• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing FN PBR/ McRee stock question

Mjolnir23

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2012
I have a PBR XP that I put into the G5 McRee stock and I am having some problems with getting the magazines to seat. I have contacted McRee several times asking what is the common fix, but they said that there are too many different variations of the Winchester action to have a specific fix. I read in another thread someone saying to do a search of the FN bottom metal thread but I have turned up nothing. Just wondering if anybody has any specific solutions or experience with this action and chassis?

On the FN PBR/SPR you need to open up the bottom front of the receiver to fit AI mags. The FN TBM kits uses there own mags and you do not need to mod the receiver. You have to use AI/AM mags in the McRee. I remember seeing pics of this on here but couldnt tell you where.

I am using McRee's factory mags not AIs. I can get the mags to seat but I have to push very hard and vice versa to get them out, has anybody had this issue?

I opened mine up in the mill. Take it to your gun smith they'll open it up. I also think that cdi precision will do it cheep. Just so you know I measured my action it measured .800" and my ai mags measured .890" at the front .

If I get it opened up will it still fit McRee magazines also, I am a little confused? I would be pretty perturbed if the four McRee's magazines I bought are no longer useable after the work gets done.

It will fit both. Do not open the chassis you slightly open up the the from of the action it's self.