• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FN PBR Rifle Build

pnaples92

Private
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2011
NC
I am looking at having my first rifle built while I am deployed but I have a few questions before I can start. I have been wanting to build off of my FN PBR that I have but I have also thought about just buying a new rifle. This rifle that I want to build will be used mainly for target shooting out to 300 yards maybe farther if I can find a place that I can shoot out to farther distances. It will not be used for hunting much if at all but I still dont want a overly heavy rifle.

What I have looked at so far is:
chassis system like the XLR tactical or something similar
threaded Kreiger, Hart or Lija barrel possibly keeping the 20"
Action work
Jewell Trigger
fixing a few cosmetic problems with the bolt mainly pitting on the bolt sleeve

But I have also thought about just buying a new rifle or just dropping that whole idea and buying one of the SPR series rifles. I have been looking at a SPR for a while but I have not bought one yet. I have a thing for FNs with the exception of the M2s my battery has. I am open to other companies for a new rifle. As for caliber it really doesn't matter but I have a good amount of 308s loaded with 155 scenar and 168 SMK.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

An SPR A1A would be a great place to start. Have it bedded, minor trigger work, maybe a Stocdoc cheekpiece and you're good to go. PCR can hook you with a bolt knob if you're so inclined.
If you're deadset on a chassis then a Stiller action maybe be you're best bet. Sounds like you plan on replacing most of the components

I think Strike33 has some pretty sound advice as far as the A1a being a good start. Stiller actions are pretty good too if you are planning on a custom build. Good luck either way.

My suggestion is price out everything you want to build your PBR and compare it to the price of an A1 or A5M. I have a PBR, a TRG 22, and a custom rifle built on a Surgeon Action. The sad thing is the PBR shoots under MOA for me and is completely stock. Now my custom rifles shoot better but I paid a heck of a lot more. I still wonder how well my PBR would shoot with a new stock, barrel, and action work.

My point is my PBR was my first bolt gun and I love it, but if its gonna cost you as much as a new rifle to build it the way you want I say buy the new rifle.

If you decide to build the PBR I like the XLR chassis (have been looking at one myself) and would go with a Kreiger barrel. I have my stock trigger adjusted to 3lbs and must say its as nice as my Timney's (never shot a jewel) just not sure if you need to upgrade it.

Either way keep us posted on you decision I would be very interested to see a custom PBR, not many of them floating around on here and that's prob my next project.

First off thanks for all the replies. I have been pricing out the build there is a local gunsmith that will work on my FN and the cost is 2450 for:
Using your right or left handed, long or short custom receiver including the trigger guard OR we can square & trued your factory receiver, bolt lugs and lug seats, bolt face and nose also must include trigger guard.
Ground recoil lug.
28" Lapped, Match Grade Custom Barrel, customers choice of brand, with a choice of bead blasted, scratch swirl, or polished finish.
Our laminated stock in your choice of color gloss or satin clear coat finish. Right or left handed, using either long or short action, 1.250 (+) diameter straight barrel channel with decelerator pad installed.
"Zero Stress" pillar bedded with brass pillars. Then fully glassed with Devcon or Steelbed.
Jewell BR trigger with bolt stop. Customer specified pull weight.

I am going to the smith sometime this week to get a more concrete price but that is just what they quoted me over the phone.
Does this sound worth the price? Also going this way I could change the caliber if I wanted to. It also isnt a 12-14month wait like I have been told by other smiths I have contacted about this. Although I still have 10months before I will be even able to have the opportunity to shoot my gun no matter which route I go.

As for buying a new rifle an A3G is 2999 and a A5M 2590 which those are the two I have been looking looking at unless I went to a A1 and just got a nicer scope as I have to buy a new one either route I take.

First off thanks for all the replies. I have been pricing out the build there is a local gunsmith that will work on my FN and the cost is 2450 for:
Using your right or left handed, long or short custom receiver including the trigger guard OR we can square & trued your factory receiver, bolt lugs and lug seats, bolt face and nose also must include trigger guard.
Ground recoil lug.
28" Lapped, Match Grade Custom Barrel, customers choice of brand, with a choice of bead blasted, scratch swirl, or polished finish.
Our laminated stock in your choice of color gloss or satin clear coat finish. Right or left handed, using either long or short action, 1.250 (+) diameter straight barrel channel with decelerator pad installed.
"Zero Stress" pillar bedded with brass pillars. Then fully glassed with Devcon or Steelbed.
Jewell BR trigger with bolt stop. Customer specified pull weight.

I am going to the smith sometime this week to get a more concrete price but that is just what they quoted me over the phone.
Does this sound worth the price? Also going this way I could change the caliber if I wanted to. It also isnt a 12-14month wait like I have been told by other smiths I have contacted about this. Although I still have 10months before I will be even able to have the opportunity to shoot my gun no matter which route I go.

As for buying a new rifle an A3G is 2999 and a A5M 2590 which those are the two I have been looking looking at unless I went to a A1 and just got a nicer scope as I have to buy a new one either route I take.

That IS NOT a particularly good deal...especially with you providing the bottom metal and being stuck with their stock. Your action DOES NOT use a separate recoil lug...so i hope your local smith has a clue what he is doing. Also, iirc jewell no longer makes a winchester compatible trigger...and your quote does not include paintwork. Find another smith...

Last edited:
again that is just what I was quoted over the phone without them looking at the gun that quote was the generic one that they had on there webpage. I will update the price when I can get my rifle out to him. I also do like some of the stocks that they stock. It isnt a chassis but it is something I can live with.

The parts to build an pbr based custom, including a rifle basix trigger, will cost you right around $1300 ($100 trigger, $300 barrel, $700 stock, $200 bottom metal). Gunsmithing to put it all together should run no more than $1000...my smith did my 4 spr based builds for $600 each including muzzle threading and painting the metal for $600 each.

To build on what 19Scout77 is saying, My custom rifle built on a surgeon action was $4000. $2500 of that was the action itself and riflesmith work. Also I see they want to put it in a laminate stock (wood) which I personally don't care for. Don't let them talk you into anything you don't want. I think $2450 is a little high IMO. I am not sure if you know but all SPR actions are trued from the factory so $2500 for an A5M may be the way to go. How does you PBR shoot now? and how many rounds do you have down the factory barrel? The reason I ask is you may want to buy the XLR chassis and stick the barreled action in it and see if it shoots any better, if it does just keep it stock for a while. In reality the biggest complaint I have with my PBR is the stock and factory 4rd DBM. My PBR shoots well as is and I would shoot the barrel out before I put a new barrel on it, the stock and bottom metal on the other hand is a different story.

It shoots fine now. I really haven't been able to shoot it as much as I took it in on trade before I got stationed in germany. So from that I am not sure how many rounds was shot though it before I got it which is why I wanted a new barrel for it. I really dont like the stock which was and has always been one thing I have wanted to change. I will look in to the A5M more to see if it is something I could do.

Just throwing this out there since you are active duty, but for $3800 you can get the M24R from Remington with everything you could possibly need, just add ammo. Mine shoots the lights out at 100 and I'm still in need of practice.

thanks I didn't know that remington sold those. I sent an email to remington to find out more about that deal and if they had any left because if i was reading it right that was a limited production thing.

I have a question about this build. Is it really worth upgrading to the Cdi bottom metal? What makes them so good and worth justifying the cost of the bottom metal and 75$ per mag

'92, I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. If the stock on the PBR does not fit you and you believe a chassis would improve your shooting than take the time to try some different designs. Find a Tac match somewhere nearby and ask some of the guys if you can get behind their rigs. Stock/chassis fit is very personal. If you just are ready for something different than have at it. I would recommend the A1. Check some of the recent FN SPR threads. An A1 stock can be easily modified to fit most shooters and those FN threads will explain all the benefits of an SPR. Lots of guys have used the CDI bottom metal with success but FN now has a DBM for about $300.00. You can get a new A5 with that DBM. The principal reason to go with a magazine bottom metal is for use in tactical matches which may require rapid reloads.

Check with Mike, screen name TACCORD, he is a hide sponsor and you'll find him in the commercial sales forum.

I would not go with the local smith as described. First, you would get killed on resale. Second, the reason to go with a custom build over a higher end factory rifle, is to get exactly what you want and that takes time to figure out.