• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fn Rifles.

KRM427

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
Virginia
Are FN tactical rifles worth the slightly stiff price tag? My wife wants to get into shooting with me and I'm trying to find a good "factory" rifle that I dont have to have a gunsmith massage to get the accuracy she needs. Is there some other option's other than Fn. I know savage makes some good ones but she doesn't like the way they feel. What are your thoughts?

Re: Fn Rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are FN tactical rifles worth the slightly stiff price tag? My wife wants to get into shooting with me and I'm trying to find a good "factory" rifle that I dont have to have a gunsmith massage to get the accuracy she needs. Is there some other option's other than Fn. I know savage makes some good ones but she doesn't like the way they feel. What are your thoughts? </div></div>

Get the FN.
You might save the $$ with the Savage, but you will save on the head ache listening to her about how she does not like it.

excuse? Are the triggers adjustable? I thought I'd ask about Fn because I dont know anyone who has one or I dont see them at the range ever. I know that they are proven, I guess I should have been more specific. Are they worth 1500bucks? I considered finding a used Rem700 and having it trued up and bedded in a mcs-t.

FN rifles are shooters, at least the rifles I've personally been around. I'd strongly recommend installing pillars, epoxy bedding, and adjusting trigger but other then those minor tweaks the rifles are very solid out of the box performers.

For some reason I hear a lot of people bash them locally, but both of the rifles I've shot were great shooters.

the one I was looking at is 2500 bucks. Which is why I asked the original question..Are they worth that much?? For 500 more I can get one from Short Action Customs, Or GA Precision etc etc. I cant immagine paying that kind of money if they need a few tweeks here and there to get the full potential out of it.
Does savage make one comparable?

You are looking at the SPR right? Which model are you looking at? 2500 is a bit steep, unless you are looking at the A3G, which is not worth the money in my opinion. You should be able to snag an A1 or A1a for about 1500-1700. The A5 is a bit more, from what I have seen.

I'd take a look at the Remington R5. That baby is a tack driver straight outta the box. I held one at Hyatt Gunshop last Saturday & it was silky smooth. It had a nice HS Precision stock on it that felt GREAT & the bolt/action was so nice. FN makes a fine weapon though if that's what you have your heart set on.

You can buy all the GAP and AI rifles you want right here on the hide,seems they are so good that everybody wants to sell you thiers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the one I was looking at is 2500 bucks.</div></div>

FN Makes a nice rifle. They have Mid and top end offerings.

What I have generally found with women and small stature shooters is that an adjustable stock makes if much easier to get them comfortable behind the rifle.

Another option would be to grab a Remington 700 ADL Varmint (cheapest heavy barrel) and drop it into a chassis system. You will be less than the upper end FN SPRs and you will be able to dial the fit in to her body type. As she develops some skill with the system, you have a phone book full of custom rifle smiths who can true and rebarrel the action so that it is an absolute match grade rifle.

This is the route we have gone with my wife's rifle. I need to get the barrel cut back to 20" so she can swing it a little faster, but she loves the rig and enjoys shooting it much more than my AI.

IMG_8012.jpg

Looks as though TAC-CORD's price has gone up fifty bucks. I think they're still a hell of a buy. You get an adjustable MAC A4 stock, an easily adjustable trigger, a bedding job, a 20MOA rail, CRF action, chrome lined barrel, a rep. here on the hide (Action Guy) and reputedly good CS (don't know personally, mine hasn't needed any).

As to accuracy, most threads indicate the SPRs are, +/-, a .5MOA gun with many doing better. Mine certainly is. What's not to like except a 4rd. DBM.

A FN Herstal rifle is a GREAT investment! I was a little shy about the investment at first, although, I went ahead with the purchase.

Four years after purchasing the rifle I noticed imperfections in the bore...I sent the rifle back thinking they would at the very least they would replace the barrel and charge me for it. To my surprise, they REPLACED the entire rifle and since they didn't make my model anymore, they upgraded the rifle.

I have heard horror stories from guys about many different manufacturers service work. Needless to say, I feel that FNH went above and beyond my expectations and they have a customer for life.

Buy with confidence!

Kind regards,
Jared

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the one I was looking at is 2500 bucks. Which is why I asked the original question..Are they worth that much?? For 500 more I can get one from Short Action Customs, Or GA Precision etc etc. I cant immagine paying that kind of money if they need a few tweeks here and there to get the full potential out of it.
Does savage make one comparable? </div></div>

I just scored a nice FN SPR A1 in gunbroker for $1000 + shipping. There is another one for 1299 right now. Buy second hand carefully can save a lot of coins. New cars lose 30% value the minute it's driven out of dealer's lot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are FN tactical rifles worth the slightly stiff price tag? My wife wants to get into shooting with me and I'm trying to find a good "factory" rifle that I dont have to have a gunsmith massage to get the accuracy she needs. Is there some other option's other than Fn. I know savage makes some good ones but she doesn't like the way they feel. What are your thoughts? </div></div>

I'm hip on McMillan stocks(understatement),I drive a plethora of "actions" and simply weigh COAL latitude,size/weight,in extrapolation to where I wish a build to take me.

My FN SPR A1 was(is) a sound rifle,yet wanes in it's potential. The throat is Linda Lovelace long,the DBM is shy of 700 s/a constraints(no matter the box it's fed and I have (4) to opt),plus the barrel is too long. Would love to see an A5 stocked version at 22" in a chrome-lined bore,wearing an AICS-esque 2.950" COAL box,which kissed the throat at a like length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carolinablue50</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a look at these SPR A2's.....Fantastic price for the rifle and to have them bedded, plus you'd be supporting a Hide sponsor...... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2540582#Post2540582. Definitely not $2500 either. </div></div>

I have one of these from this guy. Incredible value and a great shooter. He also has mags for 25 bucks AND he beds the rifle before shipping it. Thumbs up.

I have the A3G and love it. I hope mine does as well as the ones the FBI tested. 10,000 rounds and still sub MOA

I had an older a1 w the hs precision stock and 26" barrel. It shot 168 FGMM 3/4" at 200 yards all day long. Also have a FN a3g. Shoots 1/2moa also. Love the positive feed mod 70 action.

Good shooting ....

The only accuracy enhancement the A3G gets is the full glass bed. A5M and all other black-stocked SPRs are only bedded under the recoil lug and the tang.

Surface finish: A3G is phosphated, A5M is black oxide.

The barreled actions of the A3G and the A5M and all other SPRs are the same otherwise.

I'm nearly sold on this rifle as well as my first precision bolt gun. The other option I have been considering is a 700 5R. That rifle does not have as nice a stock (and you can't buy one with a free bedding job!) but it is still pretty nice and has an excellent out of the box reputation and you can find it easily for $1000 new.

If you didnt mind a BDL style bottom, you could look into the Winchester Stealth. It is the same action as a FNH rifle, but with a lower price tag (got mine for $850). Shoots well.

I have two FN rifles in the shop that I have for sale right now. I was just going to sell the hinged floor plate A2 and keep the CDI bottom metal A2, but they both need to go.

Here is what is great about FN rifles.

-Excellent extraction out of the chamber via Claw extractor.
-Better extraction (Bolt handle to action extraction cam) than Remington 700.
-Factory 8/40 scope base screws with Badger or Near MFG 20 MOA base.
-Better bolt stop design.
-Stronger bolt handle, I have only seen one rip off the rear splines.
-Chrome lined barrels that just seems to be absolute shooters.
-McMillan stocks are factory on most FN SPR models.

Here is what I dont like

-It gets expensive and not as easy to install a good DBM system
-Only one name in town for DBM's for SPR's.
-A lot of material is removed out of the action to facilitate Mechanical ejector, bolt stop and trigger mechanism. So I believe that the action is not as stiff as a Remington.
-SPR's are more difficult to bed and can be touchy if not bedded correctly.

I would get the FN and never look back. They make great rifles and at the very least, it would be a great platform to build upon at a later date.

FN RIFLES FOR SALE

Mark

I recommend a TRG 22. Best trigger availible and they shoot way better than you can possibly imagine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savageman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recommend a TRG 22. Best trigger availible and they shoot way better than you can possibly imagine. </div></div>

fan boys.... there are other rifles... Like FN

I have 2 FN's (diff Calibers). The reason I got the second one was the first one has been a great shooter right out of the box. And with a predicted barrel life of 5K plus, it will last forever. Buy once, cry once. worth it for me. I did have APA put a brake on it tho. That was worth it as well.

No regrets with mine and the replacement CDI bottom metal & AI mags makes it "perfect" for me.

DSC_0007_.jpg

Does she enjoy shooting, or is this a new activity for her? If a new activity, I'd go with FP10, 20 inch, with a threaded barrel. Put a brake on it and upgrade the stock if need be. On the other hand, if she decides she doesn't like to shoot, you get a nice FN to play around with. Decisions.... decisions!

I just sold a Savage LE FCP 10 which shot good. I bought the FN through Tac-Coord and just went to the range with it yesterday. There is simply no comparison between it and the Savage. The quality of the trigger and the stock alone make up the price difference. With a JP brake it has no perceivable recoil! As long as your wife doesn't have to carry it, she will love it!

Mt first precision rifle. It is what I am learning on. FN SPR A3g. S&B PM-II 3-12 MTC optic.

I liked the test target it cames with. .315 MOA and I like that it had a chromed barrel. Learning, I didn't want the extra worry of screwing up my barrel somehow. It seems that is not an issue actually but at the time, I was concerned. You know...the million "How do I break in my rifle" threads.

I took it deer hunting last week. I now run FGGM 168 factory in it. I have a target load worked up and a hunting load.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regards,
Greyson

A custom, built on an spr action with the barrel and stock and bottom metal of your choice can be had for darned close to $2500.

That is what I paid for mine. And I choose the one with the best test target. I believe mine was bedded by GAP.

6 and 1/2 dozen on the other. Truthfully, at the time I was shopping I didn't have enough experience to spec out a custom build. I certainly looked at it. For me, it was nice this rifle was all ready to go per FBI specs. Even now I am still forming opinions and experiences as to what I would prefer or not prefer.

Regards,
Greyson