• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SCAR? go or no go?

regatoni5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
San Diego CA
Deciding on whether or not I should invest in a SCAR (light) as a closer/intermediate range rifle. I've gone through a lot of AR15's and still have a few at the moment, but the 2500 dollar price tag is a lip biter! Any scar owners out there have good input/insight? Any general advice is welcome too!

Cheers!

Re: FN SCAR? go or no go?

Trigger is absolutely horrible, so add $200 onto that for the geissele.

I believe the geiselle scar trigger is more than $200. I can live with the stock trigger, but it isn't great.

Other than that, the scar is a nice rifle. I bought one of the early rifles because I was sure it was the greatest rifle I would own. Now I find myself hardly shooting the scar and adding to my ar collection. Only reason I am hanging onto my scar is the fact that one day they may not be available to civilians and the possibility of factory sbr barrels.

The scar is a soft shooting, and very reliable rifle but so is my colt 6920 for half the price. I would think hard before deciding to pick up a scar, IMO they are not for everyone.

If you are comfortable shooting the AR platform stick with that. The set up of the SCAR can be a pain in the finger. I have the 553 with arms release and it took a chunk away from one finger. If you do the SCAR plan on running the PWS rail extension to relieve yourself of cut fingers or run a 1-4 scope set up. You will like the break down of it and how lil pieces there are. As well as the 45 degree safety instead of the 90 like AR's and ACR has. The replacement trigger would be a must but it can wait at 350 or so. You will really tell the difference if you shoot an AR with a match trigger then go to the SCAR then you will see first hand why people dont like it. If you are right handed shooter u will find it kinda cool but weird feeling locking the bolt to the rear with one hand using your fingers on the charging handle and thumb to lock the bolt. IMO if they took the ACR and SCAR and slammed them together that would be great. Hope this helped a lil. Also, check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC3EmQwv8hk

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HAVOC615</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are comfortable shooting the AR platform stick with that. The set up of the SCAR can be a pain in the finger. I have the 553 with arms release and it took a chunk away from one finger. If you do the SCAR plan on running the PWS rail extension to relieve yourself of cut fingers or run a 1-4 scope set up. You will like the break down of it and how lil pieces there are. As well as the 45 degree safety instead of the 90 like AR's and ACR has. The replacement trigger would be a must but it can wait at 350 or so. You will really tell the difference if you shoot an AR with a match trigger then go to the SCAR then you will see first hand why people dont like it. If you are right handed shooter u will find it kinda cool but weird feeling locking the bolt to the rear with one hand using your fingers on the charging handle and thumb to lock the bolt. IMO if they took the ACR and SCAR and slammed them together that would be great. Hope this helped a lil. Also, check this out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC3EmQwv8hk </div></div>

I hear you on that! I've had more than my fair share of finger pains with optic mounts while charging the thing as well as misplaced hands. I do like having the stock ambi controls as i am left handed but living in commifornia, it would pretty much negate some of the luxuries that the scar has to offer. I must've watched that video a dozen times today and its making me want one that much more haha. Thanks for all of the good input, I think I'm going to take the plunge on this one. I'll report back what I come across!

More insight/suggestions are welcome please!

I prefer to handle my Semi's with gloves feels better to charge and change mags, more grip I feel on the little parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckfishdive</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one wears gloves? </div></div>

i usually do on, but i wear thin baseball gloves and that's probably my downfall.

looks like im going on gunbroker for this on, my local shop could do 2990 at best for a light. . . gotta be kidding me!

I found one for 2500 during a black friday sale, but i just bought a scope before that so I missed out.

I have a scar 17 and absolutely love it compared to ar10 type rifles. But when it comes to 223 the ar15 platform has alot to offer for less money. Do some searching for better price though i paid 2500 for my 17s this summer, they had a 16 for 2250.
.02 more cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eoperator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a scar 17 and absolutely love it compared to ar10 type rifles. But when it comes to 223 the ar15 platform has alot to offer for less money. Do some searching for better price though i paid 2500 for my 17s this summer, they had a 16 for 2250.
.02 more cents </div></div>

I've got a couple solid AR platforms, at this point I'm just looking for a new platform to take out and have some fun with. Good point with the 17 though, if I can find one for that price I might just jump on it.

Just got an outstanding offer on a SCAR, jumping on it. anymore .02 cents are welcome!

I see nothing not to like on the 17 after a shooting buddy went with one last summer. In the local 3-gun matches I was consistently beating his scores with me running a scoped FAL against his AR10 types (including a Reaper with superior accuracy).

As soon as he added the G trigger, along with good glass, to the 17, the scores reversed. Hard to explain, but in 7.62 the SCAR just works very very well in our 3 gun matches - in both the long and shorter range stages. We both shoot surplus Aussie F4 ball, btw.

The SCAR is an awesome gun to shoot because the recoil on it is ridiculous. The breakdown and cleaning of the SCAR is also very simple and can be done pretty quickly. The reciprocating handle sort of sucks because it can interfere with how you grip the weapon. I find myself shooting my AR15 more for some reason...

I just got my SCAR 16 in FDE-- so far love it! I wanted one because I wanted to run my suppressor and not foul the chamber. It shoots like a dream, although I will probably smooth out the trigger (I'll probably eventually shell out the $$ for the Geissle). A couple of friends and I ran the rifle through a few maneuvers, and it performed flawlessly. It is very light, but shoot softly-- more of a push rather than a whack. I would love to get a short barrel for it, but no word on when they will be available.

BTW, GT Distributers has them for $2185.

I ran a MK17 on a deployment for 7 months. Its a nice, compact rifle in 7.62. Having said that, I would never buy one. Its cheaply made, and the weak points (the lock on the folding stock, the trigger mech) are definitely prone to failure. That's all good when you have spare parts that are free, but when your paying for them yourselves than screw that. Just my 2 cents.

I think the SCAR-L is extremely overpriced. Compared to how much most ARs cost. I bought an ACR basic for 1300. Thats money saved that you can spend on other things.

Not to bash the ACR or turn it into an ACR vs SCAR debate but..... my SCAR and my KAC SR15 were a few hundred dollars of each other and are in turn close in price to other top tier AR's. The ACR on the other hand has dropped significantly in price where the SR15, SCAR and other top tier AR's have not. So either the SCAR, SR15, Novesky etc etc are all over priced OR the ACR is under priced or the public does not see the value in the acr causing its price to drop usually due to poor sales... The only comment that I can make about the ACR is that I did not like one bit how it handled. That is what stopped me from buying one.

Shane

I debated over a Knights or a SCAR, ended up with the SCAR. The deciding factor was that I have AR's and the SCAR is different. The trigger is tolerable, I'm not in a panic to go repace it. The recoil is fantastic. I mounted an aimpoint with larue mounts and switched the handle to the right side, I'm right handed, and it doesn't interfere with how I grip it. The breakdown took some getting used to, but now I actually prefer it over an AR. Enjoy yours if you end up getting it!

I have a SR25 and SCAR17 - SR beats the 17 out in accuracy (I have an older one that thankfully shoots 1/2 minute all day), but the SR will beat the balls out of your shoulder if you spend the day with it. SCAR definately has a softer recoil impulse and is ultra reliable. Anyone know where I can find some more mags for the 17?????

I bought the SCAR17 and the KAC EMC. I found the EMC to be slightly lighter on recoil to me anyway. I kept the Kac and sold the SCAR. With that being said I did like it and may add one back to the tool box at a later date when funds alow.

I love mine!

2q067ty.jpg

The reversible base of the Bobro mount is perfect for the SCAR if you run your CH on the left side:

3zwv6.jpg

400 bucks for a trigger at midway usa makes for an expensive 5.56 at the end of the day