• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SCAR H opinions

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
just watched a youtube vid of this rifle at the shot show.. i have been excited for the 308 scar to come out and kinda thinking maybe i should dump the usc for it. before i do any one play with one of these ?

Re: FN SCAR H opinions

not the 17, I pulled the trigger a couple times on a 16 and it was very light recoiling and lightweight too.
I am sure this didn't help much.

shot mine alittle ,Its well balanced for off hand shooting and my wife said it was fun shooting with out much recoil .

watching some of the youtube videos, it looks like they have quite a bit of recoil. i never shot one so i dont know. but would buy one in heartbeat. i think its the only modern 308 battle rifle right now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard SOCOM dropped the SCAR as the replacement for the M4. Any truth behind this? </div></div>

Don't know anything about the SCAR being dropped, but I have a really good friend (one of my former students) in SOCOM who's unit uses the SCAR. I called him up just recently to ask his opinion on them because I'm thinking very hard about getting either a SCAR 16 or 17. My impression was he was not terribly impressed but he didn't dislike them either. It sounded like there were pros and cons. He really liked the compactness and weight and particularily mentioned the slick grenade launcher setup and the modularity of the system. He particularily hated the fact that the bolt handle reciprocates during cycling. I think his exact words were " what f*&king moron came up with that idea?"

Overall, he said it was a wash between that and the M4 and he didn't see any HUGE advantages of one over the other.

I think I still want a SCAR nonetheless, to add to my collection.

I handled a 17 and I came away feeling kind of meh so what . It appears to be a very well thought out weapon and has alot of ergonomics , but Im use to the ar platform and my lar-8 just feels better or more familiar if you know what I mean.

I dont like the forward folding front sight. Seems like the CNC guy programmed it backwards and they just ran with it.

I like the SCAR a lot. I had a 16s and they got a lot of things right. The only issue I see is the lack of aftermarket triggers. The FN trigger is OK but can't work in a DMR role.

i like how light the scar rifles are when compared to their ar counterparts. also the rear sight is very nice, and doesnt block your view of the objective area as much as many other sights. on the downside the reciprocating charging handle isnt that cool, since it will probably cause a malfunction and hurt your thumb if the two meet. but im sure training can overcome that problem.
edit--- the trigger feels heavy to me, but that can be expected in a battle rifle.

I think the only plus about the charging handle is it can be moved to the other side of the reciever to stay out of your thumbs way.

I just got one the other day and so far I am more impressed than I thought I would be. I have an AR-10 Noveske that I have been more than happy with and is accurate. When the SCAR-H came out I looked at it as a light weight alternative to that rifle. With only one short range session under my belt I can only say that the gun is more accurate than my expectations. The trigger sucks but the recoil is just fine. I didn't notice any extra recoil at all. I am pleased with the gun overall and would recomend it without any hesitation.

I have the 16s. Trigger is more of a combat/battle trigger, not for a DMR role. I think its alright, maybe im use to it. I believe Timney is either in the process or is thinking of building a trigger. I dont know, just some rumors over at FNforum. I say buy the SCAR.

I have a 18S and like everything about it except the tigger is not what I ex[ected. Gritty take up and a little on the heavy side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the forward folding front sight. Seems like the CNC guy programmed it backwards and they just ran with it.</div></div>

yeah seems like it could get knicked and rust off. Also think the SCAR's butt could be used for bashing shit quite nicely

16 is underwhelming for all the initial hype. 17 is a nice 7.62 platform, but my biggest complaints are the reciprocating charging handle and the proprietary mag. The charging handle won't be a big deal for most guys at a flat range, but if you're shooting and moving around barriers its going to bite you bad at some point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFTexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16 is underwhelming for all the initial hype. 17 is a nice 7.62 platform, but my biggest complaints are the reciprocating charging handle and the proprietary mag. The charging handle won't be a big deal for most guys at a flat range, but if you're shooting and moving around barriers its going to bite you bad at some point.

Why not just move it to the right side ? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the forward folding front sight. Seems like the CNC guy programmed it backwards and they just ran with it.</div></div>

yeah seems like it could get knicked and rust off. Also think the SCAR's butt could be used for bashing shit quite nicely </div></div>

this! also i think it begs to meet hog brains with minor buttstock mods involving meat tenderizer and tape

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marduk185</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoatHead</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont like the forward folding front sight. Seems like the CNC guy programmed it backwards and they just ran with it.</div></div>

yeah seems like it could get knicked and rust off. Also think the SCAR's butt could be used for bashing shit quite nicely </div></div>

this! also i think it begs to meet hog brains with minor buttstock mods involving meat tenderizer and tape </div></div>

One day the may even make a stock for it with a blade that works much like a switchblade for when you run out of, or need to save your precious ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbosa22c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">watching some of the youtube videos, it looks like they have quite a bit of recoil. i never shot one so i dont know. but would buy one in heartbeat. i think its the only modern 308 battle rifle right now. </div></div>

We have done testing with the SCAR H selectfire version using tri-axial Piezoelectric accelermeters to measure mechanical variations for some thermal imaging aplications. The weapon platform has an unusual acceleration curve with a pretty high peak number. It also produces a -g number that some optics may find tough to deal with long term. The gun does shoot nice and provides good accuracy from what was recorded.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swordfish</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFTexan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">16 is underwhelming for all the initial hype. 17 is a nice 7.62 platform, but my biggest complaints are the reciprocating charging handle and the proprietary mag. The charging handle won't be a big deal for most guys at a flat range, but if you're shooting and moving around barriers its going to bite you bad at some point.

Why not just move it to the right side ? </div></div></div></div>

If you just move it to the other side, you still have a metal rod moving back and forth just inches from your hands and face. Having to transition to a "non-dominant hand" shot around or under a barrier could too easily result in the charging handle making contact with the barrier or, worst case, the shooter. This isn't a big deal for everyone, but seeing as it was addressed on the FN FAL, G3, M16, M249, etc. decades ago it should have been addressed by the SCAR builders,