• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPECIAL POLICE RIFLE action

Bluejazz

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2009
IOWA
I have an opportunity to buy an overrun action for $400.00 but am not familiar with the type of action, and don't know if it is a good deal, and if it a good action to build a rifle on.
The action is a FN and is says SPECIAL POLICE RIFLE on the side of the receiver.
It is a SA w/ DMB system similar to a HS Precision system,comes complete with trigger and 20 MOA rail. The bolt is control feed. Basically, the action reminds me of a Win Model 70. Anyone familiar with these, and are they any good?

Re: FN SPECIAL POLICE RIFLE action

My understanding is that they are a FN produced pre 64 Win M70. If I were in the market for a donor action for a build It would be on my short list.

I'm not sure on how good a deal it is though.

Get it. We bought three and they are tack driving dudes. You could pay 3x more and not get as good a shooter. Makes a nice tree stand gun, hay field gun or varmint rifle.

By all means. Great actions.

FWIW- they are not pre-64 actions, they are post 64 classic short actions. The scope mounts are different but for the most part they are post-64 SAs. CDI bottom metal is the shit, and they can be made into real nice precision rifles. That being said, building a Winchester is like racing a Ford, fewer things are available, they cost more, and it takes longer to get it. I still love my winnies...

do it wish more people would because then the acc. would be more available, however that being said I don't need anything other than cdi dbm or williams floorplate. you can just as easily order a stock from manners or mcmillan and the triggers are easily adj. and great. also they come with a very nice 20moa rail. my buddy and I are about to order a few for future builds. also mark at short action customs can give you a top notch badger knob along with jeff at cdi. 2 of the best in the bizz.

good luck with your build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RQI</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW- they are not pre-64 actions, they are post 64 classic short actions. The scope mounts are different but for the most part they are post-64 SAs. CDI bottom metal is the shit, and they can be made into real nice precision rifles. That being said, building a Winchester is like racing a Ford, fewer things are available, they cost more, and it takes longer to get it. I still love my winnies...</div></div>
I thought all post-64's were "push feed", which these are not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J-Ham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I thought all post-64's were "push feed", which these are not. </div></div>

There are both "push-feed' Post 64 M70s, as well as post 64 M70 "Classic" actions. These "Classic" actions are basically CRF actions, but they can also close on a chambered round (extractor is relieved to be able to snap over rim). Good actions.

Cheers,

Bill

Ah, thanks for the info. So correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, this would be a better design than a standard pre-64 action?

Good question, and that depends on how you look at it - true CRF is going to rip the rim off or pull out the case. If the extractor can snap over a chambered round, as in the M70 Classic, then the reverse could also be true (but unlikely, due to the chamfer angles).

I can't get my M70 Classic 375 H&H to jam, no matter what I do (short-stroke, upside down, slow/fast, whatever). I do prefer the M70 Classic's ability to "throw a round on top" over true CRF, but that's a personal preference.

Cheers,

Bill

Yeah, I tend to agree with you about having the ability to throw a round on top. Thank you very much, Bill. Very good to know.

You're quite welcome. I have no experience with pre-64 M70s, so I can't tell you if they are "true CRFs", or like the Classic, in that regard.

Best,

Bill

Just make damn sure you get 3 or 4 extra mags for it.
It is a SA, but it is a WSM SA..........there is a difference.