• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FN SPR 284 Win - short action

Re: FN SPR 284 Win Build Complete (pretty much)

Dammit, i cant decide on either a .284 or a 7saum for the Shilen sitting in my safe...

Did RE17 prove to not be compatiable or is it temp sensitive like all the other RE powders? Without going through the whole thread, using Alpha mags i presume?

I have a short action waiting for me to pull my finger out but i was going to finish the barrel @ 26" and use 162 A-maxs, whichever cartridge i choose...My friends are telling me to go with the saum but after my second shoulder reconstruction, i was in favour of the .284.

Awesome rifle man.

Haven't tried RE17 with this barrel. I tried it with the last barrel and couldn't find any advantage.

Yep, Alpha IIIs and IVs.

The 7 SAUM is very enticing but brass availability sucks, unless you're willing to fork out $2.00+ EACH for Nosler. The $0.63/each Remington is always on a looong back order. I could be wrong, but I would guess availability is worse in Australia?

Recoil: I'm 32 years old, 6'2" and 200lb, so recoil isn't a huge factor for me. I find the 284 very acceptable but nonetheless, it is a good step up from a 308. I can generally watch hits @ 150-200 yards with my unbraked 308, and could NOT with my 284 before installing the brake. Even with a brake, there is recoil.

Definitely consider the shooting you do. If it's out to "only" 1000 yards, the 7-08, 284 and 7SAUM/WSM will run very close to one another in wind, with the higher capacity cartridges showing moderate advantage in trajectory. Really no need at all for a 3000+fps 7mm for these purposes. However, the 284 distances itself from the 708 past 1000 yards, and the magnums distance themselves from the 284 past ~1200...not that a 284 isn't capable out there, just that the magnum starts showing its superiority.

Thanks for the accolades and good luck with your choice!

Thanks for the info Turbo.

Like you i'm an addict for all things 7mm but haven't been near my hunting rifle, a 7lb,7mmRM since the surgery 6 months ago (tore my rotater cuff muscle in half.)

I think i might stick to my original plan of a .248 and stick a good brake on it, then i dont have to get someone to open the bolt face or try and find brass. The barrel is a sendero profile and i already have a McMillan A2 for it. I'm hoping the extra weight and stock will help with recoil.