• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR actions for sale

MDStroup

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2011
Chesapeake,Virginia
Found out that RRguns has some FN SPR actions for sale,a little price though, when I first was look for information on the m70 stealth I want to buy. Completely forgot about it until now. Funny thing is all the time I spent looking specificly for the FN SPR action for sale, majority of what I found was old armslist ads, but fifteen minutes on google looking for the twist rate on the stealth I find this. I know some people have been looking for these for a long time now, that includes me. Would love to throw this action into a McMillan Mchale stock with a Bartlien barrel. RRGUNS.US HOME

Last edited:
Found out that RRguns has some FN SPR actions for sale,a little price though, when I first was look for information on the m70 stealth I want to buy. Completely forgot about it until now. Funny thing is all the time I spent looking specificly for the FN SPR action for sale, majority of what I found was old armslist ads, but fifteen minutes on google looking for the twist rate on the stealth I find this. I know some people have been looking for these for a long time now, that includes me. Would love to throw this action into a McMillan Mchale stock with a Bartlien barrel. RRGUNS.US HOME

It's nice that they're out there, but the price is too high. After the barrel and smith work, you're not far from the McMillan SPR(can't remember the model). If it were a Remington on the other hand, the match barrel would significantly increase accuracy; but SPRs are such good shooters outta the box that I'm not sure you'd really get your moneys worth unless you already had your preferred stock on hand.

I think $675 is fair.

Consider the alternatives:

Remington: ~$400
Savage: ~$400
Quality custom action: ~$1100+

It's nice that they're out there, but the price is too high. After the barrel and smith work, you're not far from the McMillan SPR(can't remember the model). If it were a Remington on the other hand, the match barrel would significantly increase accuracy; but SPRs are such good shooters outta the box that I'm not sure you'd really get your moneys worth unless you already had your preferred stock on hand.

The SPR a1's are around 13-1400ish. Comes with the action, CL .308/300WSM Barrel, Mcmillan A3 , Near Base and the shitty FN DBM.

Alot of people dont like the McMillan stocks, Alot of people don't want a .308, and alot of people dont crappy bottom metal with crappy mags.

A 700 all trued up is going to cost you over $700, and its still a 700.

Fully Trued Pre-64 style winchester action for $675 is a pretty good deal. I would put them on par with other custom actions, but they just arent that popular. Too many shitty ass smiths out there that are too dumb/lazy to work on anything but the cash cow M700.

You could have one hell of a rifle built up for a good price. In fact, Im debating just buying one of these instead of butchering one of my M70's for a donor action.

The SPR a1's are around 13-1400ish. Comes with the action, CL .308/300WSM Barrel, Mcmillan A3 , Near Base and the shitty FN DBM.

Alot of people dont like the McMillan stocks, Alot of people don't want a .308, and alot of people dont crappy bottom metal with crappy mags.

Fully Trued Pre-64 style winchester action for $675 is a pretty good deal. I would put them on par with other custom actions, but they just arent that popular. Too many shitty ass smiths out there that are too dumb/lazy to work on anything but the cash cow M700.

You could have one hell of a rifle built up for a good price. In fact, Im debating just buying one of these instead of butchering one of my M70's for a donor action.
Cobracutter if you end up buying one of these actions from rrguns could you tell us if it already has the Near mfg. scope base on it.

You're right. After I thought about it I deleted the post because its a fair deal when you break it down. It was nothing against the action, just wasn't sure on what they're asking.

It's not a bad deal if it comes with the Near Mfg base. Not all do, some come with Badger bases, which I don't think are nearly as good as the Near.

The FN SPR actions are great to build off of. So are Tikkas for that matter.

I don't understand the fascination of taking trash can Rem700 factory action and putting tons of work into it to make it worth a damn.

I have owned about a dozen SPRs both factory and custom. That said, i would never buy another. Yes, they are great action, but for all practical purposes,they give you nothing over a 700...and you are severely handicapped when it comes to accessories.

I have owned about a dozen SPRs both factory and custom. That said, i would never buy another. Yes, they are great action, but for all practical purposes,they give you nothing over a 700...and you are severely handicapped when it comes to accessories.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but most folks, myself included, would disagree they "give nothing over a 700".

Let facts be presented to a candid world:

1. An excellent 3 position safety that disengages the striker - a design though copied from the Mauser, was also much later copied by AI with the AW.
2. flat bottom received that more solidly couples action to chassis/stock - also included on an AIAW.
3. Integral recoil lug
4. Reliable and good 2-lever trigger
5. Epic CRF
6. Trued from the factory

Does a 700 work great? Sure.

Does an SPR offer more? Absolutely.

My opinion is ~$275 extra over a Savage or Remington for all those features is a deal.

It's not a bad deal if it comes with the Near Mfg base. Not all do, some come with Badger bases, which I don't think are nearly as good as the Near.

The FN SPR actions are great to build off of. So are Tikkas for that matter.

I don't understand the fascination of taking trash can Rem700 factory action and putting tons of work into it to make it worth a damn.

Exactly.... Hence why I own T3 Sporter and a SPR LOL.

Tell me please.. what accsesories you need that you can't get with a Win70/SPR? And Sorry, Tripple headed roto dildo does not count.

I will admit that the SPR does not have NEARLY the options for a DBM that the 700 does... That being said, I own 2 of them, haha!

I have experienced the same thing.. Gunsmiths saying they are crap or not willing to work on them.. primarily because.. they were not taught to work on them.. They are a good action for the money, and I own two SPR's myself. It is funny also because the same smiths will then show me a rem700 receiver that the scope mount holes are out of centerline, the face is so out of wack it is funny, the bolt handle needs to be screwed in to make sure it won't break off, the action threads are out, the firing pins are not straight, bolt body issues, and even saw one action that the internal lugs had been milled into on accident from the feedramp side.. reducing enough material that the smith wouldn't use the action for a rsaum project because of the inherent hot round and lack of locking service for the bolt lugs. The list also goes on.. So you find yourself there scratching your head when seconds later they tell you the m70 style fn actions are "junk".

PTG is selling winchester mod 70 drop in bottom metal for the mark 1 A.E. Mags for $99, and they also sell a bottom metal that will accept the A.I 3901 (5 rounds) and A.I. 3902 10rnd chassis mags now, that is similar to a badger/etc..

I have a spr .308 and I took the Ax 308 out head to head with my spr.. I did multiple .4 shot groups with the spr with match ammo, and two .55 -.6 groups with the ax.. Now that is me shooting, and the ax is capable of more I know.. But I got my fn for 1100, and the ax I was shooting cost about $7k. Just food for thought.

Reactions: brian_smith
has anyone put an indicator on an SPR receiver to see how "true" they are after being "trued" at the factory. I REALLY wish I would have bought a bunch of these from CDNN a few years ago. I knew they were a steal but I didn't know they were going to dry up.

chuck

I have experienced the same thing.. Gunsmiths saying they are crap or not willing to work on them.. primarily because.. they were not taught to work on them.. They are a good action for the money, and I own two SPR's myself. It is funny also because the same smiths will then show me a rem700 receiver that the scope mount holes are out of centerline, the face is so out of wack it is funny, the bolt handle needs to be screwed in to make sure it won't break off, the action threads are out, the firing pins are not straight, bolt body issues, and even saw one action that the internal lugs had been milled into on accident from the feedramp side.. reducing enough material that the smith wouldn't use the action for a rsaum project because of the inherent hot round and lack of locking service for the bolt lugs. The list also goes on.. So you find yourself there scratching your head when seconds later they tell you the m70 style fn actions are "junk".

PTG is selling winchester mod 70 drop in bottom metal for the mark 1 A.E. Mags for $99, and they also sell a bottom metal that will accept the A.I 3901 (5 rounds) and A.I. 3902 10rnd chassis mags now, that is similar to a badger/etc..

I have a spr .308 and I took the Ax 308 out head to head with my spr.. I did multiple .4 shot groups with the spr with match ammo, and two .55 -.6 groups with the ax.. Now that is me shooting, and the ax is capable of more I know.. But I got my fn for 1100, and the ax I was shooting cost about $7k. Just food for thought.

Yup, Its what I have been saying all along. The 700 is a cash register for smiths. Its been an endless cycle of the blind leading the blind. I REFUSE to own a 700 or clone action. If I want a custom action, im going Badger 2008/13, or I will just build off of a Tikka action or a FN SPR action. Anyone with two brain cells can see how inferior the 700 is in both design and in execution (production). Why actualy learn your craft when you can be a lazy fuck and just fix remingtons all day. There are legions of equaly idiot gun owners who will happily shell out the money, and continue to feed the beast... due to ignorance.

The people that talk about accsessories crack me up. Who gives a fuck if 10 different companies make bottom metal.... they all do the exact same thing. MY Tikka is set up EXACTLY how I would set up any gun. I will put it up against just about any custom gun in the same cal and barrel legnth and I doubt you could do much better, at even twice the cost. Same thing with the SPR's I have owned. Just as good as any custom .308 with similar features.

Yeah Cobra, I understand that there ARE bottom metal options for the FN, but what it a guy really likes, say, the Seekins bottom metal... Well then he's just kinda out of luck now isn't he?

I bought three of them from CDNN years ago, they all turned into great rifles, I will hang onto them but my next purchase will be better actions like stiller, defiance etc...

I bought multiple actions when they were cheap. Plenty of gunsmiths work on them, and they save you money in the long run because they (SPR actions) aren't pieces of shit that need to be trued. True story.

Yeah Cobra, I understand that there ARE bottom metal options for the FN, but what it a guy really likes, say, the Seekins bottom metal... Well then he's just kinda out of luck now isn't he?

When a suppressor company doesn't make a can rated for a magnum caliber and you really really need a suppressor for that 300wsm you are shooting.. What do you do Ham? Do you just say screw it.. My favorite can company doesn't have one, so that's final.. No you go take a look at another company that does. Take a second to think about what you are saying.. You are going to buy an action (one of the most essential parts of your build) based on a bottom metal BRAND (a far less essential part).. I have held both of them in my hand to compare the differences.. A PTG bottom metal for a FN action, and a Badger M5 for the Remington 700..(as well at ptg 700 vs m5 for 700) if you can find a difference that will change the functionality of your rifle on there.. please let me know.

I think what this boils down to is the frustration of a few of us saying.. This is factually a better action/deal for the consumer, and then being screamed at and told that we are stupid for thinking so... When again the facts are heavily tipped in a certain direction.. Just think about it, and our argument.. It isn't flawed, and it certainly is not flawed because someone has to have a Seekins bottom metal!

Last edited:
Defiance actions are very very nice! I have one on order as we speak!

Last edited:
Hey jcm, you don't know what you're talking about... I posted earlier that I own 2 rifles built on these actions, so stop wasting time trying to convince me of something I already know. All I was stating is that you can get stocks for an FN, bases for an FN, triggers for an FN, but your options for bottom metal are a bit limited (and also chassis if you're into that kind of thing)... I in no way indicated that this should change your whole outlook on life or anything, relax.

Sorry I missed your small blurb about it.. Shoulda read the entire thread.

I wouldn't say chassis options are limited for the FN/M70. McRees and XLR both offer something. I know AI doesn't, but are there any others?

I love my FNs. $675 is too much for me for just the action, but they are excellent and easily made into tack drivers.

How many chassis systems are out there? I know there are several that are more like "tube gun" type stuff, but it seems to me a guy looking at a CRF action is probably more focused on tactical/hunting. Ate there a bunch of other chassis out there in that vein I'm not aware of? Always looking to learn more!

WELL, I emailed about these receivers and they told me they are OUT. I would have really liked to build on one but I guess I will keep my eyes open for a good CRF winny. anyway, a common theme I see here is to praise the SPR for its features like CRF, 3 position safety, flat bottom bedding area, and simplistic trigger system while bashing the Remington for lack of these attributes all the while singing the praises of the stiller, bighorn, surgeon, etc, etc, all of which lack the CRF, 3 position safety, all are round, and all use the same triggers as a Remington! Remington=JUNK......Remington clone=GOOD

There was a pre-WW2 Win action on Accurate Shooter for $650.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I said I like defiance, and if you get the chance to shoot feel one I bet you would agree. Some of the customs have upgraded extractors, bolt release, built in pic rails, and or built in recoil lugs. Many of even the custom actions are not ready to throw a barrel on, and the smith I worked with (who worked for stiller) Did some work on them before a build. So some of these customs are upgraded so much, that yes their attributes in my opinion win out over a spr action in regards to building a custom rifle on.. Typically these upgraded 700 actions are not being sold/built with the regular rem700 triggers.

That being said though, I completely agree with what you say about a 700, and really do enjoy the features of actions with the crf,etc etc..

Last edited:

Does it really matter? Unless you are a gear queer fan boy....they all work just about the same. A metal bottom metal that takes AICS mags is a Metal bottom metal that Takes AICS Mags. Doesnt really matter if it says badger, seekings, CDI, ect. As long as it works and is reliable......thats all that matters.

I said I like defiance, and if you get the chance to shoot feel one I bet you would agree. Some of the customs have upgraded extractors, bolt release, built in pic rails, and or built in recoil lugs. Many of even the custom actions are not ready to throw a barrel on, and the smith I worked with (who worked for stiller) Did some work on them before a build. So some of these customs are upgraded so much, that yes their attributes in my opinion win out over a spr action in regards to building a custom rifle on.. Typically these upgraded 700 actions are not being sold/built with the regular rem700 triggers.

That being said though, I completely agree with what you say about a 700, and really do enjoy the features of actions with the crf,etc etc..

I have built on most of the big name Remington clones and they are fine but anymore I true up a Remington and add whatever extractor, bolt release, bolt knob, etc that I want and I know exactly what I am getting when I am done. it really burns my rear to pay a grand or more for a custom and have to worry about whether its true or not. Remington "style" triggers are not all the same as some use a three lever design rather than two which allows for a much lighter pull while maintaining safety but even a two lever Remington is more complicated that the Winchester style trigger. how can you praise a Remington clone and slam a Remington when most of them offer nothing appreciable over the Remington? I would agree that the integral lug and rail that some have is a considerable enhancement, I REALLY doubt it makes any difference when it come down to the nut cuttin.

chuck

What do y'all think about the CZ 550 action? It seems similar in many aspects.

I have built on most of the big name Remington clones and they are fine but anymore I true up a Remington and add whatever extractor, bolt release, bolt knob, etc that I want and I know exactly what I am getting when I am done. it really burns my rear to pay a grand or more for a custom and have to worry about whether its true or not. Remington "style" triggers are not all the same as some use a three lever design rather than two which allows for a much lighter pull while maintaining safety but even a two lever Remington is more complicated that the Winchester style trigger. how can you praise a Remington clone and slam a Remington when most of them offer nothing appreciable over the Remington? I would agree that the integral lug and rail that some have is a considerable enhancement, I REALLY doubt it makes any difference when it come down to the nut cuttin.

chuck

Chuck,

The defiance is very very smooth, and well built.. Again I agree with you on the trigger, and having to clean up even "custom" actions.. But if you don't want to do the work (or can't) then spitting out the cash is one option. With the cheaper prices on the spr you had my vote, but at $650 + smith work.. you are getting close.. Again I was talking about Defiance deviant.. not stiller, or many of the others.

No experience with the 550 here, hopefully someone will chime in.