• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR and others

mexicanmatch

dallasa1
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2008
lanexa,va
Mods how abt a thread on these rifles? There seems to be more showing up as time goes by. Just asking. MM

Re: FN SPR and others

Why should a mod start the thread?? Why dont you come up with something interesting to say about them and see where it gos from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why should a mod start the thread?? Why dont you come up with something interesting to say about them and see where it goes from there. </div></div>
This

We shot FN SPR's down at ASC (Allegheny Sniper Challenge). They were of the 20" variety, and were absolute hammers. They wore MCM A5 and were very comfortable to shoot. We shot Pete Pi's Corbon ammo, and these were some smooth running rifles. They shot like madness all the way out to 1100 yards, no issues getting on steel with the short barrel.

The 4 round detachable mag was more than enough for this type of event, some stages requiring mandatory reloads, which is fun and a bit challenging, but the rifles ran so smooth, there no issues with single round feeding from a stock pack either.

The scopes were contributed by USO, the ST-10 with Illum, EREK, and GAP reticle, which I am pleased to say, one should be showing up at my door near the end of the week. Not a great picture, but its all I got.

DSC02773.jpg

Here are some pics from the match, the rifles were superb, and that will be an investment that I look real hard at in the future.

DSC02730.jpg

DSC02776.jpg

DSC02736.jpg

DSC02735.jpg

Here is my favorite shooting position from that match, shooting over the farm.

DSC02753.jpg

Wow! That looks like it was a blast! Lovin the SPR's! Something differant than the same old!

This is a good start. I hope others will join in with there rifles weather stock of custom and share notes and ideas on builds. I like many are going to build one and could use a little help. Mine is on a stock new spr action and is going to have a Rock barrel with a Vortex scope on it? that could change.Thanks HGWT for the great pics, the thread has started. MM

I am having a rifle built on one of the SPR actions from CDNN. Its a "budget" build as Im not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Its going to have a .308 1:11 McGowan barrel in MTU contour, Manners GAT painted in GAP camo, and CDI DBM. Since most of the money went into the stick itll wear a WOTAC for the time being. Should be done here real soon...cant wait.

Have an SPR A5 24" topped with a SN-3. Recent purchase, sending to get coated ASAP. I have been nothing but pleased with this rifle. I purchased it new at a local shop that threw me a deal for being a good customer. the shot page in the box looked great so I grabbed it. Thought it might be too good to be true, figured id ship it off to GAP for true;rebarrel, the usual. Amazingly it was not needed. This thing kills it for a straight out of the box rifle. Swapped for a timney trigger and will put some AI compatable bottom metal on her, but these things are just preferance. I really am getting to enjoy this rifle. Will post pics as soon as I get it back from fellow alabamian JRose.

I was looking at these FN rifles today and I kinda want one, but I never hear about them on here so I didnt know if they were good or not.

Scat, how much and how are those actions from CDNN? For sake of continuity I wanted to build a 6.5x47 on the same action as my .308. Let me know how they look. I thought I might have to buy another rifle, just to rebarrel/chamber but would love a scratch build of that controled action . . .

Well...all I know is the smith said it looked good
smile.gif
. Last time I contacted him he had not checked it for square. If CDNN still has them they are $350.

SOLD! Anyone specific I need to talk to, because its not listed on the site (that I saw with my own two eyes) or did you call regular customer service?

Others interested in building one may want to see this info first hand as well.

the CDNN SPR actions are the best deal going right now, they come with trigger, bottom metal and a "near" 20 moa mount. very hard to beat.
I am on my third one and about to buy a 4th. can't have too many of those, two of them are built and are tackdrivers, one is a "tactical" 308 and the other an F open class 22 pounder 243 AI.

The CDNN actions are great. If you are going to have them fully worked you could just buy a custom. The actions are extremely tough, and my smith said it was prett square for a factory action.

Here is a post I have about my SPR build:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...372#Post2100372

Use this search feature and you can find some more FN SPR information:

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en

I don't think you can go wrong with anything FN makes. I have been using their equipment in the ARMY for 9 years which is part of the reason I bought my first FN SPR, and eventually built the one posted above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mexican match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mods how abt a thread on these rifles? There seems to be more showing up as time goes by. Just asking. MM </div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1958237&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1728036&page=1

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...000#Post1244000

Hope this helps.

I had to send my spr-a2 back for replacement...bad run of chrome lining. It was handled promptly by FN and my replacment shoots awesome. I have the hinged floorplate model and am looking to upgrade to an aftermarket DBM. I had my barrel chopped to 19.5" for fitting a can and contrary to what some say if it is done correctly the chrome lining wont chip...mine hasnt. Once youmaintain a chrome lined rifle that shoots 1/2 minute 10 shot groups at 200, you will wonder why all barrel arent chrome lined. It really never needs cleaning and it ALWAYS shoots 1/2 minute.

Big Fan-- A few of mine from over the years.

The A4 stock is a 7wsm, now owned by another Hide member. The Manners T3 is a .243, and the spiral barrel, a .308. All built by Alan Brown and painted by Hide member Scimitar.

FN7wsmfs001.jpg

FN7wsmfs002.jpg

FN7wsmfs003.jpg

FN7wsmfs004.jpg

FN7wsmfs005.jpg

FN7wsmfs006.jpg

243001JPG.jpg

243002JPG.jpg

243003JPG.jpg

243005JPG.jpg

I have a SPR A1 with 24" and it shoots great. Might need to pick up another action to have built into a 6.5 creedmore.

This is my pig!

It's about 18 lb's of absolute hammer! 300wsm,douglas #8 contour 1/9 twist 29" tube. Action trued,trigger job and barrel install by Geoff Corn. This is an older pic.It's wearing a XOTIC 4-16x56 now.

DSCN2500.jpg

i just got my first FN spr rifle - a custom based on the SPR action

and I I LOVE IT -

had my smith put a rock creek sendero contour 20" barrel on it
and that's IT (extractor cut, chamber etc. of course)

its a hammer and came from CDNN , included a bottom metal with one factory magazine, 20 moa NEAR base , and come to find out , after talking to FN about them and why CDNN has them in the first place , has already been trued, lugs lapped , etc.,

for those interested the break down cost wise is :

action - $360
barrel $300
labor $200
hogue stock - $150
extra mags - $100 for 5

total - $1110, for a custom built hammer

loving it

and as a true blue Remington 700 fan , i hate to say it but the SPR action is way better than the Rem 700

i jonesing bad for another one , now lol!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just got my first FN spr rifle - a custom based on the SPR action

and I I LOVE IT -

its a hammer and came from CDNN , included a bottom metal with one factory magazine, 20 moa NEAR base , and come to find out , after talking to FN about them and why CDNN has them in the first place , has already been trued, lugs lapped , etc.,

action - $360
barrel $300
labor $200
hogue stock - $150
extra mags - $100 for 5

loving it

and as a true blue Remington 700 fan , <span style="color: #CC0000">i hate to say it but the SPR action is way better than the Rem 700 </span>
i jonesing bad for another one , now lol! </div></div>

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH...dont tell the 700 guys!

From 2006
UNI_0268.jpg

The 5 shot group by the snuff can is from 600 yards, measures 2.75" and was fired at the Fall 2006 ASC.
UNI_0278.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brokefromguns</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banshee sws</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i just got my first FN spr rifle - a custom based on the SPR action

and I I LOVE IT -

action - $360
barrel $300
labor $200
hogue stock - $150
extra mags - $100 for 5

loving it

and as a true blue Remington 700 fan , <span style="color: #CC0000">i hate to say it but the SPR action is way better than the Rem 700 </span>
i jonesing bad for another one , now lol! </div></div>

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH...dont tell the 700 guys!</div></div>
Seriously...this thread really makes me want to buy another action for a future build but I just bought a PBR barreled action and McMillan and the funds are non-existent right now.

And this is the best I can do for a pic right now. Its not finished yet...should be just another few weeks. GAT stock with a McGowan 1:11 MTU finished at 20" in .308.

"its a hammer and came from CDNN , included a bottom metal with one factory magazine, 20 moa NEAR base , and come to find out , after talking to FN about them and why CDNN has them in the first place , has already been trued, lugs lapped , etc., "

Im interested in what FN had to say about why CDNN has such a good deal on them. What story did you get from them???

Agree with all, my SPR was worth every penny!
Hot out of the box!
1S1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Duey1267</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"its a hammer and came from CDNN , included a bottom metal with one factory magazine, 20 moa NEAR base , and come to find out , after talking to FN about them and why CDNN has them in the first place , has already been trued, lugs lapped , etc., "

Im interested in what FN had to say about why CDNN has such a good deal on them. What story did you get from them???
</div></div>

From what I understand, when the US Repeating Arms factory was shut down in CT, FN sold all the serial numbered parts (actions, barreled actions) to CDNN and sold the remaining stock elsewhere.

After using the SPR/M70 action I truely feel it is superior to the 700 out of the box. Extraction, ejection, safety, trigger, bolt handle not soldered on, the list gos on and on. I have around 2k rounds down my SPR and prolly 6k rounds of dry firing, my bolt is smooth as butter and havent had even one hic-cup. Im starting to feel its pointless to press check lol. I think the reason 700's are peoples goto rifle is the amount of custom parts available out there. But you have to ask why so many custom parts are needed for such a simple machine...if the parts were good enough to begin with there would be no reason to change them.

Thanks, Banshee. She shoots as expected. Came out of the box just under 1moa and after being bedded by Mark at SAC, she's at 1/2moa. (I know, "no pics..didn't happen.) I've shot against guns that can outshoot the FNs, but I could buy two or three FNs for what they cost and my chrome-lined barrel will last twice as long.

My usual load is 42.5gr of Reloader 15 under 175smk in Lapua brass. I borrowed a few 155 scenars from a from a friend just to see if my SPR would shoot them. I know I used RL15 powder but I can't remember how much. This is a pic of 7 rds off the hood of my truck @ 400yds.

Photo001.jpg

these are great actions to build on

one of my first builds 243ai
IMGP6139.jpg

the gap camo in middle is also spr
IMGP6529.jpg

I bought an FN SPR in the original configuration with H&S stock and 26" barrel about a month ago. The rifle was new and the only thing I did was take it apart and bring the trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. I ordered a Seekin's base, XTR ringsa, one of the Vortex Vipers that have been on sale and some 168gr. FGMM. I put the stuff on the rifle at the beginning of the week and went out the next day to sight in at 50yds. I am shooting off of plexi topped patio table with 1" tube legs that weighs about 8 or 10lbs. and sitting on an upturned 5gal. bucket (pretty high tech). The last six rounds were two threes shot groups that were surprisingly small. Fifteen rounds expended no barrel breakin no nuthin'.

Today I shot at 92yds. to get an "almost" 100yd. zero. The rifle had not been cleaned. Shot four rounds to establish the new zero and then two three shot groups. First group was with a bipod and rear bag. It was .552". The second group, the bipod was removed and I used front rest. This group was .512". Under these conditions, I am stunned that a factory rifle with factory ammo can perform in this manner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quarter Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought an FN SPR in the original configuration with H&S stock and 26" barrel about a month ago. The rifle was new and the only thing I did was take it apart and bring the trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. I ordered a Seekin's base, XTR ringsa, one of the Vortex Vipers that have been on sale and some 168gr. FGMM. I put the stuff on the rifle at the beginning of the week and went out the next day to sight in at 50yds. I am shooting off of plexi topped patio table with 1" tube legs that weighs about 8 or 10lbs. and sitting on an upturned 5gal. bucket (pretty high tech). The last six rounds were two threes shot groups that were surprisingly small. Fifteen rounds expended<span style="color: #FF0000"> no barrel breakin no nuthin'</span>.

Today I shot at 92yds. to get an "almost" 100yd. zero. The rifle had not been cleaned. Shot four rounds to establish the new zero and then two three shot groups. First group was with a bipod and rear bag. It was .552". The second group, the bipod was removed and I used front rest. This group was .512". Under these conditions, I am stunned that a factory rifle with factory ammo can perform in this manner.

</div></div>
chrome lined barrels dont really ever break in...just like they never really copper foul...and you will hardly if ever have to clean it. It will tighten those groups up if you properly bed it, thats about the only thing anyone ever has to do to improve accuracy.

Being a fan of the FN/SPR it's always nice to see the response to a post like this one.
Those are some bad ass rigs in the pics.
I'll add mine below, not that it is as nice as some of the others but because it has some components that may be of interest to some of the posters.
If nothing else it is something other than a Rem 700!

R&D Precision
6.5 Creedmoor
Rock Creek Barrel @ 24"
Badger FTE
McM A3
Vortex Viper PST 4-16
Seekins
CDI
Morta mag
Atlas

100_0004.jpg

As you can see, I'm not the best photog.

Oh yeah, Diggler, what kind of mag is that in your 223 AI?