• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN-SPR Issues

Killswitch Engage

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
ohio
i have searched but come up empty handed.

has anyone heard of issues with the fn-spr that have "fredericksburg" misspelled on the barrel stamp as "fredricksburg"?

a friend just bought a new one and this thing is having some serious issues. will not produce a group much below 2moa with any ammunition. the barrel has about a 1/4" of gap on the right side and about .030 gap on the left. we pulled it out of the stock and set it into another one that has a fantastic bedding job and it still sets the same way in the barrel channel. seems like a bad barrel and possibly more at this point. i have not heard any negative issues with fn on their bolt guns until this and thought it rare.

what say you all?

Re: FN-SPR Issues

i have contacted them and have not heard back yet but wanted to poke around and see what others may have ran into. it will definately go back if need be.

No shit! They misspelled Fredericksburg?!

While I don't think that that necessarily represents a lack of QC on the rifle as a whole, if nothing else, that's got to be a little embarrassing to let those rifles get out the door. Or maybe it happens more than I think.

And no, I haven't heard anything specifically about these rifles... as far as I know, mine is spelled correctly... now I have to go check.

Some fo the SPRs had a problem with the chroming in the barrels. Use the custom search on the right side banner with "SPR chrome". When I called I reached a rep. immediately.

It does sound as though your friend's problem may be more than the chrome lining. Other than the chrome, I have heard of no other issues.

Some of those faulty rifles were sold to a "redistributor" who resold them at a discount. My neighbor bought one, and when it was found to be a good 3 inch grouper at 100 yards he called and raised Cain with FN. To make a long story short, the "redistributed" rifles did not have a factory guarantee. We didn't notice a spelling mistake but it could be that your friends rifle is one of that batch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Some of those faulty rifles were sold to a "redistributor" who resold them at a discount. My neighbor bought one, and when it was found to be a good 3 inch grouper at 100 yards he called and raised Cain with FN. To make a long story short, the "redistributed" rifles did not have a factory guarantee. We didn't notice a spelling mistake but it could be that your friends rifle is one of that batch. </div></div>

yes, this sounds exactly as such. care to share the redistributor in a pm?

Which one is the correct spelling?? Guess I will have to spellcheck all my FNs!! Hope you get this resolved. I am a devoted FN fan and have yet to have an issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hgr2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which one is the correct spelling?? Guess I will have to spellcheck all my FNs!! Hope you get this resolved. I am a devoted FN fan and have yet to have an issue. </div></div>

correct is "fredericksburg"

incorrect is "fredricksburg"

What is the serial number of the faulty action? Feel free to use "x" as the last digit or two.

I wonder if this rifle by chance was one of the last rifles produced at the New Haven, CT facility in the last closing days......

I have heard moral was none too high during that time and as a result, QC might have been at an all time low.....

The FN SPR I have is mispelled Fredricksburg,however its the most accurate rifle I currently have,it shoots smaller groups at 800 yards than my AI does so I wont be selling it ever.also when I had the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake ,the action face was checked for truness and it was spot on.The serial number range is in the 16000,and no I never had a chrome lining issue......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nevada Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The FN SPR I have is mispelled Fredricksburg,however its the most accurate rifle I currently have,it shoots smaller groups at 800 yards than my AI does so I wont be selling it ever.also when I had the barrel threaded for a muzzle brake ,the action face was checked for truness and it was spot on.The serial number range is in the 16000,and no I never had a chrome lining issue...... </div></div>

thats good to know. this rifle is in the 19xxx range.

Well....

My A3G is 16xxx and is spelled correctly...

The CDNN action I got is also 16xxx and NOT spelled right. It was shipped off today to get barreled. I'm sure it'll be good. Lotsa folks have had great luck with the discount CDNN FN actions.

Here is a link to a thread on SH that contains some factual info concerning the chrome lining problems, linked to serial numbers, and also discusses the switch from the CT plant to the SC plant...
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post2119906

Ben Voss, who is a SH member and has provided comment in the above thread, has signed many FN SPR factory test targets, so he is the real deal.

I've got a FN SPR myself that I bought used from another SH member. He took the action and sent it to GAP, who installed an Obermeyer barrel and worked their magic. I was going to buy a factory FN SPR when I stumbled across my GAP build.

Man, I love that CRF action and the rifle shoots fantastic. I just won a 1000yard match with it this past weekend
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shredder58</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've got a FN SPR myself that I bought used from another SH member. He took the action and sent it to GAP, who installed an Obermeyer barrel and worked their magic. I was going to buy a factory FN SPR when I stumbled across my GAP build.

Man, I love that CRF action and the rifle shoots fantastic. I just won a 1000yard match with it this past weekend
cool.gif
. </div></div>

I heard your partner carried your score at the 300 and 600 yd line....hahahahahahahah

FYI my 2 cents worth. I have two FN SPRs, an A1 in 308 and an A2 in 300 WSM. This post got me to wondering so I had to go check my rifles. The 308 has the correct spelling while the 300 WSM has the incorrect spelling. So far I have no issues with either rifle, they both will shoot well beyond my capability, be it close or long range. The only issue I have so for, is that a pound of powder does not go far when loading for a 300 WSM.

CDAT

I know what you mean! I have a 300 weatherby and a .308. The 300 uses almost twice as much powder but those bullets don't go twice as fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only issue I have so for, is that a pound of powder does not go far when loading for a 300 WSM.

CDAT </div></div>

This post has me wondering... I have an FN action at the smith right now. Gonna have to check it as soon as its back. But the smith trued up the action and bolt face and he said they were nearly spot on.

+1

I too have a misspelled 'fredricksberg' that is incredibly accurate. Receiver is 16xxx serial number. It came with the log book (6 test shots) and a 3 shot .45 moa target. No complaints regarding accuracy here, but the spelling thing is too funny.

Fred-ricks-burg....just like it sounds....lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FYI my 2 cents worth. I have two FN SPRs, an A1 in 308 and an A2 in 300 WSM. This post got me to wondering so I had to go check my rifles. The 308 has the correct spelling while the 300 WSM has the incorrect spelling. So far I have no issues with either rifle, they both will shoot well beyond my capability, be it close or long range. The only issue I have so for, is that a pound of powder does not go far when loading for a 300 WSM.

CDAT </div></div>

I bought one of the FN actions from CDNN a couple years ago and had a gunsmith down in NC build me a .260 on a Benchmark barrel and McM HTG stock. She shoots great but sure as hell, it has the misspelled name on the action........amd I LIVE in Fred'burg...too funny.

Does anyone have a mispelled SPR that is a full factory built gun?

I'm wondering if some dunce at the end of action processing mismarked a bunch of actions, and FN "scrapped" them out to CDNN?

Is this the fundamental reason these actions became available through CDNN?

All,

To lay to rest some speculation:

The misspelled role mark "Fredricksburg" is on all USRAC barrels after about 2004. Prior to that (2001-2004), they were role marked "Made by USRAC, New Haven, CT". When the plant closed in 2006, the role mark tool was supposed to go to Columbia to be part of the new rifle builds along with everything else left over at USRAC (barrels not included). The misspelled role mark tool was there from the very beginning, not sure how that happened or how it slipped by for so many years, but until now only insiders knew of it.

When all the stuff arrived at Columbia, the role mark tool had been broken and FNM had to order a new one. The drawing for the tool made it fine down to Columbia (electronically). When asked to approve the new tool, it was pointed out to them that it was misspelled. A new tool was ordered with the correct spelling "Fredericksburg".

The serial numbers of the action are not very good indicators of where the rifle was finally built. Some actions built in Columbia have lower serial number USRAC receivers (as low as 16K). The role mark of "FNH USA Fredericksburg, VA" does not indicate where it was built. ATF requires that FNH, the FFL that first sells or imports the rifle, stamp their FFL on the firearm, regardless of where it was finally assembled. This stems from today's mode of manufacture where components come from various plants and locations. FNH's manufacturing and importation FFL is in Fredericksburg.

For those that bought SPR Actions though CDNN, you will also find the "Fred(e)ricksburg, VA" marking on their recivers. This is because when the barrels were removed from the actions, the ATF required role mark was no longer on the rifle. The FFL location had to be pantragraphed onto these receivers. The 'smiths who did this work set their pantagraph up based on what they saw on the barrels: "Fredricksburg". Not until quite a few of these receivers were marked was it pointed out that this was misspelled, as well. Smiths in Missouri are likely not to doubt the spelling of a city on the east coast they have never been to, particularly since it is chiseled in steel already.

Long story interesting: If you have a "Fredricksburg" role mark on your BARREL, it was built in USRAC. If it is role marked "Fredericksburg" it was built in Columbia, regardless or serial number. Just because you have a USRAC barrel, don't assume you have a bad barrel. There were some barrels that were suspect in the chrome line area. Most of them are fine and shoot superbly and will continue to do so for many years. If you have a doubt, inspect it with a borescope (well equipped gunsmiths will have one). If you are still in doubt, send it back to FNH. It will be inspected and if the chrome lining is bad from poor application (not from excessive use or abuse) FNH will replace the rifle, regardless of when or where it was made.

If you have a receiver and it is pantographed "Fred(e)ricksburg" on the left rear of the receiver, it is a receiver sold through CDNN. These receivers were not "seconds", they were just in a lot that had suspect barrels, which were removed. They should already be trued and hand lapped, just like all SPRs are. If you have a receiver and the serial number is over 30k, it is a new Columbia receiver.

I hope this sheds some light. I also hope that it does not dissuade any potential FNH customers from considering an SPR or TSR as their next precision rifle. The SPR series is nearly flawless in my opinion. Except for the chrome-line episode FNH had back in 2006, the SPR line has been very successful. If you currently own an FNH bolt rifle and it shoots good for you, that is what FNH wants. Regardless of where it was made, "you can't argue with the bullet" (JB).

Semper fi,

My Rifle is a full factory produced rifle with the mispelling,so there is no common denomintor in which guns were mispelled and the ones that were not.In general mispellings make your gun rare and worth a lot more money in the future,just like mispelled Colts,Smiths,ETC.

Thanks for the background, Action Guy!! Very informative and illuminating!

This thread really freaked me out.. especially since I just got an FN a few weeks ago.. While I'm not, per say, a good driver as I'm still learning my gun, I was able to do this.. 19xxx serial number, misspelled markings. Needless to say, I'm very happy with my SPR.

FGMM 168, 100 yrds, indoors

Target1Group.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: treebasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Call FN, get an RMA number and ship that bugger back. </div></div>
For the record, that's not how FN warranty works.

You just send the rifle in with a description of the problem.