• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR questions

neoinarien

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2008
Wisconsin
So I've read the reviews, etc, etc...

As best I can figure out, these are basically pure bred Winchester M70s... simply built by FN and on McMillan stocks which have been free floated and accurized (also they are magazine fed).

Is this so?

Are the parts mostly interchangeable with the M70 (firing pins, barrel, etc)?

Re: FN SPR questions

Ok, excellent!

Let me rephrase: what parts are NOT interchangeable with the M70? And are we positive that the barrel is?

As many times as Winchester changed hands, and pre64 to post, I would check to see which Winchester you have, get the specs especially for a barrel, and then call FN they will give you the specs on their barrel to see if it is compatible. Just remember they are chrome lined and they did have some problem with the chrome flaking off. I have had four myself, and still have two. They are great guns, and all I have had, from a bench with hand loads were solid .5 or less. Good luck

Also, since they have an external extractor the barrel must be properly relieved and indexed therefore pre-chambered barrels are a serious crap-shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As many times as Winchester changed hands, and pre64 to post, I would check to see which Winchester you have, get the specs especially for a barrel, and then call FN they will give you the specs on their barrel to see if it is compatible. Just remember they are chrome lined and they did have some problem with the chrome flaking off. I have had four myself, and still have two. They are great guns, and all I have had, from a bench with hand loads were solid .5 or less. Good luck </div></div>

Well, I am thinking of purchasing a FN SPR, but am leery about getting into it if replacement parts are tough to come by.

go for the fn you will not regret it, they are as good as they get for the buck. I have one and love it, it doesn't have a factory barrel but the action is sweet.

CDNN sports still has actions for sale as well as PBR and PBRXP rifles for sale for very reasonable price's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As many times as Winchester changed hands, and pre64 to post, I would check to see which Winchester you have, get the specs especially for a barrel, and then call FN they will give you the specs on their barrel to see if it is compatible. Just remember they are chrome lined and they did have some problem with the chrome flaking off. I have had four myself, and still have two. They are great guns, and all I have had, from a bench with hand loads were solid .5 or less. Good luck </div></div>

Well, I am thinking of purchasing a FN SPR, but am leery about getting into it if replacement parts are tough to come by.</div></div>

The only thing on the rifle that might give you an issue is the factory DBM, if you go with that model. I highly recommend replacing this with an AICS mag system anyway, so it won't be an issue anyway.

:)Hello All,
New here and would like to say Thank You. Great forum with lots of great info.
Neo, I found this forum because I recently purchased a FNH-SPR and I must say I absolutely love this rifle!!! I do,however, agree with palmik and would change out the bottom metal so that it may accept the AICS mags.
You wont be sorry purchasing one of these rifles.
I snapped a few quick pics. of mine for you. The photo of the target was at 100yds. using factory ammo. There are 8 rnds. in that group.

http://
FNH-SPR007.jpg

FNH-SPR005.jpg

FNH-SPR002.jpg

FNH-SPR001.jpg

Nice!

I am HUGE fan of the mauser style action (the same action as my other bolt guns).

I'm not sure to get a SPR, PBR or go with a M70 Featherweight. My sense of it is that the SPR is simply a slicked up M70, which is nice because it certainly saves a lot of steps, but I'd rather jump those hoops if it means that I have a platform that shares 100% parts commonality with normal M70.

Well its a free Country and you are free to do as you please. As far as the SPR is concerned I cant be happier
grin.gif
. Factory trued action,heavy barrel and a Mcmillan A3 stock already installed....no more "normal" Mod.70's for me..LOL

Its a rifle--not an artificial heart.

Buy it, shoot it, if you like it keep it, if you don't like it sell it.

You will not have a problem finding parts. Its a popular US made rifle that is still in production--not a '36 Packard.

Do you think the SPR is worth spending the extra money over the Winchester Super grade?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think the SPR is worth spending the extra money over the Winchester Super grade? </div></div>

I Do.
But it all depends on what your trying to do. Are you buying a beautiful deer or african plains game rifle, or are you looking for a precision/tactical rifle.
If you are going to buy the Super grade and then switch stock,barrel,and probably bottom metal then in my opionion its not worth it.
P.S.-What caliber are you looking for because I dont see the super grade offered in .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a popular US made rifle that is still in production--not a '36 Packard.</div></div>
LOL, Classic!

mike,

First off, thanks for bearing with my questions!

Frankly, I don't have a massive preference between the two. I really like the classic lines and cut checkering, but I also really like the composite tacticool look.

My concern over the super grade exist around the mandated blue finish (SS preferred) and less on the caliber front. In bolt action, I have stuck to my swede milsurps (I used to own, well, a lot, but the herd has been thinned to just the gems). So if I am abandoning my 6.5x55, then I'm not really tied to any particular caliber. I also shoot 30-06 in my 1903's and already reload for it. Given the minor trade offs in 308->30-06, I don't view that as a terribly bad thing. That said, I appreciate lower recoil (shoulder injury), so I was thinking of going with 270. Still pondering on that front, suffice to say.

To cure the blue finish problem, there is also the extreme weather version.

Accuracy claims have been sub .5 moa with the Super Grade, which is of course luring.

On the flip side, the SPR has more than enough accuracy (I want 1moa or less, bonus for sub .75/8... anything more than that is great, but is worth little more to me than bragging rights which I'm not going to waste money/time on) and there is no problem with the McMillan stock.

My aim in the rifle is to be reliable, accurate and something to build on and replace parts for years to come. Hence the importance on the parts. Tactical concerns are nice, but I don't see any major, mind-numbing trade offs to a wood stock (yes, wood presents maintenance concerns, warping, etc). A lot of fantastic snipers used wood stocks on M70s and 700's. I am trying to keep the rifle a tad lighter, something to sling and walk a distance (which of course leans towards composite).

As a note, the extreme weather I believe comes in other caliber options.

As an additional note, I will probably, if I really like it, end up with one wood stock and the other composite (and if not more beyond that).

So in sum:

M70 (various models) unique pros:
Guaranteed parts compatibility and supply
Available in more calibers (though not my 6.5x55)
About $500-700 cheaper

FN SPR unique pros:
Fantastic stocks
Comes with rails for scope mounting
Comes loaded with features as standard
Fully accurized and trued actions (this is an advantage over the lower model M70's, though the higher model ones have these... or at least they must to achieve the accuracy claims)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoinarien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think the SPR is worth spending the extra money over the Winchester Super grade? </div></div>
what do you want?

if you want a heavy duty tactical tack driver that will take a beating, hold zero under adverse field conditions (with a durable/tough chrome chamber/bore to boot) go SPR

if you want an attractive, reliable hunting rifle (an American classic actually), that's available in big game calibers (338 375 458), get a Super Grade M70 (pre-64 if you can afford it)

heck, just get both, works for me

Why spend retail to buy a factory setup?

Buy an SPR barreled action with bottom metal from CDNN, pick up a McM from their specials page, and send it all to GAP to have it bedded: a precision tactical rig for $1300.

How much of an upgrade action/barrel wise is the SPR over the PBR? How much different accurracy of the barrel and action...I'm looking for something other than a factory stock just want to learn about the actions/barrels

I have seen the SPR actions with better fit and finish, but I like the PBR better: no chrome lined bore.

I was considering having mine rebarreled in 6.5x47 Lapua one day. It takes the same bolt face and magazines, so it is an easy switch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Derek Myers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much of an upgrade action/barrel wise is the SPR over the PBR? How much different accurracy of the barrel and action...I'm looking for something other than a factory stock just want to learn about the actions/barrels </div></div>
Spr = controlled feed
Pbr = push feed
Just a note, the Spr is by no means a cute little walk about rifle. They are heavy, also built to take serious abuse. I like mine just don't care to hump it.

are the PBR/SPR's come with the same barrel? Are both models trued at the factory or would I be lapping lugs and faces like with Rem?

Also is there a weight difference between the PBR/SPR with the same barrel contour and length?

Derek

different barrels and NEITHER are "Trued" at the factory

OP As it appears that you have never handled a "tactical" rifle nor a McMillan stocked rig, I suggest you do so before make your purchase. I suggest you post in the "local members" sub forum and try to hook up with some local shooters and test drive some rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">different barrels and NEITHER are "Trued" at the factory

OP As it appears that you have never handled a "tactical" rifle nor a McMillan stocked rig, I suggest you do so before make your purchase. I suggest you post in the "local members" sub forum and try to hook up with some local shooters and test drive some rifles. </div></div>

I have not handled an A5 stock McMillan, but I have handled "tactical" bolt actions. Agreed though: it certainly would be nice to get some trigger time with varying models, or even to just to hold them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why spend retail to buy a factory setup?

Buy an SPR barreled action with bottom metal from CDNN, pick up a McM from their specials page, and send it all to GAP to have it bedded: a precision tactical rig for $1300. </div></div>

i don't think they have SPR barreled actions... actions, yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RoninP80</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i don't think they have SPR barreled actions... actions, yes </div></div>Call Ken.

I thought the SPR and the newer PBR XP actions were identical. Is that incorrect?

I bought the SRP in 300 WSM for chrome bore and barrel life. Too bad chrome came off after 700 rounds and I had to replace barrel.

No more chrome bore FN's for me.

I had this SPR A1 for a year or so, I absolutely LOVED this rifle... and would still be shooting it today had I not sold it when I got laid off from Sony back in 06.

July4rth010.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tioga</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the SRP in 300 WSM for chrome bore and barrel life. Too bad chrome came off after 700 rounds and I had to replace barrel.

No more chrome bore FN's for me. </div></div>

Tioga, this is VERY suprising for me.. considering that these rifles are made with M240B barrel blanks that are rated for full-auto.

I mean it, I've never heard of anyone shooting the chrome out of thier BBL before... not once, have any of you other guys???

I recall hearing that they had a problem with the barrels for a period of time and the chrome would actually flake off at around 600 or 700 rounds give or take. I believe that was a while back and haven't heard of any recent problems. I requested chamber dimensions out of curiosity and they refused to divulge the info. I thought that was kind of silly since a chamber cast would provide the same info. They pointed out that they only cover factory ammo and reloads would void the warranty. I have one with 721 rounds down the tube and its good to go so far, cross fingers. If its a good barrel I should have lots of miles left on it. If not I'll expect them to replace it since thankfully I have not fired any reloads in it. Reason being I haven't started reloading yet and am now aware of their bs warranty policy.

GlockandRoll

Did not shoot the chrome out it flaked off as mentioned above. Use the search function their are others that have posted same problem most around 700 rounds. Only reason I bought FN was for long barrel life. Do have the A3G also it is at 1750 rounds and still fine. When I bought rifle there where two small imperfections in chrome close to end of barrel. At that time I did not know they had problem at 700 rounds third spot caame and groups went to shit. The rifle did shoot extremely well from factory.

Did not even try to send in for repairs being all I shoot is reloads. From what I have read here they will not repair if reloads are used. Now have full GAP rebuild with FTE so all ends well.

The newer XPR or whatever they are calling it has the same action as SPR. I installed a DBM on one a couple weeks ago.. was a nice rifle.

As for Super Grade M70, if you're looking for one, the only ones to get and buy are the pre 64 originals. They are much more $$ but much more desirable and better rifles for hunting all around. Woo and fit/finish is better.

The SPR is a great rifle. I have one in 7MM WSM.. its a bad ass dude,lol

Personally I think you would be better off with a Dakota than a pre-'64 Winchester.

I had a Super Grade .300 H&H built on a pre-war receiver in 1949. It was rough compared to a Dakota, and by the time to go it cleaned up it would have been much, much closer in price.

Speaking of that, what would it take to put bottom metal on a Dakota?