• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR

SATangoDown

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2011
I have been searching the forum base and coming up short. I am looking to become as informed as possible on the FN SPR A1 308 as possible. I have the opportunity to purchase a well equipped A1. And I want to be sure this is the direction I wish to go before I make the investment. Does any one have experience with this hole puncher or personally own one; that can give me advice on issues, complaints or preferences on this platform? The rifle has been tuned specifically for 175 grain boat tail.

Re: FN SPR

I have nothing but good experiences with mine. It is a controlled feed action which i like quite a bit.

The action in my opinion is better than the remington 700 but thats just my opinion. The trigger is nice but needs to be lightened and the accuracy is outstanding for an out of the box rifle.

If I was you I would also look at the A1A which is a 20" version, but it depends on you use for the gun.

The only things I wish mine had is the DBM which I can have one installed by CDI and I wish the thing was lighter, but thats nitpicking for a $1400 gun. Hope this helps and im sure you would be very happy with your purchase.

Steve

Great action and even better when you add CDI bottom metal to use AI mags. Mine has been rebarreled to .260 and is in a McMillan A-3 stock. Shoots sub MOA out to 1K.

I'm looking at the same rifle. Tag for any extra information I can gain before I purchase.

I have three SPR action and one is in 260 with a CDI bottom metal, Manners T4 with and a 24" Benchmark barrel and Like stockdoc said 1/2 MOA to 1000yds with 142SMK
an other is in 308 with a Kreiger 1-12 twist 25 inch and digest the 175SMK like M&Ms solid 1/2 MOA at 1000yds also
see the pattern...
SPR are good to go out the box and for customizing down the road.
hope this helps.

I would prefer mine be a little lighter too, but that's my only "complaint". There was a thread on SH awhile back that spoke about some barrel issues early on in FN SPR production, but I can't seem to find it now. I think it has been long since resolved and isolated to only a few batches of barrels. Maybe someone else that remembers it will give some input. Other than that, everything I've read about them has been favorable. I've been satisfied with mine.

As far as "well equipped", everyone probably has a different definition of what that means. If you want some feedback on the investment side of it, more information will be needed on what accessories the previous owner has added or how it is set up.

Also, can you explain what's been done to make it "tuned specifically for the 175 Gr. BT"? This should provide some insight.

Assuming it's not been butchered, I suspect you'll like it fine.

I think mine is "well equipped" with just a sling and a USO, but I'm simple like that.
wink.gif

- Fret

FN_1B.jpg

There was a brief stint, during the closing days of New Haven Connecticut manufacturing where a few chrome-lined bores began to slough off the chrome.

However, all FN SPR rifles are backed by a lifetime guarantee, chrome lining included. Buy with the utmost confidence.

My SPR A1 has arrived down under, still at the dealers though till I complete payment.
I've done lots of research on the Hide and believe that the A1 is exceptional value, especially for you guys who are state side.
Barrel longevity, ease of cleaning bore, accuracy, CRF( proven action), McMillan stock, Near manufacturing 20 moa base and made by FNH...
Sounds like a great deal to me.

Let us know what you come up with.

Fine rifles, the best I know of in their price range. Much better than a Remington. If they would put a ADJ HTG on them they would be lighter and therefore perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My SPR A1 has arrived down under, still at the dealers though till I complete payment.
I've done lots of research on the Hide and believe that the A1 is exceptional value, especially for you guys who are state side.
Barrel longevity, ease of cleaning bore, accuracy, CRF( proven action), McMillan stock, Near manufacturing 20 moa base and made by FNH...
Sounds like a great deal to me.

Let us know what you come up with. </div></div>

Who's bringing these into Australia?

I sold off my SSG69 to buy a used SPR A1, mainly because the chrome-lined barrel and the option to use metal magazines as well, either the stock magazine or replacing the bottom metal with CDI. I meant this to be an all-around rifle to drag around

Everything met and exceeded my expectations except its weight. It's as heavy as my TRG22/42, but it is less bulky so I would say it met portability expectation half-way there

Now the plus - there are many

It's very accurate. My trigger was adjusted by an smith, and it's glass bedded but not pillar bedded. It shoots all ammo well - I got 1MOA even with some surplus ammos such as Chinese copper washed imports and LC XM80 (04/05). I don't worry about shooting the Chinese ammo or other questionable non corrosives with a chrome lined barrel. Neither do I worry about wearing out barrel so you can have a blast with cheap bullets. The McM stock felt very natural to me. The trigger is great with the adjustment. I have seen several lightly used one sold around $1k, so cost-effectiveness is hard to beat. The stock itself has replacement value maybe $700?

The 4-rd factory magazines work fine, but I wish to the new 10-rd factory magazines would retro-fit A1 (they don't). I got a couple of used 4-rd magazine so I am not planning to spend $250 for a new bottom metal. At least not at the moment. It serves my purpose well as it is

Hope this helps

I had my SPR replaced by FN a few months ago. I had the issue with the chrome lifting in the bore. I sent it in to be repaired, figuring they would just install a new barrel. To my astonishment FN replaced the entire rifle.

Interestingly, the bad barrel still shot 1 MOA. The only way I knew it was bad was as the sun was shining directly into the bore, I could see small imperfections in the rifling.

I believe the bad rifles were around the 14xxx serial number range. Mine was 14261 I believe.

Action Guy is FN's long range team captain and is also employed by FN. He is wealth of knowledge and took time out of his busy day to answer my many emails regarding the repair process. He is certainly an asset to the hide. Send him a PM if you have any questions.

Buy with confidence! FN stands behind their products!

Here is the original post....
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...214#Post2776214

Here is the new rifle report....
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...669#Post2969669

Kind regards,
Jared

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SATangoDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"The rifle has been tuned specifically for 175 grain boat tail." </div></div>

What had been done to tune it for 175grainers?

168 & 175gr should both shoot well. Maybe some of the members who already shoot their SPR's can chime in.... : ) ( unfortunately I'm still a few weeks off that)
grin.gif

I bought my original SPR in the late 90's. It came from the factory with a Jewell trigger and it holds just under 1 MOA with good ammo.

I'd definitely consider the A3G if I were to buy another FN.

Pictures of my groups with different ammo for reference.

Shooting048.jpg

DSC_2799.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
SPR21.jpg

A3G with CDI DBM... solid, accurate piece. </div></div>

Lookin' good! I hardly recognize it!

Here is my new one in 284Win so far. Have to make another pillar, finish fitting the DBM, fit the Jewell trigger, fit the tubb speedlock kit, bed, and melonite. It'll be a few more weeks, I suspect.

1329366768.jpg

Something no ones really mentioned yet is how f'n solid the action is on these. It feels like you're locking up the door on a bank vault when you put a round into battery. There's nothing else like it, that I'm aware of. My Savage 10FP has been a GREAT!!! rifle, but it just doesn't ooze awesome like one of these. No hate for Remingtons and their clones, but they don't compare either. My buddys fully tuned (by SAC) 700 has a great feel, and the bolt is super-slick, but it still doesn't lock up like an SPR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SATangoDown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
"The rifle has been tuned specifically for 175 grain boat tail." </div></div>

What had been done to tune it for 175grainers?

168 & 175gr should both shoot well. Maybe some of the members who already shoot their SPR's can chime in.... : ) ( unfortunately I'm still a few weeks off that)
grin.gif
</div></div>

Probably means the sellers hand loads, which he would include the data. They shoot 175's great but they are not tuned for 175's from the factory. All of their testing ammo is 168 Federal Gold Medal Match. They wouldn't tune it for one round and then test it with another to ensure the 1 MOA for the A1/A5, or 1/2 MOA guarantee for the A3G.

All this dirty talk about the SPR series is getting me excited!!!
laugh.gif

Just a question guys , regarding DBM compatible rifles... Does the Spr controlled round feed action , like having a single round top fed and chambered? Or is DBM fed preferred.

Thanks
Doug

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my new one in 284Win so far. Have to make another pillar, finish fitting the DBM, fit the Jewell trigger, fit the tubb speedlock kit, bed, and melonite. It'll be a few more weeks, I suspect.

1329366768.jpg

Something no ones really mentioned yet is how f'n solid the action is on these. It feels like you're locking up the door on a bank vault when you put a round into battery. There's nothing else like it, that I'm aware of. My Savage 10FP has been a GREAT!!! rifle, but it just doesn't ooze awesome like one of these. No hate for Remingtons and their clones, but they don't compare either. My buddys fully tuned (by SAC) 700 has a great feel, and the bolt is super-slick, but it still doesn't lock up like an SPR. </div></div>

Agreed. It really does make a 700 feel like a toy, and a poorly machined one at that. In fact, I could go so far as to say I think it's probably the best execution of a non-purpose-built sniper weapon (i.e. an AI AW or a TRG-42) in existence.

Don't agree? Well, let's review.

Accuracy is there, so no sense discussing that.
Durability - a chrome lined bore on a rifle that never really gets hot?
Everything is Parkerized, and I've added DuraCoat SL over that, so corrosion is pretty much a non-issue. I was out shooting in the rain yesterday afternoon without a care in the world. I punched the bore and sat the gun up on the pod over an HVAC vent and went on about my evening.
CRF - no, probably not necessary, but still a nice-to-have feature. The extractor is pure Mauser, which is to say fucking huge and heavy. Barring a material fault I can't see breaking it.
Ejector - Mauser all the way. It's a solid piece of metal that doesn't DO anything except let the case head bounce off of it. Not sure how it could be made simpler.
Field stripping - did you know you can disassemble the bolt in the field with no tools? Try that with a 700.

Yes, it's a heavy fucker, but I'm not too old to hump it yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All this dirty talk about the SPR series is getting me excited!!!
laugh.gif

Just a question guys , regarding DBM compatible rifles... Does the Spr controlled round feed action , like having a single round top fed and chambered? Or is DBM fed preferred.

Thanks
Doug </div></div>

This is debatable. I think it's a bad idea to "bubba load" a Win70 or CRF SPR. By bubba load, I mean forcing the extractor up/over the rim of the case as it goes into battery. A friend does it all the time with his Win70, and has had no troubles, but I avoid it.

I don't know about the AI mags, but the Type 3 and Type 4 Alpha mag folliwers have a "double hump" shape. With an empty magazine inserted, if you just toss a cartridge into the action, if you push the bolt forward, the ass end of the cartridge will fall into the trough of the "humps" of the follower. It goes low enough to allow it to get under the extractor, and then properly pop up, engaged/controlled by the extractor.

I recommend "topping off " the magazine like you would a pistol :

Load magazine, insert into rifle, chamber a round, remove magazine, top it off, re-insert mag into rifle.

I'm sure others will say they've been bubba loading theirs forever with no ill effects. If I were at a timed/stressfull match, I'd save a few seconds, bubba load, and not worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All this dirty talk about the SPR series is getting me excited!!!
laugh.gif

Thanks
Doug </div></div>

This is debatable. I think it's a bad idea to "bubba load" a Win70 or CRF SPR. By bubba load, I mean forcing the extractor up/over the rim of the case as it goes into battery. A friend does it all the time with his Win70, and has had no troubles, but I avoid it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">I don't know about the AI mags, but the Type 3 and Type 4 Alpha mag folliwers have a "double hump" shape. With an empty magazine inserted, if you just toss a cartridge into the action, if you push the bolt forward, the ass end of the cartridge will fall into the trough of the "humps" of the follower. It goes low enough to allow it to get under the extractor, and then properly pop up, engaged/controlled by the extractor.</span>

I recommend "topping off " the magazine like you would a pistol :

Load magazine, insert into rifle, chamber a round, remove magazine, top it off, re-insert mag into rifle.

I'm sure others will say they've been bubba loading theirs forever with no ill effects. If I were at a timed/stressfull match, I'd save a few seconds, bubba load, and not worry about it. </div></div>

I agree, except I found that 'bubba loading' makes it throw the round, so aside from it being hard on the gun it's not good for accuracy.

ETA: Really... I didn't know that. Have to try it.

I have 2 FN SPRs. In front is an A1 in .308 and in the back is an A2 in 300 WSM. I purchased the A1 early last year and liked it so well that last Aug I got an A2 in 300 WSM. Both have 6.5 X 20 Mark 4 Scopes mounted and are both sub MOA Rifles when the trigger puller has his act together.
CDAT

001-2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 FN SPRs. In front is an A1 in .308 and in the back is an A2 in 300 WSM. I purchased the A1 early last year and liked it so well that last Aug I got an A2 in 300 WSM. Both have 6.5 X 20 Mark 4 Scopes mounted and are both sub MOA Rifles when the trigger puller has his act together.
CDAT

001-2.jpg

</div></div>

CDAT, It appears that the .308 has the new TBM assembly? Can you do a few close up of it? I would like to pick up the assembly once available as a separate item by FN.

Mark

Thank you Turbo54 & QuietShootr for clearing that top feeding query. This is why I love the Hide... There's always someone with more knowledge or experience on most topics to give some great help & recommendation.

Both of your SPR's look great too....actually all of the SPR's look very nice on here. ....
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, I wish that were the case, but the last time I checked with FN they still had not released the TBM kit for the A1. Below is the link to how I modify 10-round A5 mags to work in my A1.

CDAT

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...676#Post2545676</div></div>

Hey CDAT, I your initial posts on archive some time ago.
Great job on the mag modification, how's it holding up?

Pretty cool mod. Thanks! My understanding is later this year? Or if someone has an over riding need to take one off a new rifle because they want AI mags?

So do they come in any other caliber other than .308 and .223? Seems to be all there is on their website with heavy barrel.

I'd kill for one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

CDAT, It appears that the .308 has the new TBM assembly? Can you do a few close up of it? I would like to pick up the assembly once available as a separate item by FN.

Mark </div></div>

I got a pic of the new bottom metal I took at Shot last year

ShotShow4.jpg

I have 2 spr's. I prefer the 20" model esp if you desire to use a suppressor in the future. Only complaint is that shifting the safety from forward (fire) position to cam back the fp is technique sensitive; i.e.,using my right hand it will not cam back. If I reach up and over with my left hand it seems to work. I also found the safety on the Winchester controlled feed actions to operate smooth as silk. Go figure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tengo1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mark5pt56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Mark </div></div>

I got a pic of the new bottom metal I took at Shot last year

ShotShow4.jpg
</div></div>

Thank you! that's what I'm after right there, no mods to the action is worth it to me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So do they come in any other caliber other than .308 and .223? Seems to be all there is on their website with heavy barrel.

I'd kill for one in 6.5 Creedmoor. </div></div>

I'm pretty sure the SPR comes in any caliber you want, as long as you only want a 308 or 300WSM.

I would love a 223 SPR, but it doesn't exist, and I don't know how I'd be able to make it happen.

The 6.5CM would just need a barrel.

I should probably start a new thread for this. How many of you guys have measured COAL to the lands on your guns? My SPR is 2.900 for both 175SMK and 178gr AMAX, which is why I got the CDI DBM with the Alpha Type 2 mags.

With 175SMKs seated to 2.885", it's very accurate. Below 2.870, things go to hell in a hurry.

Seriously fighting the itch to go put a deposit on one of these now...Thanks a lot Action Jack..
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously fighting the itch to go put a deposit on one of these now...Thanks a lot Action Jack..
grin.gif
</div></div>

Let me help you ...

Got my 284 SPR nearly all together today. Everything is fit up, just need to bed it all in...

1329609467.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously fighting the itch to go put a deposit on one of these now...Thanks a lot Action Jack..
grin.gif
</div></div>

Great !! I'm glad I could help.... Just don't get it before I get mine
smile.gif

What model are you looking at?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously fighting the itch to go put a deposit on one of these now...Thanks a lot Action Jack..
grin.gif
</div></div>

smile.gif

What model are you looking at? </div></div>

The FN TSR XP, only because i want to have something i can chase deer with as well as punch paper and steel...and i want a .300 WSM
grin.gif

What are the main differences between the SPR A1 and the TSR XP apart from price and stocks???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seriously fighting the itch to go put a deposit on one of these now...Thanks a lot Action Jack..
grin.gif
</div></div>

smile.gif

What model are you looking at? </div></div>

The FN TSR XP, only because i want to have something i can chase deer with as well as punch paper and steel...and i want a .300 WSM
grin.gif
</div></div>
The wsm is plenty gun for paper punching, but steel and deer... Hell yeah!
Definitely a better option than lugging the FN A1 looking for deer.
Also the Tsr hogue stock is more appropriate for off hand shooting, more so than the McMillan A3 anyway. Well that's my take...

The wsm is plenty gun for paper punching, but steel and deer... Hell yeah!
I guess lugging the Fn A1 in the forrest wouldn't be that fun, but I'm definitely going to give it a go. Also the Tsr hogue stock would seem more appropriate for off hand shooting in comparison to the McMillan A3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: perazzisc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the main differences between the SPR A1 and the TSR XP apart from price and stocks??? </div></div>

Other than the stock,
The big one would be: Hard Chromed Bore (SPR)

Figured I join this thread. I have an original FNSPR(before the McMillan stocks were put on) got it about 10yrs ago for $800. It has Badger rings and the 20moa scope base. Scope is a Leupold Vari-3 6.5x20x50 Long Range, side focus, Target Turrets, Mil-dot reticle and Butler Creek flip-ups.

This is an accurate rifle. Fn calls it 1/2 MOA out of the box. Same hole @ 200yds. ?Shooting 4" clays @ 600yds is fairly easy using Federal Gold Match 168gr JBTHP. I polished the trigger a bit and it is smooth and crisp. Hee are some pics of a basic black rifle.

I had called FN after I bought the rifle and he said it is 1 of 300. He didn't know of any civilians owning it(?).
308spr.jpg

fnspr.jpg

fnspr2.jpg

fnspr1.jpg