• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN TSR XP USA

DrDeath

Colonel
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
What can you guys tell me about this rifle? Looks tiny and light! But has in my opinion- a shitty hogue stock....

Re: FN TSR XP USA

It has the Hogue stock with the full length bedding block that takes care of most of the flexing issue.

Uses Ultra Short Action, controlled round-push feed (blade ejector, sliding plate extractor). Weighs 8.25 lbs empty, no scope. Just under 10 lbs loaded and with typical optic in steel rings. Length: 39.5", LOP 13.5".

Holds 6 rounds of .223 Remington in the hinged floorplate magazine. 20" barrel, 1:9 twist.

What else?

I wanted some feedback ... Likes. Dislikes. Pluses. Minuses. Compared to a Remington or ruger or savage. ......

I like mine: shoots great with 69gr and 77gr SMKs, but then, I'm a bit biased. I'll let the rest of the forum give opinions of this rifle compared to others. I can provide the technical background you may need.

Mr. Voss - Any chance of a faster twist barrel?

Best,
JP

Can you go into greater detail about the "controlled push feed"?

Thank You!

P.S.; I have a Win. 70 Stealth, same action as a regular TSR, great action and machining!

The TSR-XP USA, and some Winchesters, have a hybrid action that is referred to as controlled-round push-feed (CRPF). They employ the blade ejector of the pre-64 Model 70 and the sliding plate extractor of the post-64 Model 70.

The pre-64 Model 70, M-70 Classic, FN SPR, TSR-XP, and PBR-XP actions have the non-rotating claw extractor. This is the controlled round feed (CRF) action most are familiar with (directly descended from the Springfield M-1903 and Mauser 98 before it). As the cartridge is fed from the magazine, the cartridge head slides up the bolt face and under the extractor as the cartridge comes off the magazine. The cartridge is always positively controlled by the rifle in some manner, either by the magazine or by the extractor. As the bolt rotates closed, the extractor stays in place, thus it is refered to as "non-rotating". It is visible in the ejection port when the bolt is forward.

On push feed actions, such as the Remington M-700, Savage 110 etc. and the post -64 Winchester M-70, the bottom of the bolt face is enclosed. The ejector is a plunger/button ejector that protrudes from the bolt face. These two do not allow for the cartridge head to slide up the bolt face as it is fed from the magazine. Once free from the magazine, the cartridge is loose in the action until the bolt is completely closed and then the extractor grabs the extraction rim. On the Savage and the post-64 Win, the extractor is a sliding plate located in the right locking lug.

With a bolt face that remains open on the bottom and a blade ejector not protruding through the bolt face (it is fixed to the receiver in the rear receiver ring), the cartridge can slide up the bolt face and under the extractor. The TSR-XP USA and some other Winchesters made in the late 1990s to early 2000s have this design. The bottom of the bolt face is open and the extractor is available to grab the cartridge rim as it comes off the magazine and does not require full chambering before it has control. The extractor does rotate when closing the bolt, it is in the right locking lug and is rotated to the bottom as you close the bolt.

For the TSR-XP USA this design was used because it handled the small .223 Remington head better than the claw. Originally, the design was a less expensive way to make a controlled-round feed rifle without the expensive claw. Not by much, but large manufacturers count pennies. Eventually the full CRF claw returned because of market demand.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TSR-XP USA, and some Winchesters, have a hybrid action that is referred to as controlled-round push-feed (CRPF). They employ the blade ejector of the pre-64 Model 70 and the sliding plate extractor of the post-64 Model 70.

The pre-64 Model 70, M-70 Classic, FN SPR, TSR-XP, and PBR-XP actions have the non-rotating claw extractor. This is the controlled round feed (CRF) action most are familiar with (directly descended from the Springfield M-1903 and Mauser 98 before it). As the cartridge is fed from the magazine, the cartridge head slides up the bolt face and under the extractor as the cartridge comes off the magazine. The cartridge is always positively controlled by the rifle in some manner, either by the magazine or by the extractor. As the bolt rotates closed, the extractor stays in place, thus it is refered to as "non-rotating". It is visible in the ejection port when the bolt is forward.

On push feed actions, such as the Remington M-700, Savage 110 etc. and the post -64 Winchester M-70, the bottom of the bolt face is enclosed. The ejector is a plunger/button ejector that protrudes from the bolt face. These two do not allow for the cartridge head to slide up the bolt face as it is fed from the magazine. Once free from the magazine, the cartridge is loose in the action until the bolt is completely closed and then the extractor grabs the extraction rim. On the Savage and the post-64 Win, the extractor is a sliding plate located in the right locking lug.

With a bolt face that remains open on the bottom and a blade ejector not protruding through the bolt face (it is fixed to the receiver in the rear receiver ring), the cartridge can slide up the bolt face and under the extractor. The TSR-XP USA and some other Winchesters made in the late 1990s to early 2000s have this design. The bottom of the bolt face is open and the extractor is available to grab the cartridge rim as it comes off the magazine and does not require full chambering before it has control. The extractor does rotate when closing the bolt, it is in the right locking lug and is rotated to the bottom as you close the bolt.

For the TSR-XP USA this design was used because it handled the small .223 Remington head better than the claw. Originally, the design was a less expensive way to make a controlled-round feed rifle without the expensive claw. Not by much, but large manufacturers count pennies. Eventually the full CRF claw returned because of market demand.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

Very interesting.

Do you have any particular experience with the PBR-XP .308?

Seems to be some dislike toward the Hogue stock, but as far as I can tell (from internet research anyway), it doesn't seem to negatively affect accuracy, it just doesn't feel right to some people.

So far, from all accounts, the PBR-XP .308 is a reliable, smooth, accurate rifle... right?

I had a PBR XP before I got my SPR. Mine was .5 -.75 moa at 100 yards (with match ammo). The only modification was to replace the trigger, but the TSR's come with a better trigger now. The hogue stock wasn't my favorite, however it was a nice rifle and was very accurate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBaboon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Action Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The TSR-XP USA, and some Winchesters, have a hybrid action that is referred to as controlled-round push-feed (CRPF). They employ the blade ejector of the pre-64 Model 70 and the sliding plate extractor of the post-64 Model 70.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

Very interesting.

Do you have any particular experience with the PBR-XP .308?

Seems to be some dislike toward the Hogue stock, but as far as I can tell (from internet research anyway), it doesn't seem to negatively affect accuracy, it just doesn't feel right to some people.

So far, from all accounts, the PBR-XP .308 is a reliable, smooth, accurate rifle... right?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a PBR XP before I got my SPR. Mine was .5 -.75 moa at 100 yards (with match ammo). The only modification was to replace the trigger, but the TSR's come with a better trigger now. The hogue stock wasn't my favorite, however it was a nice rifle and was very accurate. </div></div>

Thanks for the post and the comments - sounds good!

I just bought a brand new PBR XP, unfired - waiting for it to show up. I took a chance on it, never having had a "precision" bolt rifle before, but I'm pretty confident I made a good choice. I have other guns, and love the two other FN's that I own. I trust the brand.

I'm debating on just going ahead and ordering a different stock for it... so many people seem to dislike the Hogue... but I may wait and see how it is. It's a PBR-XP, so it should have a full-length bedding block.

The stock isn't that bad. I got a blackhawk cheek pad for mine and i liked it. It free floats and is a solid aluminum block so it's very rigid. Is not as "tacti-cool" looking as some, however for the price the PBR's shoot really well.

I don't have it anymore, but this is what mine looked like
IMG_1502.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBaboon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a PBR XP before I got my SPR. Mine was .5 -.75 moa at 100 yards (with match ammo). The only modification was to replace the trigger, but the TSR's come with a better trigger now. The hogue stock wasn't my favorite, however it was a nice rifle and was very accurate. </div></div>

Thanks for the post and the comments - sounds good!

I just bought a brand new PBR XP, unfired - waiting for it to show up. I took a chance on it, never having had a "precision" bolt rifle before, but I'm pretty confident I made a good choice. I have other guns, and love the two other FN's that I own. I trust the brand.

I'm debating on just going ahead and ordering a different stock for it... so many people seem to dislike the Hogue... but I may wait and see how it is. It's a PBR-XP, so it should have a full-length bedding block.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock isn't that bad. I got a blackhawk cheek pad for mine and i liked it. It free floats and is a solid aluminum block so it's very rigid. Is not as "tacti-cool" looking as some, however for the price the PBR's shoot really well.

IMG_1502.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks for the post! Nice picture, also!

What bipod and sling did you have on it?

Did you notice the Hogue stock flexing under recoil?

Thanks!!

it was a harris bipod (6-9 inch) - sling was just a cheapo uncle mikes sling from cabelas

stock flex? no, that stock was a full length aluminum bedding block, no flex at all. It also free floated all the way to the action. There are different types of hogue stocks. The hogue stock on the Rem SPS tactical doesn't have the full length aluminium block(father inlaw has one - noticed when cleaning it for him). It has plastic in the forend vs the aluminium core on the FN PBR rifles.

see link for more info...

http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/overmolded.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigBaboon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock isn't that bad. I got a blackhawk cheek pad for mine and i liked it. It free floats and is a solid aluminum block so it's very rigid. Is not as "tacti-cool" looking as some, however for the price the PBR's shoot really well.

IMG_1502.jpg

</div></div>

Thanks for the post! Nice picture, also!

What bipod and sling did you have on it?

Did you notice the Hogue stock flexing under recoil?

Thanks!!</div></div>

I got to fondle a Hogue stock today at a local gun show... not sure what all the noise is about. It seemed stiff and durable. The ones I saw today didn't even have the full-length aluminum block, they were the $85 version with only the aluminum pillar inserts. I played with some B&C's, HS Precision's, and one or two others, and the Hogue seemed like a perfectly usable option in comparison. So I'm definitely holding off on ordering a B&C (or something else).

Hello, finally registered on this awesome site. and my first post. i actually have a fn tsr xp which is my first bolt action in .308, and new to reloading. but the tsr out of the box w/hougue stock is pretty accurate. have som pics, with range results different ammo, and actual close up pics of alum bedding block. all in all very happy with the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ata</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello, finally registered on this awesome site. and my first post. i actually have a fn tsr xp which is my first bolt action in .308, and new to reloading. but the tsr out of the box w/hougue stock is pretty accurate. have som pics, with range results different ammo, and actual close up pics of alum bedding block. all in all very happy with the rifle. </div></div>

Thanks for the post - sounds good! Let's see the pics!!

only had one pic saved of the alum. bedding block
303.jpg

pic of my tsr xp .308
614.jpg

129-1.jpg

some range results w/different ammo, handloads
184.jpg

185.jpg

620.jpg

my best 4 shot group to date at 100y, im yet to try heavier loads
619-1.jpg

Very nice, Mine exibits similiar groups when zeroing/testing loads. The stock on mine has dual rods in the forend, I know it's not a manners, etc, etc but it does it's job well.

I shoot 175 SMK w/43 grains of Varget at 2500 and made some practice loads (168 SMK w/39 grains of Varget-2250 FPS) for positional and short range work, 100 yard zero is within 1/4" of the 175's. It shoots 168/175 FGMM and Blackhills 175 equally.

This is a great "off the shelf" do all rifle.

Great pics, thanks!

What sling are you running?

Looking forward to getting my rifle... should be a couple days!

sorry for late reply, bigaboom regards to the sling, my local ffl dealer just had roll and some plastic buckles i put together, but not to hunker around. i would invest on a quality one cause this rifle is heavy.

decided to try out some heavier bullets yesterday, unfortunately could only shoot 50y...i know its sad, but need to check a friend to shoot 100y on his privated land.
results of yesterdays loads
161.jpg

155-1.jpg

last year had shot same at 50y literally same hole 5 shot, besting the pics above, need to find pic