• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNAR 1000yrds?

HeathEasley

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2010
weatherford,TX
has any body had any luck shooting the fnar at 1000yrds and if so what was the group i personally havent had a chance to shoot mine that far i would just like to know if it could do it?

Re: FNAR 1000yrds?

I have an FNAR and out to 500-600yards it is definitely a sub MOA to 1/2MOA rifle if you do your part. I dont have a 1000yard range anywhere around me. But to give you an idea, a Federal Gold Match 175gr was chrono'd at 2610ft/sec. If you plug in 0.487 BC for speed under 2800ft/sec, 70deg temp, sea level etc etc at a 1000yards it is still traveling at ~1200ft/sec. It will not actually go subsonic until about 1100yards.

Here is Lowlight shooting to a 1000yards with an 18" and stated his velocity was 2575. So i have no doubt that the FNAR can make it to a 1000yards.

18" to a 1000yards

Really? Sub to 1/2 MOA at 600 with the FNAR? I'd like to see that, especially with a little wind thrown in. Out of a 16 inch barrel, I think your chrono reading was "optimistic."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really? Sub to 1/2 MOA at 600 with the FNAR? I'd like to see that, especially with a little wind thrown in. Out of a 16 inch barrel, I think your chrono reading was "optimistic." </div></div>

I am sorry but who said anything about 16" barrel? My FNAR is the 20" barrel and there is nothing "optimistic" about 2610ft/sec out of a 20" barrel
smile.gif

Here is the review where it was sub 1/2MOA.

FNAR Review

Yup....it will shoot to 1000 as well as any 308. They are way under rated . I bought two when I found them for $1100....before prices went up. Haven't shot groups yet.

.45 average in this article.....

"fed Federal 168-grain Gold Medal Match, the FNAR Heavy barrel model proved to be capable of superb accuracy. Limited testing showed this particular rifle capable of shooting well inside the one m.o.a. requirement, averaging just .45 inch at 100 yards."
http://www.rifleshootermag.com/featured_rifles/RS_aforaccurate_200902/index.html

Right, I see where I was led astray. The page I saw at FNHUSA.com only talked about a 16 inch barrel. I looked around a little bit and I see it's in 16 or 20 inch. You're right 2600FPS is about all you get with a 20 inch barrel. Sort of a handicap for LR.

So, I still want to see sub 1/2 MOA at 600 yards, especially with a little wind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right, I see where I was led astray. The page I saw at FNHUSA.com only talked about a 16 inch barrel. I looked around a little bit and I see it's in 16 or 20 inch. You're right 2600FPS is about all you get with a 20 inch barrel. Sort of a handicap for LR.

So, I still want to see sub 1/2 MOA at 600 yards, especially with a little wind. </div></div>

Dude this is not a pissing contest. You have already been shown where you jumped to conclusion and were wrong and now picking another point to argue about. We dont have to PROVE anything to you. Another member and I have provided you two separate sources and links that show hot this rifle is 1/2MOA or better at a 100yards. What this has to do with wind or no wind at 600yards i dont get it.

I can say the same thing about any platform on the market. When LWRC says their REPR is 1moa accurate they are not gonna show you 600yard 1moa accuracy in wind. Also the inherent accuracy of the rifle has nothing to do with what it does in a 20mph wind. What you and i can do based on our atmospheric conditions is not the rifles fault. To further prove my point; if the rifle shoots 1/2MOA at 100yards in no wind but shoots 1.5 MOA in 20 mph wind is it the rifle's fault? I am not sure what your point is here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an FNAR <span style="font-weight: bold">and out to 500-600yards it is definitely a sub MOA to 1/2MOA rifle</span> if you do your part.</div></div>

I didn't say I did not believe you; I just said I would like to see that.

thats a 3 - 6 inch group. What makes you think that rifle cant do that?

I didn't say the rifle could not do it, I just said that I would like to see it do that.

I've shot to 600 and longer a few times with a .308 and other calibers. I have yet to see anyone with a .308 be reliably MOA at 600 yards, let alone longer or subMOA. I have seen some pretty fancy target rifles trying to do that, with some interesting ammo and pretty nice riflescopes.

So, you can imagine why I am interested when I read someone making the claim that he and his rifle are sub to 1/2 MOA to 500-600 yards. I would really like to see that.

I think any of the 175, 178gr match ammo variety will work just fine. Also if you reload the 155 VLDs such as the Scenars, Bergers etc will also work just fine.

Alpha all that Sig was saying, hed'd like to see the repeatability of that weapon produce at least 1 moa groups at 600 yrds. Im skeptical as well, id like to see a range report when you get it. of your 100 yard groups and then some 600 yard groups. Or shit take a video and post that up. Personally i dont think it can do it.

Sig685,
You need to hang out with some different shooters. If my 308 doesn't shoot around .6MOA at 600yds for 5 shots and under .5MOA for 3 shot groups I am really disappointed. Its usually better.

As far as the FN goes I read and article a few years back where they tested all the assult rifles from around the world for function accuracy and everything else they could think of.

They shot them scoped and unscoped. The FN and the M1A were the top rifles for accuacy with the FN being head and shoulders above the M1A. They said the FN shot as well without the scope as the M1A did with the scope. They also said the FN barrels that were tested and air gauged would be considered match quality.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig685,
They also said the FN barrels that were tested and air gauged would be considered match quality. </div></div>

Exactly. What a lot of people dont understand is that in the case of FNAR they have endurance tested it to 10,000 rounds for reliability and accuracy. Their barrel is match grade and is hard chromed. Bob Ailes who is the service manager at FN told me that his personal FNAR has over 6000rnds thru it and still maintains a sub-Moa accuracy. That is hard to beat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thumper49802</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpha all that Sig was saying, hed'd like to see the repeatability of that weapon produce at least 1 moa groups at 600 yrds. Im skeptical as well, id like to see a range report when you get it. of your 100 yard groups and then some 600 yard groups. Or shit take a video and post that up. Personally i dont think it can do it. </div></div>

Can you give me a logical reason of why you think it cant do it? Do you believe the two links posted that show accuracy of sub 1/2MOA to 100yards? If no then that is another subject.

But if you believe that, then does it matter whether that bullet came out of a FNAR, or GAP bolt rifle? What is a difference between a bolt rifle that can shoot 1/2MOA at 100yards and a semi auto that can do the same thing? Now how wind, and shooter's ability and other factors play into a longer shot has nothing to do with the inherent capability of the rifle it self. I have shot my FNAR at 600yards not for groups but on 8x10" AR500 steel and my shot spallters on steel were ~3 inches apart.

if a rifle shoots subminute at 100 yards why cant it shoot well at 600? At that distance with wind , it becomes about the shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if a rifle shoots subminute at 100 yards why cant it shoot well at 600? At that distance with wind , it becomes about the shooter. </div></div>

Exactly my point. It has nothing to do with inherent accuracy of the rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if a rifle shoots subminute at 100 yards why cant it shoot well at 600? At that distance with wind , it becomes about the shooter. </div></div>

Exactly my point. It has nothing to do with inherent accuracy of the rifle. </div></div>

That may have been your point but that's not what you said. You said that you and your rifle were sub to 1/2 MOA at 500 and 600 yards. That's what I "challenged."

A semi-auto with a 20 inch barrel is somewhat handicaped shooting .308 Winchesters at long range. And the longer the range the greater the handicap.

It's all about setting proper expectations and giving a proper answer. If I had not said anything the OP would be trying to shoot at 600 yards and not getting anywhere near sub to 1/2 MOA like you claimed you did, and he would gets discouraged or angry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raptor99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sig685,
You need to hang out with some different shooters. If my 308 doesn't shoot around .6MOA at 600yds for 5 shots and under .5MOA for 3 shot groups I am really disappointed. Its usually better. </div></div>

Maybe I need to do that.
Maybe you should try 20 shot groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if a rifle shoots subminute at 100 yards why cant it shoot well at 600? At that distance with wind , it becomes about the shooter. </div></div>

Exactly my point. It has nothing to do with inherent accuracy of the rifle. </div></div>

That may have been your point but that's not what you said. You said that you and your rifle were sub to 1/2 MOA at 500 and 600 yards. That's what I "challenged."

A semi-auto with a 20 inch barrel is somewhat handicaped shooting .308 Winchesters at long range. And the longer the range the greater the handicap.

It's all about setting proper expectations and giving a proper answer. If I had not said anything the OP would be trying to shoot at 600 yards and not getting anywhere near sub to 1/2 MOA like you claimed you did, and he would gets discouraged or angry. </div></div>

It is obvious that besides shooting, reading comprehension is not a your skill set either. Please read my original post. Where did i say that "I" can shoot sub MOA (although i can)? Let me directly quote it for you <span style="font-style: italic">"I have an FNAR and out to 500-600yards it is definitely a sub MOA to 1/2MOA rifle if you do your part."</span>

Just because you cant shoot even MOA at 600yards please do not judge others. You have gone around in circle from the beginning. First you challenged the velocity, then you challenged the inherent accuracy of the rifle by saying "I like to see it" then you say "i am not saying i dont believe you" and a few posts down you are singing another song. When another member states that he shoots sub-MOA to 600yards your response is to do a 20-shot group. It is obvious that nothing short of Jesus Christ coming down and proving 1/4MOA accuracy out of the FNAR in 40MPH blind folded wont change your opinion. Again, there are plenty of people that shoot way beyond 600yards sub-MOA. You just need to hang out with different people:) Come to Florida and I will take you shooting
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it 308? If so it will only shoot to 800 yards. </div></div>

Really.. tell that to all the Palma and F/TR shooters..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SIE107</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it 308? If so it will only shoot to 800 yards. </div></div>

Really.. tell that to all the Palma and F/TR shooters.. </div></div>

That's absolutely correct. I compete in F-T/R at 1000 yards with my .308 match rifle. Of course, if I could shoot sub to 1/2 MOA at 600 and also 1000 yards, like some people here with their FNAR, I would win every match everywhere and own every record for both F-T/R and F-Open.

I looked into Rock Rivers new Standard Operator. I called and they said at least six months, but I should reall expect a year before I got one. That's when I decided on an FNAR. I'm doing a review at the following. I have not range tested yet, but what I see so far, I think this is a great rifle.

http://arealmansreviews.blogspot.com/search/label/FNAR

Well I shot mine at 1000 yards on Sunday. 168 gr SMKs. I'm still using an el cheapo center point 16x scope until my real glass arrives, so I didn't quite have the adjustments available but with a little holdover I was ringing the 1000 yard gong shot after shot. According to the data for the environmental variables and the speed it's launching them at the federal GMM 168 SMK goes sub sonic at about 1100.

So yes, an FNAR will send a round accurately to 1000 yards. Imagine my surprise as I was expecting the rounds to fall straight to the ground right at the 800 yard marker.