• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNAR Question

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I have searched through 3 months worth of threads so here goes. I have an opportunity to purchase a brand new FNAR for $1200 at a divorce sale. I have no experience with this company and would like input from you guys with practical experience with this particular rifle. I am not a fan of 308 for deer hunting or long range shooting and do not own a 308 caliber rifle. Was thinking of expanding collection with this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: FNAR Question

I have one. I love it! Do my part, it will shoot MOA no worries.
I did have an issue with Nosler and Lapua new brass. The chamber is tight so some brass would fail to extract. Ran it up through a FL die and have not had an issue since. I had one piece of PCM with a similar problem. Federal, Hornady, Black Hills, Winchester, no worries.

Do a search on this site. Plenty of information on the FNAR to read about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nortac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search on this site. Plenty of information on the FNAR to read about it. </div></div>

Like I said I read through 3 months of threads. Just faster to ask now.

Eh, most comments (here, I did a quick search) seem to be about how ugly the FNAR is. I think the M16/M4/AR15 looks and feels like a cheap plastic toy (Spent 6 years with the M16A2 and currently dragging around a M4). To each their own.

For out of the box, the trigger is good (not NM two-stage, but better then my CZ550).
With the exception of my brass extraction problem (I blame myself and demanding high end quality brass), it has never failed to feed, or fire. Some people have had issues with the gas regulator. All that takes is some trial and error adjustments, then no worries. For the record I have not had any issues with the regulator since I bought my FNAR.
The magazines are expensive, but they are also build like a tank. I dont have to be concerned with cheap magazines and feed lips getting bent.
Topped off with an XOTIC 5x16x56 and I get MOA at 100yrds out of the box.
Topped off with a IOR 4x32 CQB and do some rapid fire. Puts a big ol grin on my face.
The recoil I would say is a little less then a M1A from the off hand.
Cleaning, most of the heavy carbon is on the piston face. Comes off with a brass brush easy enough, may times in a few large flakes. The inertia block, guide rod, spring, and action arms at most require a wipe down with a cloth. That is it. The bolt face will have some carbon on it, but cleans up easily enough with a Q-tip. Now, is getting to all those parts as easy as a M16/M4/AR15 with the break open design? Nope! Most of carbon is exposed to the short action piston just under the gas port in the gas block way forward of the receiver. I have spent many more hours cleaning inside the upper and lower receiver of a M16/M4 then the time it takes to clean my FNAR.
If I were to change anything, I would like a larger/beefier bolt handle, ambidextrous bolt release.
So, for $1200 I think it is a heck of a deal.