• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FNG from SC

ridesdirt

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I have been a shooter for years.

I would say my best setup is a custom AR-15 with ACOG RCO. I can hammer the steel plates at my local range at 300 meters with confidence.

So I decided to step up and buy an AR-10 type .308, I decided on the LMT, 16" CL barrel.

I took it to the range last weekend, iron sights only. First 2 shots at 25 yards, got to make sure we are on paper, loading 1 round at a time. Then 3 at 70 yards, loading 1 round at a time, functionality is 100% and the last two are tight at the bulls eye.

Then I move to the 300 meter range, to shoot the steel plates. Now, my eye sight sucks (or my arms are too short)... I don't wear glasses, but I do use "readers" for anything up close. I have serious reservations about how well I am sighted in. I have it in my mind, if I can hit 50%, I am on cloud nine, and golden... Well, I load 5 rounds in the mag and hit 3 out of 5... load 5 more and hit all 5. Now I am STOKED. I should give a few details... 300 meters, 18" steel plate, winds 5-15 left to right, temps in the high 80s with 80% humidity. So this may not be "good" shooting in your opinion, but for me, with this sight in and iron sights, I am on fire!

Then it hits me, I realize this is a different animal. The 308 is bad azz.

So, the point of my story. I need to learn optics. This rifle deserves a proper optic and I need to learn a lot fast.

I have been lurking for a little while, so I may know a little more than I let on... but I have no experience with MOA or MILDOT reticles, first focal plane vs. second focal plane reticles, zero stops... there is lot to learn.

I hope to learn about the options most important to me. I think I am in the right place...

Going 8/10 on a steel plate at 300m with irons on a chrome lined .308 is pretty dang good shooting. I can see you're already doing a lot of reading and research here, and you won't find a better resource of information out there. Welcome to the Hide!

Rdesdirt,

If you ever make it down to the Aiken/Augusta area let me know. We could hit the range at Ft. Gordon (960 yds) or carolina star (525 yds). We could put the rifle through its paces.

Chip

Chip, I am gonna call about a long range day on Fort Gordon , trying to schedule for the second Sunday in Sept. What say you?

I would love a long range day. Also, could you PM me your address. I owe you $5.60 for the postage on my forms. My fastidious cleaner of a wife threw your envelope away. I'm actually hoping to go shoot this Fri. if you care to meet up.

Chip