• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors FNP 45 Tactical Review ***PICS***

pharm762

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Bensalem, PA
I took the dive and bought this gun. I am a true 1911 fan through and through. I currently own a Kimber Tactical Entry HD with a light rail and a TLR 1 on it and it is a great shooter and easy to shoot for me. The only problem is I wanted a gun that could hold more than 8-10 rounds. I have been through other 45 pistols such as the XD 45, M&P 45, 1911's, HK45, HK USP 45 and Sig's. None of them really fit me in terms of mag capacity, grip size and texture, recoil, weight, bulk, etc. I know you are going to look at the gun and say well this is very bulky. Yes, it is but it is not as heavy as it looks.

Here are he features that made it set apart from the rest. It has ambi everything; ambi safety/decocker, ambi mag release (you can depress the button from either side without taking it apart and moving the button), and ambi slide release/catch. You can operate this gun from either hand without any alterations. No other gun I have owned has these features all in one. It has a threaded barrel, taller NIGHT SIGHTS (HK 45 Tactical or Mark23 do not have night sights standard), built in mount for a red dot so you can co witness the sights with the dot, 1913 rail, 3-15 round mags, 4 interchangeable back straps and a very nice carrying case.

Shooting the gun was very good with no FTFs or FTEs after 100 rnds. IT shot very accurately but it is still in its break in process. Recoil is very good and feels smoother. My 1911, when compared, feels like a huge chunk of metal sliding back (duh it is) but the FNP feels like its gliding more. Accuracy is very good; when you zero your dot it hits from 5-25 yds without moving due to heat from the barrel. The followup shots are quick because it comes right back down. I put the grip tape after the range session because I figured out where I needed it. I compared it side by side with my 1911 and my 1911 shoots better and more accurately but then again I am getting used to using the red dot. I am so used to using the sights. The Burris FastFire II red dot got really dirty after a box of ammo and just needed a wipe down. It never came loose at all during the session.

The first trigger pull is long and heavy but the second is short and light with very little reset. Again compared to a Kimber 1911 it feels about the same. It can be carried cocked and locked, which is how I will do it.

If you would notice the grip tape on the gun it is because that is a smooth part of the grip that, for me, needs some texture. There are 4 backstraps: 2 flat and 2 rounded and 2 different textures. One texture looks like the sides of the gip and the other is the front of the grip.
Take down is a breeze just lock the slide back and pull down the lever and release forward. No trigger pulling, no secondary takedown levers (M&P), and no matching holes and grooves (1911 and HK). Oh, don't forget to take off the thread protector. Cleaning was a breeze too because all the grooves and crevices were so huge no toothbrushes or picks needed.

Overall it is a great gun to have as a concealed carry gun (if you have a duffel bag). Just kidding, it is great for a person that is always carrying a bag that he/she can fit it in, home defense, or shooting competitions. If you can't hit anything with 15 rounds in the mag you need some extra training. I bought this gun because of all the features it has being a tactical pistol. I have handled a Mark23 and the Mark23 feels heavier and the first trigger pull fells much heavier and longer. It only carries 10 or 12 rounds, I think and is double the price. I paid close to $1k for this gun so you can debate whether this is the gun for you. This will not be your first choice in concealed carry but may be a choice in your tacticool armament. Now its just a matter of finding a holster, any suggestions?

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

DSC00738.jpg

DSC00739.jpg

DSC00740.jpg

url]

Re: FNP 45 Tactical Review

Nice review. I intend to pick one of these up soon. I just got my Silencerco Osprey today and figured this would make a good host to join my USP Tactical.

the red dots do not come with the gun. There are several makers (burris, doctor, trijicon ect). The gun comes with a rail so you can easily mount one.

What a sharp looking pistol in the Dark Earth color!!!

That is definitely a nice looking pistol. I like the optic compatibility.

I'm surprised you out shoot it with iron sights on your 1911. Usually optics factor big on pistols.

Be careful taking the backstrap inserts out.
Horrible design.
Flimsy plastic holding it in.
I would suggest only changing the back strap a FEW times to avoid damaging the retainer.

Re: FNP 45 Tactical Review ***PICS***

Thanks for the review. I was checking one out at the store yesterday.

I have one of these ordered and on its way.

I'm also interested in what holsters are out there.

BTT

I haven't shot one, but have handled one this past week. Something about the whole overall feel of the gun makes it feel like a toy to me. The red dot from Insight is even hokier in my opinion. Trigger pull was downright horrible on the one i handled. I think the only FN pistol i would ever remotely think of buying is the 5.7 just for the novelty of the round.

I haven't handled a .45 Tactical, only a .45. The only reason I didn't buy it was because it wasn't the tactical. I intend to own one of these at some point, the fact that it has an optics mount is a huge plus to me.

I currently own a FNP-9 that has been very reliable so far. I have 750 rounds through it without a failure of any sort. Currently have about 350 rounds through since the last cleaning, I'm testing it to see if it can make it 1000 rounds without cleaning.

The only thing about the .45 tactical for me is that it is pretty much a novelty gun, like any other large handgun. I don't carry a man purse or a fanny pack, and it is way too large for CC. That means that it is pretty much a range gun/bedstand gun. But still very cool, and I would still like to have one strapped to my leg when the zombies come.

My son and I went to the range yesterday and tried out one of the FNP 9 FDE Frame guns. It was a range rental gun that had approx. 3k rounds through it. The guy at the counter said it has probably had at least 2K put through it since a cleaning so you probably won't have any trouble getting to 1,000 rounds.

This gun was a freakin laser !!!
I must say I really liked the gun.... I even thought about buying it because it shot so good. I shot my first group and I didn't think I was hitting the target as the lighting in the range was a little dark. Finally saw that they were all going into one little ragged hole. It was more accurate than my Glock, 92-F, and Sig 226 that I typically shoot. I hated to give it back when I was done shooting....

I might get one and try it for a while. Just for something different.

YMMV but that was my limited experience putting 300 rds though one today.

The same gun shop had one of the .45 Tactical pistols in stock and I looked at it... nice gun and really cool looking in the FDE. They special ordered it for a guy who has not picked it up in a while. They said they would make me a sweet deal on it if I wanted it.... ;-)

-Tdog

I really want to try one of the Tactical models to compare with my UPS 45T. I've shot the fnx 9 and the 45. Liked both but both fell short of my tactical for obvious reasons.
Still can't get over how light the 9 was.

If they would have brought the slide and frame out another 1/2" to 1" it would be wicked.. more like the MK23 look. If going to extend the barrel.. might as well bring out the slide/frame for longer sight radius.. and help manage recoil.

I have been toying around with getting one of these and this review seals it! IM IN! There was one in the for sale forum so ill see if i can make a deal on it.

Not yours is it? LOL!

Thanks for taking the time to share your review.

this is, by far, my favorite "niche" pistol....i have to fondle one each time i go to a CE gun show. I'm just hoping, eventually, they make this in 9mm and then my name will be on the order form.

I really like the look of those guns. But something in me says tithat's all metal and I want something smaller than my XD45 Tac