• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors FNP .45 VS. HK .45?

ryohavoc

Private
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2007
Which is the better .45acp, the new FNP .45 or the new HK .45?
I like the looks of the FNP .45 Tactical and it is about the same price if not a little cheaper than the HK.

I am a fan of HK's and owned a HK USP .45 tactical years ago but sold it before I ever got a chance to fire it! The main difference I can see between the FNP .45 and the HK .45 is the price, the HK looks to be about $300. more.

Re: FNP .45 VS. HK .45?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougSSG3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the looks of the FNP .45 Tactical and it is about the same price if not a little cheaper than the HK.
</div></div>

For starters, don't take looks into account. Best looking rig in the world may shoot like crap, or the other way round. HK has the reputation. Been around for years, and has proven itself time and time again. The FNP Tactical is the new kid in school. It hasn't had time yet to prove itself, or at least not to the same standards as the USP. Get your hands on both and see what feels better. The FNP is much more comfortable in my hands than the USP. The triggers are great on both, and both are great shooters for what they are. The FNP has more features (sight mount) and also comes with a standard suppressor threading. HK prefers to run an oddball Euro threading.

There are lots of things to take into account. Looks should definitely be at or near the bottom of the list.

Old Speaks the truth.

I had a USP in 45 acp and really enjoyed it despite its size. Most everything on the HK is proprietary to HK, the rail etc. mags are more expensive (slightly) and hold fewer rounds. This is why I sold mine. To better answer your question, asking which is better is like asking which shoes are the best. What do you intend to do with it?

I have been eying up a FNP at my local shoot and scoot. It shoots well, and has a reasonable grip for such a large mag capacity. Both guns are well made and will provide tremendous service. What is its main job?

I think he's talking about the NEW HK .45, not the USP. By the way I've had my HK.45 since DEC2007 and it has been rock solid. I don't really put it to the test like some people, but with about 2500 rounds and not a single failure of any sort, I can vouch for the HK. Again though, it really matters what feels good in your hands. If the HK feels good then I say get it.

After shooting both I have to admit the FNP Tactical 45 is a slightly better deal price wise. Accuracy is about the same for both but the FN seems to have smoother recoil.

I also got to try my new Ti-Rant 45 can with both. This is where the FNP really shines. The FNP is noticeably quieter than the HK45. And it has sights designed for use with the can.

For me it all comes down to the grip. The HK45 fits my hand better and it's worth the extra $ to me. Plus I can run 45 Super ammo through it. I am not sure I want to be the first to try the 45 super ammo in the FNP.

Hks are great guns, but from my experience difficulty in obtaining replacement parts/service make them a little less desirable

HK45 and P30 probably have the best grip out there IMHO. It's as if someone took a molding of your hand and made it into a grip. In the 2 instances I have had need of HK's customer service I did not have a problem. If parts are your concern, hkparts.net has about all the parts you need.

I would avoid both like the plague. Both are marketed as if they're some sort of tactical/operator guns which is a bunch of hogwash.

People always think there's something new and great about pistols, but I tend to ignore that nonsense. There are a few guns out there that are ergonomic, have good triggers, etc. The list is short.

My suggestion is that if you have to ask this question:

1. You want a 9mm.
2. You want something more mainstream than HK or FN's lines of pistols.

My plastic pistol of choice is the S&W M&P. But I'd feel equally gunned with a Glock or Springfield Armory. Those are the pistols I'd consider. And I'd take my own advice and get a 9mm before I'd buy any of them in .45.

I have shot both the HK and the FN. This was done as a personal test to see which one I liked the best. All said and done, I went with the FN, and have no regrets aout it. Both are great pistols, but I felt the FN fit my needs better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dah</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hks are great guns, but from my experience difficulty in obtaining replacement parts/service make them a little less desirable </div></div>

Myself for parts and limited service attempts have had better luck with HK than FN. The HK has several secondary sources and limited factory support, while my limited experience with FN was a complete zero (was several years ago when the 5.7 handguns were new and they were setup only to support FN trained departmental armors). Assume/hope FN has improved, however, life's too short to get burned more a than a couple times by any one person/place/company ;-).

Back to the initial question and poster, would recommend trying a few of the actual pistols and see how they work for you.

I would go with the FNP 45. I have been looking at these for quite a while and they handle really nicely. I use a sig P220 now, and the FN is very similar in feel and disassembly. I always wanted an HK by reputation, but after hadleing one and feeling the trigger it was s no go for me. It's up to you on what you choose, but overall I still prefer my Sig. Cheers

Thanks for everyones input so far! I have average size hands (so I am told) so most large caliber handguns feel too big, like the full size glock 45.

The first handgun that fit just right was the Walther P99 with the replaceable backstrap grips and the Kimber Ultra CDP 3" .45., so I have been eyeing the newer Hk.45's with the adj. backstraps and then I saw the FNP tacticals on the FNHUSA website and they have more of a 1911 style grip with the adj. backstraps plus 15rnd capacity!

I guess I will have to call around to see which local shops have either of those two guns in stock and then see for myself which one I like best! I know most HK's have a good track record but I had not heard much about the FNP's.

You haven't heard much about the FNP? ok i'll buy that. google is your friend.

When is the last time FN put out a piece of shit anything?

I rest my case. Same goes for H&K.

That very question irritates me. Which is better?

How can I or anyone else tell you which one is better for YOU??
As long as your dealing with two quality manufacturers (which you are). No one can answer that question for you. Get out there and try them out, that isn't a question the fanboys can answer on the internet.

I own the FN 45 USG, HK USP 45 FullSize and HK 45 Compact. All 3 are great pistols. Must have 2.5 - 3K rounds run though each - with no issues at all. I don't think you will go wrong with either one.

I am still deciding on the HK45, but if's as good as the USP then it's a no brainer.

Currently running a USP tactical in .45 with no complaints other than the proprietary accessory rail. Only other bitch I'd have is that locking in a fully loaded mag takes a concerted effort.

No experience with the FN but haven't heard anything negative to date.

The HK45 over the FNP IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DougSSG3000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for everyones input so far! I have average size hands (so I am told) so most large caliber handguns feel too big, like the full size glock 45.

The first handgun that fit just right was the Walther P99 with the replaceable backstrap grips and the Kimber Ultra CDP 3" .45., so I have been eyeing the newer Hk.45's with the adj. backstraps and then I saw the FNP tacticals on the FNHUSA website and they have more of a 1911 style grip with the adj. backstraps plus 15rnd capacity!

I guess I will have to call around to see which local shops have either of those two guns in stock and then see for myself which one I like best! I know most HK's have a good track record but I had not heard much about the FNP's. </div></div>

Doug,

Not going to tell you which to buy, as both the HK and FN make fine pistols, but any double stack mag (holding 15 rounds of 45 ACP) is going to have a fat-ass grip.

Single stack 45's are still popular (holding 8 to 10 rounds), even in a world with 15 rd 45 mags, due mainly to grip circumference.

Hey, but try them out before you buy.

Bob

Not to go too far off topic, but Glock does make the SF slim-frame now that I find to be far smaller than the original. A G21 is half the price of the HK, has a proven track record, plus accessories are the most abundant of anyome...just to keep your other options open. So many good makers out there with very competative products.. just depends on how deep your pockets are and what you really want.

On the two originally asked about.. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd go with the better value and get more ammo.. but that's me.

HK45, but not as it comes from the factory. It needs to be stippled, it needs certain control surfaces radiused and otherwise alteres, it needs the godawful painted sights replaced with tritium, and for my tastes and needs, an ambi safety/decocker. You wouldn't think that a $1,000 pistol should need anything else, but yes, it needs at least another $300 worth of work and doodads.

They're not "painted" sights actually... I like them(not as much as the 10-8s on my 1911 though) because you can have illumination when you want it and plain black when you want that.

I have a FN 45 on the way, anyone have a holster recommendation? I have not seen many options.

My only non 1911 is my HK 45.....looked at the FN, gave it some consideration, liked the way the HK felt. So far, I'm not disapointed.