• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Foam for Pelican case 1720?

super-tac

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2011
Florida
Anyone know where to find some generic foam to fit this of the OEM type? I don't have a foam factory near me.

I just need the middle piece for a 1720 case. If anyone has one laying around I won't be mad at that either.
wink.gif

Thanks!

Re: Foam for Pelican case 1720?

I buy foam for gun cases at my local "surplus" store in Livermore, CA (they sell it for camping and bedrolls); here in the Carson City, NV area I find the same foam at a fabric store (it can be used for upholstery). So, look in the Yellow Pages under fabic stores or foam suppliers and let your fingers do the walking. Both stores carry flat and waffled black/gray foam sheets from 1" to 4" thick.

I'll check the fabric store, no foam company around me that I know of. I miss Livermore, one of the last decent places in the Bay.

I did check foaambymail but wasn't sure of the correct density, that seems expensive as well. I could be wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phillik747</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of posts on this. You can try here for a less expensive option and cut it to fit with a hot wire cutter or an electric knife.

http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html

Kyle</div></div>

I purchase all the foam for my business at the foam factory, it is about 2 hours from where I live, great folks.

With that said, that is 100% not the correct foam to use in a pelican case. The foam shown here will suck up moisture like a sponge, and rust and oxidation will kill your rifle.

The proper foam that you are looking for is called POLYETHYLENE, which is here:

http://www.foambymail.com/Polyethylene.html

to do a 1720, you will need 1 piece of 54"x24"x1.5", and 2 pieces of 54"x24"x1".

The two one inch pieces are for the bottom of the case, and the Lid, and the 1.5" piece is what you trace your rifle on and cut out. The foam is great, because it is a dense foam, and cuts like butter with a fillet knife. Hot wire cutters are not needed for foam this dense.

I messed up and purchased 2" for the center, and was too thick, so used the 1.5 I had for the lid for the center, and need to get back down to buy the 1" piece for the lid. Anything thicker than those combinations, and the case will not shut on the rifle.

It might seem a little expensive, but remember, you have a $300 Pelican case, and a $100 in foam to protect what...in my case it's a $4500 rifle. No brainer.

DSC00367.JPG

DSC00369.JPG

That's an excellent point about making sure it's closed-cell polyethylene.