• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folding Chassis or Fixed- Your Preference & Why?

Do you prefer a Folding Chassis or Fixed for your center fire rifles, and WHY?

• Folding Chassis

Votes: 68 75.6%
  • Fixed Chassis

Votes: 23 25.6%

• Total voters

Milf Dots

Milf Hunter Extraordinaire
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2019

Reactions: xphunter
In theory, folding. What they said…cleaning, action servicing, handloading measurements, cases, car fitting…
But practically the two chassis I love are fixed. And only fixed. ( Manners TCS and ARC Xylo) so folding is a luxury I have to forget about

Reactions: 338dude
Folder all the way and folding to the right 👌. One advantage that hasn't been mentioned yet is small cases! Able to use most AR soft and hard cases even with 26 barrels.

folder, for nothing else than you are thinking of it already

youll buy a fixed and still want a folder

Speaking of which is the ATX hinge in stock anywhere?

First person to PM me with one gets a cock punch. This is not a WTB post.

• Haha
A lot depends on the rifle and how easy it is to remove the bolt.
On the old AI rifles before everything was folding, having to take off the cheek piece to pull the bolt out was a pain, so the folder fixed that.
It can also mean fitting across the back seat of a compact car in it's case vs not fitting.

Some stupid countries don't allow it for some stupid reason.

The big issue however is often the price of the folder vs the fixed for other kinds of stocks.

Non Folder for most of mine. I do have 2 XLR Folders and they are nice, but decided I didn't use that feature enough when I got my MPA.s

Another vote for a folder. Easier cleaning. Shorter height when folded for my already over loaded safe. And I have a case that I sometimes use that will only accommodate a folder.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Fixed. These damn chassis are expensive enough for those versions.

A high-quality solid-locking folder is just as good as a fixed chassis, but has every benefit (as mentioned above) being that it folds.

I prefer a good folder for compact storage and carrying, and all the other reasons mentioned above.

My barrels with the suppressors, tend to be on the long side. Because they are muzzle heavy, I have to sling them barrel down when moving to different positions or on a long walk.

I'm not tall enough to keep the suppressor from dragging the ground when slung barrel down.

So a folding buttstock is not an option. With shorter barrels, I don't have a problem with fixed buttstocks.

Why do I like fixed stock? I am not a LEO or Military sniper and never will be I am almost 50 years old. If I was I would be provided with a weapon.

I long ago out grew my Anime/Manga/Cos Play hobbie and never felt the need to LARP as something I am not.

The more complicated you make your rifle the more that can fail when you need it.

I am not going to kick in doors and clear rooms with a bolt action sniper rifle and I would not be in a tank, bradley, up armored Tahoe with a long bolt gun.

If I am out hunting I have had the sound of a safety clicking as I took it off sending game running. Imagine the sound of folding the stock out and locking into place!

I am not jumping out of a plane with a static line and a spare shoot + gear etc....

Not once in my 50 years on this earth and 39 years of shooting firearms in competition, hunting or plinking with a bolt gun said to myself "If only I had a folding stock life would be so much easier!".

Now if we are talking about clearing rooms, getting in and out of vehicle's constantly in a combat area, jumping out of planes into combat, an SBR in a semi-auto platform I am all over folding stock, collapsible stock, telescopic stock! To have one and not need one is almost as mall-ninja as the guy with the Rambo knife or the craptastic China fixed blade painted black with the word "Ninja" on the blade! I understand this page is 9 deep into mall ninja's but I too have an opinion even if 75% of the people on the site hate my opinion.

Not only do I have asbestos under wear but I also have Halon fire suppression system built into my slippers!

Too many world class hunters and snipers in Europe, Africa, South East Asia, America, Russia, Middle East have long ago say the last 200 years found a way to be super successful with out a folding stock on a hunting or sniper rifle!

At the end of the day though buy and build what ever you want!

I think you are being overly emotional and hugely biased by your own possible misunderstanding of why some folks like the utility of a folding stock.

You do realize that on a bolt action rifle, you usually only fold the stock for cleaning or transport and would of course have locked back into standard position before going out on your wonderful hunt?

Opposite to you I guess, I can say for a fact, I enjoyed having my AW and AWSM being able to fold the stocks as it made cleaning a bit faster and easier.
Sure, I could have lived with them being fixed, but the utility of the folding stock was useful to me and there is no difference in the rigidity or strength of the stock.

On MSR rifles, which I'm guessing you would even more despise, having a folding stock on something like an MCX lets you not worry about all this SBR and pistol brace stuff because your folded stock makes the whole rifle not much longer than most folks' MSR based SBRs. Which lets you easily carry it in a vehicle easier, in a place where it's within arm's reach, shoot it folded if you need to, or just flick the stock open when you have room.
Or pack it down into a small carry bag that takes little room and is discrete.

Is it totally necessary? No, but it's useful.

Fixed for now, but there's most likely a folder or two in the near future.

This probably has more to do with how you attach your sling than it does whether or not your stock folds. I see a lot of people that attach slings at the very tip of the butt stock and the tip of the foreend. This will cause a gun to sit lower on your body when slung. I attach my sling near the rear of the receiver by the pistol grip and in the front about 2 or 3" in front of the recoil lug on the foreend. This keeps your gun higher on your body.
That is correct. However, I cannot attach the sling at the rear of the receiver. Even if I could that still might not give me much clearance.

Here's a photo of one of my rifles with the fixed KRG W-3 before I switched to a folding buttstock on another W-3. The barrel is 26" in length.

Rem 700 6-5 CM 1.jpg

Reactions: 30calDeath
Folding all the way. Fits in a smaller case and makes bore sighting or cleaning easier. With a quality folder the only downside is usually just a bit more $.

I think the only way I'd own a fixed stock would be if I ever had a traditional stock. I'd never consider a chassis without a folder.

If there is no need for the chassis/stock to fold then why spend the extra money for that feature? If there is a need for a folding feature then the money is well spent in my book.

Taking KRG as an example, spending extra for the capability makes no sense to me just to gain easier cleaning. My fixed stock rifles use KMW Loggerhead hardware so removing the cheek piece isn’t a big deal, it’ll always return to the same spot. Rifles are stored in the unfolded configuration, and physically take up less width space when unfolded. I have long enough cases to transport them unfolded, though with 26” barrels it's starting to push what comfortably fits in the trunk. L

The one folder I do have I am not impressed with, but I didn’t pay the egregious upgrade price for that capability. Overall what it brings to the table is nice I guess just not for the price the manufacturer demands.

Not once in my 50 years on this earth and 39 years of shooting firearms in competition, hunting or plinking with a bolt gun said to myself "If only I had a folding stock life would be so much easier!".
“In my very narrow scope of experience never using this piece of equipment, I’ve never had to use this piece of equipment, and you shouldn’t either!”

Did you immigrate from ARFCOM legally? Or are you the new Lil Gucci burner account?

“When dynamically entering a structure to asymmetrically clear and hold advantageous positions for follow on actions, do you prefer the lug pattern and traction profile of Salomon or Merrell footwear?”

I run fixed on everything. I would be so sad if the folder ever became sloppy is my main reason for not trying one.

Solomon is for those that know. Merrell is for those that think they know. Asolo if for those that seek red heels instead of some sort of actual traction.
I choose ASolo because red = faster according my sources that do science.

OP, here is a list of things that are made easier with a folding stock.
-driving with a rifle in your truck.
-finding a case for a rifle you plan to keep in a case with suppressor installed
-carrying a rifle on the front of your body with a sling
-carrying a rifle on the rear of your body with a sling
-putting a rifle in a pack scabbard
-Cleaning a rifle
-Boresighting a rifle

The only limiting factor to a folder is the design of the hinge itself, and if it’s not a jankety-ass design (looking at you hnt26) it will only be a positive addition.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
If I planned to fly with the gun much, to matches, etc. then I'd go folder.

I have a Pelican 1720 (~42" case, AR/PCC, would fit a folder) and a V800 (~53" case, fits a fixed) and there's no doubt which one would be a hell of a lot easier to drag around an airport and/or while looking for a rental car.

Reactions: ma smith
Why do I like fixed stock? I am not a LEO or Military sniper and never will be I am almost 50 years old. If I was I would be provided with a weapon.

I long ago out grew my Anime/Manga/Cos Play hobbie and never felt the need to LARP as something I am not.

The more complicated you make your rifle the more that can fail when you need it.

I am not going to kick in doors and clear rooms with a bolt action sniper rifle and I would not be in a tank, bradley, up armored Tahoe with a long bolt gun.

If I am out hunting I have had the sound of a safety clicking as I took it off sending game running. Imagine the sound of folding the stock out and locking into place!

I am not jumping out of a plane with a static line and a spare shoot + gear etc....

Now if we are talking about clearing rooms, getting in and out of vehicle's constantly in a combat area, jumping out of planes into combat, an SBR in a semi-auto platform I am all over folding stock, collapsible stock, telescopic stock! To have one and not need one is almost as mall-ninja as the guy with the Rambo knife or the craptastic China fixed blade painted black with the word "Ninja" on the blade! I understand this page is 9 deep into mall ninja's but I too have an opinion even if 75% of the people on the site hate my opinion.

Not only do I have asbestos under wear but I also have Halon fire suppression system built into my slippers!

Too many world class hunters and snipers in Europe, Africa, South East Asia, America, Russia, Middle East have long ago say the last 200 years found a way to be super successful with out a folding stock on a hunting or sniper rifle!

What an oddly passive aggressive post justifying to yourself your dislike of folding stocks.

Folding is what I would pick, IF I had a rifle with a chassis.
For all of the reasons already mentioned.
Plus, when in unusual shooting positions (like on slopes or having to shoot up, especially when you are facing down), where the buttstock impedes you , you can fold it, and shoot it while running your field bag or hand underneath the pistol grip.
Depending on the chambering/weight/recoil etc., you could be 90 degrees from your rifle and still make accurate shots.

There's no down side to a folder. The good ones lock up very very well so if you see any benefit to a folder then that's that. I have a few and just cleaning it's worth it to me because I got really tired of taking my cheek piece off to do it. It also helps a lot in certain situations and makes it a lot easier in my safe without having to remove my cans.

Who make the chassis in the first picture?
It was a Cadex CPS that I swapped the takedown section for a folder off another chassis.
So are you trying to tell us you need this to hunt deer or elk with? Taking that to Africa are you for a hunt? Maybe jumping out of a plane to go walk around your local shopping mall with that? I have some carbon fiber ski polls to go along with that for walking around the mall first thing in the morning.
You are a clown. That’s definitely what I was aiming for with my post, had nothing to do with posting some pics in a near pic-free thread.

Anyone with a username like yours would 100% let other men fuck their wife in front of them. I hope they also kick your dog on the walk out.

So are you trying to tell us you need this to hunt deer or elk with? Taking that to Africa are you for a hunt? Maybe jumping out of a plane to go walk around your local shopping mall with that? I have some carbon fiber ski polls to go along with that for walking around the mall first thing in the morning.

C2EF265A-1D9F-4521-A4E1-442FA7E34E3C.jpeg

Looks like Elmer Fudd found his way here.

DERP if you like a stock feature that makes cleaning and packing easier you’re a mall ninja DERP.

Reactions: Nik H
You would likely be shocked to know how many agencies either don't supply a precision weapon or at least a good precision weapon in which case the slotted officer buys his own. Since you likely lack initiative and commitment, you would probably not find yourself passing the necessary screens and training to be any kind of LE/MIL sniper so you would just do without.
and yet here you are LARPing as something you are not.
You mean complicated as in what you do to a web forum?
How many pics do you need me to post of guys with precision bolt guns being transported in or setup in Mil vehicles, SUVs and commercial trucks/vans to convince you this is SOP stuff in many instances?
Any hunter that plans on not starving to death would have the rifle stock deployed into usable configuration well before any likelihood of seeing game.
But we wish you would jump with a spare shoot in addition to your main shoot so that you would have a shoot to prevent an untimely mishap.
We are in agreement that even after another 50 years on this earth and 89 years of shooting, you will still not have uttered the words "if only I had a folding stock life would be so much easier!" and you would show up in our future holographic Bolt Action Rifles forum to mansplain it to us heathens.
Now if we are talking about clearing rooms, getting in and out of vehicle's constantly in a combat area, jumping out of planes into combat, an SBR in a semi-auto platform I am all over folding stock, collapsible stock, telescopic stock!
After careful analysis and consideration, we are pretty sure if you were trying to do any of the above in a combat area, we would all be inconvenienced by having to walk around your battle field cross of neatly stacked helmet, gun and boots just to get our damned chow after your first day of deployment.

To have one and not need one is almost as mall-ninja as the guy with the Rambo knife or the craptastic China fixed blade painted black with the word "Ninja" on the blade! I understand this page is 9 deep into mall ninja's but I too have an opinion even if 75% of the people on the site hate my opinion.
75%? Really? You think only 75% of this forum hates your opinion?
And yet I bet your asbestos underwear folds but here you are dissing stocks that fold....
200yrs...... um..... yeah.... Folding stocks were as rare as optics, smokeless powder and modern antibiotics.
You could have simply posted this single sentence and accomplished the same...

You would likely be shocked to know how many agencies either don't supply a precision weapon or at least a good precision weapon in which case the slotted officer buys his own. Since you likely lack initiative and commitment, you would probably not find yourself passing the necessary screens and training to be any kind of LE/MIL sniper so you would just do without.

How many pics do you need me to post of guys with precision bolt guns being transported in or setup in Mil vehicles, SUVs and commercial trucks/vans to convince you this is SOP stuff in many instances?

Any hunter that plans on not starving to death would have the rifle stock deployed into usable configuration well before any likelihood of seeing game.

But we wish you would jump with a spare shoot in addition to your main shoot so that you would have a shoot to prevent an untimely mishap.

We are in agreement that even after another 50 years on this earth and 89 years of shooting, you will still not have uttered the words "if only I had a folding stock life would be so much easier!" and you would show up in our future holographic Bolt Action Rifles forum to mansplain it to us heathens.

After careful analysis and consideration, we are pretty sure if you were trying to do any of the above in a combat area, we would all be inconvenienced by having to walk around your battle field cross of neatly stacked helmet, gun and boots just to get our damned chow after your first day of deployment.

And yet I bet your asbestos underwear folds but here you are dissing stocks that fold....

200yrs...... um..... yeah.... Folding stocks were as rare as optics, smokeless powder and modern antibiotics.

I think he has moved his negative rating up past 75%. I would guess it’s over 90% now. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Taylorbok
we went fixed cause I love unwieldy guns and think of folding as just something else to break .

Mic Drop 👍👍