• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folding chassis recommendations..

Mt_Hunt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2018
Chester, Montana
Building a new rifle on a Bighorn origin and looking for pros/cons on various folding chasssi.. I have a folder on my XLR and love it. What to try a new chassis with this gun and really like the MPA and MDT ACC chassis but only the MPA has a folder option.. Also thought of the KRG Whiskey 3, XLR envy. The AI-AX, or Cadex lite comp is absolute top of the budget.
My usual LOP is 14.5-14.75 so the folder makes the LOP work in my favor.
Suggestions would be great.. I hope to try out some different chassis from some friends at a match this weekend but not many run folders.

I have a TL3 in an AX AICS chassis. Not straight drop in, the skins need to be modified a little for it to fit right.

No desire to try any of the other chassis options on the market right now. I’m a big fan of this one, and wasn’t sure I was going to be.

I own an AI AX and believe that chassis is awesome; however, I also have a build in a KRG W3 chassis. Both serve their intended purpose for me; but, I actually prefer the KRG chassis ergonomics. You best bet is to get out to a match and find people with the various chassis's within your budget and ask to have a feel. You will find most people will be willing to help and spruke their favorite chassis to you.

Reactions: Massoud
My vote is for a Whiskey 3 or AX AICS. Between the two I feel the Whiskey to be the more comfortable chassis and I own both. AICS is more coin however it does fold over the bolt. If that’s even a factor.

I do own an MPA chassis as well and it sits in the corner. Nice chassis but the others out shine it in my opinion. From a folding standpoint you’ll be in better hands not choosing the MPA.

KRG W3.

Older gens get my nod vs the newest ones tho

I have both MDT and MPA Chassis’. I’m partial to the MPA. Offered in competition and light designs, the MPA Lite is only 3 pounds making it a good choice for a carry hunting rifle.

Krg or aics/ax. I feel these 2 do it the best.

A note on the krg though...if shooting left shoulder with your thumb up on their thumb shelf you can get a bit cramped. My thumb knuckle always was in contact with the folding mechanism.

AX fan here (have rifles and chassis)
Tightest folder lock up out there
Zero slop or slack

Reactions: USMC mustang
KRG W3 is my go to. I got the last run (or so they told me) for the badger M2013 and absolutely love it.

Have multiple XLR with their new Gen2 folder and the ACC. All good options. Really love the weight system on the ACC. MDT will be releasing their folder next month from what I'm told by my contacts over there. The ACC is an awesome chassis and I'd thats what you want wait another month and get it with the folder..

Reactions: MDT_Josh
I just stated in another thread. I can’t stand the look of a traditional stock that folds, I know they have the chassis system in them, I just can’t get over the appearance.

With that said for quality and function, I think you would have a really hard time beating the AI systems.

I'll throw out a different option - PDC Custom. I've gad their Gen4 Competition (centerfire and rimfire), X Project, and now Gen5 Competition chassis over the last few years, and I have been really happy with them. Then Gen5 has integrated arca AND anschutz rails on both the main handguard and integrated spigot, flush cups on both sides, and the option of fixed or folding and tool-required or tool-free adjustments. The folder is probably the best designed folding system I have tried on a bolt gun, and even has an adjustment for tension/lockup.

My vote is for a Whiskey 3 or AX AICS. Between the two I feel the Whiskey to be the more comfortable chassis and I own both. AICS is more coin however it does fold over the bolt. If that’s even a factor.

I do own an MPA chassis as well and it sits in the corner. Nice chassis but the others out shine it in my opinion. From a folding standpoint you’ll be in better hands not choosing the MPA.

What makes the MPA folder a lower option?

What makes the MPA folder a lower option?
I don’t think their folding mechanism is quite what the others are. My buddy’s likes to come loose after shooting awhile. I found some reports of the same here when I was shopping for my MPA and went with the fixed option.

My vote is the AI AX chassis. I did not like the ergo’s of the KRG I had for a short time. The cheek weld was too thin for my liking, IMHO.

Reactions: Johnny Crash
Can the AI AX chassis fold over an impact bolt handle?

It should. It’ll fold over a Curtis handle and the space below is open.

When I pick up my Lone Peak I’ll report back if it works. They have similar bolt handles.

My vote is MPA w/ folder. I have or have had, XLR element, KRG W3, AICS, and of course MPA all with folders. AI and MPA have the most solid lock up, and the sleekest design. Followed by KRG and lastly XLR. My MPA and AICS have been very solid and never come loose. They also have a very simple and clean single button design. The KRG is solid, but I don't like the added hinges that hang off, or the fact there are two separate buttons for locking/unlocking. I like the XLR folder, but it repeatedly comes loose and needs minor adjustment to keep some up and down play out of it.

My vote is MPA w/ folder. I have or have had, XLR element, KRG W3, AICS, and of course MPA all with folders. AI and MPA have the most solid lock up, and the sleekest design. Followed by KRG and lastly XLR. My MPA and AICS have been very solid and never come loose. They also have a very simple and clean single button design. The KRG is solid, but I don't like the added hinges that hang off, or the fact there are two separate buttons for locking/unlocking. I like the XLR folder, but it repeatedly comes loose and needs minor adjustment to keep some up and down play out of it.

I put the MDT folder adapter on my XLR element and it locks tight never had it come loose or have any kind of wiggle.

Are you referring to XLR's Gen1 folder or their new Gen2 folder? I had 3 Gen 1 folders and once adjusted they locked up tight but like you, over time they came loose. I have 2 of their new Gen2's and they are very nice, and lock up solid.

Also, MDT's folder is built like a tank and there is no adjusting. Its rock solid from the get go.

Are you referring to XLR's Gen1 folder or their new Gen2 folder? I had 3 Gen 1 folders and once adjusted they locked up tight but like you, over time they came loose. I have 2 of their new Gen2's and they are very nice, and lock up solid.

Also, MDT's folder is built like a tank and there is no adjusting. Its rock solid from the get go.
Not sure, very likely gen 1. It was purchased roughly 4 years ago. I wasn't aware they had changed their design.

I don’t think their folding mechanism is quite what the others are. My buddy’s likes to come loose after shooting awhile. I found some reports of the same here when I was shopping for my MPA and went with the fixed option.

Probably the older folder version. Mine is the newest design and it locks up tight as shit with no issues. OP if you're interested in a burnt bronze MPA folder with all the newest jazz and castle cut and front weight kit PM me it's for sale.

I have the XLR gen 1 and yeah,,,,,you have to adjust it as needed.

The new gen 2 or MDT options look interesting.

Probably the older folder version. Mine is the newest design and it locks up tight as shit with no issues. OP if you're interested in a burnt bronze MPA folder with all the newest jazz and castle cut and front weight kit PM me it's for sale.
I’ll have to let my buddy know about that. Didn’t realize they ever changed it. Glad you you mentioned it.

I have the XLR gen 1 and yeah,,,,,you have to adjust it as needed.

The new gen 2 or MDT options look interesting.

The XLR Gen1 was great. What I found and discussed this with my contacts over at XLR over the years was that the folding adapter itself was aluminum and the adjustable set screws were steel. Over lots of folding and use, those steel set screws stripped out the aluminum threaded holes.

The new Gen2 is a much better design and works great!

I really

MDT is doing great things at the moment. I really like their vertical grip.

You mean this one?

It would, just at the current moment the colours would not match and we don't sell the ACC chassis by itself (without buttstock) but all of that is about to change! As well as more colour options.

Awesome!!!! I love the feel of the ACC and the balancing options...
This new build is going to be my new match gun and most of the components are all from prize table certificates... Looking forward to seeing the new ACC.. Thank you for the info.

Got home with my Fuzion and the AX buttstock comes in contact ever so slightly with the bottom of the bolt handle. Would need to remove maybe an 1/8” of material if that.

I've got the MPA, I added the folding stock once it released. It's brilliant. All the accessories they offer for it are incredibly well thought out and bullet proof.

Thank you gentlemen for your business and recommendations!

Regarding our cheekpiece, we will have the original (i.e. gen 1 and 2 W-3) slim version available soon giving you three options:
- slim
-standard
-wider rubber overmolded

Thanks guys.
Justin

Justin, bring back the adapters for the Victor Co cheek pieces please.

If you still have this folding adapter give us a call and ask for Matt. I will warranty you a brand new Gen 2 folder no questions.

I will state that all the options from the companies listed above are ALL great options for folding chassis, as some may have mentioned for the OP it would be in your best interest to contact the companies and discuss their products and ultimately get behind them first hand. Specifically the models you are interested in as the ergonomics and feel of 1 chassis VS. another prone, and especially off barricades will feel different to each shooter. Give them a try!!

If you still have this folding adapter give us a call and ask for Matt. I will warranty you a brand new Gen 2 folder no questions.

I will state that all the options from the companies listed above are ALL great options for folding chassis, as some may have mentioned for the OP it would be in your best interest to contact the companies and discuss their products and ultimately get behind them first hand. Specifically the models you are interested in as the ergonomics and feel of 1 chassis VS. another prone, and especially off barricades will feel different to each shooter. Give them a try!!
That is a very generous offer, and typical of the customer service I’ve seen from you guys in the past. I really like the chassis overall, the old folder design was the only short coming. Thank you for standing by your product and customers! If only every company operated like yours...