• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folding offset sights - why?

SandFam3

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
May 9, 2017
Missouri
I’ve been trying to understand the thought process behind folding offset sights, particularly in relation to a LMT MWS with a 2-10 optic. If they are folded, they aren’t much use, and if they are up, I would think they are prone to damage due to the angle.

Am I missing something on this?

Backup when your optic is shot through by an insurgent and you're still in the fight.

I’m not a fan of 45 degree offset irons just because it’s not as fast or easy to present as an offset RDS.

Just my opinion and it’s certainly subjective but I would run an RDS at 45 degrees before a set of BUIS. Those id keep on top.

Assuming you also run an aiming IR laser for use with helmet mounted NODs, that gives you 4 different target acquisition systems for engagement which is plenty for day and night.

Last edited:
I mean, let's be clear, I have Magpul Pro offsets on my AR because they're tacticool. I've zeroed them out at 50 yards (looking like an idiot doing so) and have never touched them since. :)

Backup when your optic is shot through by an insurgent and you're still in the fight.
I’ve thought of that, but it seems like if the optic is down, I’d rather pull the optic and run the traditional position backup iron sights.

I think the offset iron sights are being looked at from a narrow point of view. Remove "back up" from the lexicon and look at them more as an auxiliary sighting system that can be used in lieu of or supplemental to the primary optic.

You can get fixed or folding versions, I prefer folding but if you think about it, traditional folding sights aren't much use either while they're stowed and to use them you need to remove the optic. With offset sights though you can just flip them up when needed, rotate the gun, and let it eat. There's no need to remove the primary optic, which also makes zeroing both systems much more simplified in the long run. In so far as them getting damaged goes, anything you strap to the gun can get damaged one or another but I don't think it's really any more susceptible to it. Some offsets, like the Magpul version, lock up on a ball detent so that if they get hit hard enough they collapse back down. The quality fixed offset sights are very robust and probably not prone to failure.

In a competition environment, which is where I use my offsets now, this lets me keep my primary optic on a higher magnification for long shots and use the offsets for close in. Depending on the stage this can save me from engaging close targets on 1X and then taking the time to swing the cat tail up to a higher mag, find my targets, and engage. Using offsets combined with a magnified optic also keeps me in Tac Optics and out of Open class at some matches.

As far as speed goes, I haven't compared them to an offset red dot but they're not exactly slow either.

I think the offset iron sights are being looked at from a narrow point of view. Remove "back up" from the lexicon and look at them more as an auxiliary sighting system that can be used in lieu of or supplemental to the primary optic.

You can get fixed or folding versions, I prefer folding but if you think about it, traditional folding sights aren't much use either while they're stowed and to use them you need to remove the optic. With offset sights though you can just flip them up when needed, rotate the gun, and let it eat. There's no need to remove the primary optic, which also makes zeroing both systems much more simplified in the long run. In so far as them getting damaged goes, anything you strap to the gun can get damaged one or another but I don't think it's really any more susceptible to it. Some offsets, like the Magpul version, lock up on a ball detent so that if they get hit hard enough they collapse back down. The quality fixed offset sights are very robust and probably not prone to failure.

In a competition environment, which is where I use my offsets now, this lets me keep my primary optic on a higher magnification for long shots and use the offsets for close in. Depending on the stage this can save me from engaging close targets on 1X and then taking the time to swing the cat tail up to a higher mag, find my targets, and engage. Using offsets combined with a magnified optic also keeps me in Tac Optics and out of Open class at some matches.

As far as speed goes, I haven't compared them to an offset red dot but they're not exactly slow either.

Some optics can be left on the rifle unless a serious amount of damage is taken with BUIS. I have only ran red dots on offset mounts but understand the use and why people would like the offset irons as you mentioned.

I would agree... I would have never tried fixed offset irons unless someone had given me a pair to try. They are not nearly as bulky as I thought they would be and I would now rather fixed over folding. They really shine on an semi auto with a 3-18x or similar optic for the really close stuff. I don't expect them to be precise, just good enough to put rounds on target.

I also agree that some rifles should have the good old fashion folding backup sights. I love these on guns with LPVOs and red dots.

Finally, I just get a little anxious about having my backup sight run on batteries. Even with an auto shutoff and crazy battery life, I just can't get over that but maybe someday I will. I'll give up a little precision for that peace of mind.

Reactions: Strangedays
I’ve been trying to understand the thought process behind folding offset sights, particularly in relation to a LMT MWS with a 2-10 optic. If they are folded, they aren’t much use, and if they are up, I would think they are prone to damage due to the angle.

Am I missing something on this?

Its mostly to flex on the poors.

With that being said, they are fairly quick to deploy, Considering alot of high speed low drag guys forgo back up sights down range, I am not really seeing a realistic event i need to have iron sights deployed in within a couple of seconds. if its something that important to you, may as well spend a couple hundred dollars and just put an RDS on it. At least it would be usable in low light conditions.

I think that an offset mounted RDS, behind a magnified optic on a 16 inch gun can be a awesome little set up, especially when paired with a folder.

While I think the age of irons are behind us, I still enjoy shooting with them at times when messing around at closer range.

Reactions: xtacleone
cowitness is my preference for buis. I think people like to feel like John Wick when canting the rifle, ha. but if you are running high magnification on your optic, it is nice to be able to rock your rifle to the side and utilize the irons for a target that is close range, essentially having full coverage of close and long range... if you have an optic on high magnification your cowitnessed irons will be a blur and useless.