• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Folding Shovels for Digging Hides

Re: Folding Shovels for Digging Hides

The issue Army ones have always served me well!
Just take care of them and they should be ok.

You see that's the part that eludes me....

How does one take care of a shovel....

It is ground vs. shovel.... shovel should win... no???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harris51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You see that's the part that eludes me....

How does one take care of a shovel....

It is ground vs. shovel.... shovel should win... no??? </div></div>

Spray some WD-40 on the joints and thats it after cleaning off the mud and crap and make sure the screw's and bolts are tight.
Other then that?

I like to sharpen the edges (we also used them to cut grass, and yes it does work).

USGI E-Tool.

Done lots of stuff I shouldn't have with it. That's usually the only time it breaks. I have never had a real issued E-tool break when digging. It was usually when I got stupid and tried to chop down trees or pound stuff with it.

I still have a GI E-Tool (US made) that rides in the back of my truck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USGI E-Tool.

Done lots of stuff I shouldn't have with it. That's usually the only time it breaks. I have never had a real issued E-tool break when digging. It was usually when I got stupid and tried to chop down trees or pound stuff with it.

I still have a GI E-Tool (US made) that rides in the back of my truck. </div></div>Same here!

USGI E-Tool kicks ass.
I chopped down a small tree with one when someone bet I couldn't. It was about a 6" tree; and it actually didn't take long at all.

Anyone have a source for the Glock E-tool or the USGI?

Hmm... they thought of everything for that little chinese shovel...

Nice Chinese job.... perhaps I'll give it a try.

Chinese shovels vs AZ desert..... ding.... round one!

Love my Glock trenching shovel tool - comes with a saw in the handle as well. Hasn't broken on my yet but I haven't tried to deliberately break it either by abusing it.

I am really good to my gear, oiling, cleaning generally loving....

But Shovels and I just don't seem to get along?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deviant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Chinese got it right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o </div></div>
Nice, but what's up with the John Wayne music. I'd be weary of buying one. There's a lot of Chinese knockoffs out there
wink.gif

i like my GI issue shovel..didnt know you were supposed to be able to cut down a tree with it...lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dtarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deviant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Chinese got it right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60OZhrTB6o </div></div>

Any idea where to get one of these? </div></div>

This is much better:
http://bennyhillifier.com/?id=b60OZhrTB6o

I wonder how long it will take for counterfeit china-army shovels to appear on ebay...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m54dmb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i like my GI issue shovel..didnt know you were supposed to be able to cut down a tree with it...lol </div></div>

I've only cut down some soft pine and other small stuff. I would avoid big oak trees!

Just go down the the local home Depot, get you a standard full size D handled spade shovel. Seperate the spade from the handle, and cut it to what lenght will fix it your ruck. Run a dummy corded pull pin through the spade and handle. So you dont lose it at night! Work for years on the LRS Teams!

issued e-tool, dont abuse the hell outta the thing and it will last forever, and it comes with a carry case with molle straps

Personally I like the Cold Steel shovel. Very high quality and compact enough to pack around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">have used but not abused Glock shovel and it has served well thus far </div></div>

I've got a Glock spade too (it's a big improvement on our old WWII surplus M43s). They're standard issue in our miltary here, and I've yet to hear any negative comments on them from anyone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shovel comparsion here. Gerber (Fiskars) is NATO approved.

http://www.equipped.com/devices25.htm </div></div>

I really dislike This shovel. Litle bit of dirt whit too much force while deploying and da-daa malfunction. Gets rusty (doesnt bother me but while in service..)

It doesnt take too much "force" to make that malfunction while deploying.By malfunction i mean that once its deployed you cant packit up again. There is some ways to clear that malfunction but those tricks just dont work 100%. More like 75% of the times.

My issue E-tool has served me well for years. Don't abuse it, though it does get used. Hunting camp, river canoe trips, general camping and hunting usage. Fire pits, some light tree/brush trimming, leveling tent sight, etc... Just my .02
Eric

I've used a WWII folding shovel for 45+ years and it's still going strong. Haven't cut down any trees, but a lot of tree roots. Down side is it's a little heavy, but that makes it better to swing as a pick.

Hard to find a real one now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harris51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone found a small or collapsible shovel that they couldn't break in the first 10 minutes of use?</div></div>
take a look at Sniper Bladeworks in a month or two when he releases his

I wonder if any chinese were injured durring the making of the video?

Yep, I live very close to the 17 and Carefree highway.

Used to go up to prescott a lot for Gunsite... not much lately.

I can hunt coyotes from my pool.... literally...

And yes, pool water makes the suppressor more efficient.
smile.gif

Could have popped a c-dog this morning out of the truck with the glock. He crossed the road and stood 15 feet from the road and looked at me. I came to a complete stop opended the window. Man they are used to people up very brave. I have had them not even be bothered by our dogs barking at them through the fence they just lay there and wait for the next meal.

Thing about that chi-com shovel is most everything it can do a good leatherman type tool can do better. I didnt even see a corkscrew or screwdrivers on the dam thing.

I have both the USGI E-Tool and the Glock. I have beat the crap out of the USGI E-Tool and it was well used when i got it. I really like the glock with the saw in the handle and have used it but not abused it yet. I figure the saw will take away some of the abuse since the shovel no longer has to act as an axe...

I've got one of the old US folding E-tools with the wooden handle. The handle has a split, does anyone know where I could get a new handle?