• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s For Model 70 Fans - History and Humor-HIJACKED ARFCOM Style!! Now the "who is more right about popular Hathcock pictures"

stompbox

Private
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Minnesota, USA
    This a Power Point Presentation that I had to do when I went to Gunsmithing College. We had to pick a firearm to present to the class, I of course, chose the model 70.

I edited my old PowerPoint presentation so that everyone can stop losing their minds over an incorrect picture of Carlos Hathcock. You can now take your crusade to the THOUSANDS of other articles, advertisements, forums, threads and other media that use the same picture. A picture that is one of the top 3 pictures that pop up if do a search for images of Carlos Hathcock.
    I have to go now and continue my Self-Flagellation for my unforgivable offenses. Good day.

Last edited:
    Well done. Here is what i would have chosen.
    improvised hexagun.jpg

Nice presentation!

That isn’t Hathcock though!

well if that isn't Carlos, then there are thousands and thousands of forum posts and articles about him using an incorrect photo. About anytime I have looked up anything about him I have seen that photo. Thanks for taking a big old steamy dump in my thread.

well if that isn't Carlos, then there are thousands and thousands of forum posts and articles about him using an incorrect photo. About anytime I have looked up anything about him I have seen that photo. Thanks for taking a big old steamy dump in my thread.
    So the picture used for the book about his exploits, isn't him? that picture is everywhere. You can't see his whole face, so maybe it's true.

1606859896095.png

Not Carlos Hathcock. LCpl Gunderson, most mis-identified picture there is. and yes, thousands of books and forums got it wrong. What more proof do you need than the original press photo, plus the fact that he doesn't look like Hathcock at all.
    OPERATION VIRGINIA- -Marine Lance Corporal Dalton Gunderson checking the area for Viet Cong snipers, 1966 Note the Unertl-equipped rifle. (Photo/caption: U.S. Marine Corps History Division)

“OPERATION VIRGINIA- -Marine Lance Corporal Dalton Gunderson checking the area for Viet Cong snipers, 1966” Note the Unertl-equipped rifle. (Photo/caption: U.S. Marine Corps History Division)

Last edited:
    There are also a lot of references to that NOT being Carlos Hathcock.

I have also seen numerous pictures of Chuck Mawhinney also listed as Hathcock. Just type Carlos Hathcock in a Google search, then open images. There is a couple in the first few results that are Gunderson and Mawhinney.

I think people see Marine sniper in Vietnam, and they default say 'oh that is Hathcock'. You know, because he was the only Marine sniper in Vietnam. Couldn't possibly be some other guy. Also memes - people will take some Hathcock quote post it to a photo of some guy in a Vietnam era setting with a scoped rifle, then post that to a 'motivational thread' on some gun forum.

Three and a half years ago, my DAD handed me his pre '64 Model 70 in .270,,, and every piece of brass to ever go thru it.. Cherry. VERY bittersweet. He just handed my the Rifleman's Rifle,, mint. But it ment he would never carry it again. A year or so later Mom and DAD visited Alaska. He gave me the 1962 receipt for said rifle,,,OMG. Check it, the phone number, the lack of a zip code,, the price. Me and this rifle have had some fun.. I thought this group could appreciate. What is the going price for a 1961 Model 70, in .270, with about a thousand rounds down range? It's not for sale.

Attachments

• .270 receipt.jpg
      .270 receipt.jpg
      310.6 KB · Views: 109
    Last edited:
    Three and a half years ago, my DAD handed me his pre '64 Model 70 in .270,,, and every piece of brass to ever go thru it.. Cherry. VERY bittersweet. He just handed my the Rifleman's Rifle,, mint. But it ment he would never carry it again. A year or so later Mom and DAD visited Alaska. He gave me the 1962 receipt for said rifle,,,OMG. Check it, the phone number, the lack of a zip code,, the price. Me and this rifle have had some fun.. I thought this group could appreciate. What is the going price for a 1961 Model 70, in .270, with about a thousand rounds down range? It's not for sale.
    Covered his name but not his signature.
    Bought on account and had to sign for it.
    Probably had some explaining to do when “mama” got the bill.

Reactions: stompbox
    You need to share that (with a ton more pix) in vintage.

So cool!

Reactions: Foul Mike