• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For the 25, Scout Snipers in Afghanistan

Awesome. Before this, the closest thing I could tell people to watch that wanted to "understand" was the documentary "Restrepo", which wasn't really that close but was at least something to offer a referernce, but THIS nails it. Many thanks for the link.

OUTSTANDING!

The comment that was made about PTSD being a very common (maybe even "normal") reaction that people returning from war experience, got me thinking. Perhaps the VA would have more success if PTSD was renamed Post Traumatic Stress CONDITION, rather than disorder. Redefining the condition this way would let sufferers know that their reaction is normal, and in fact, perhaps people who don't have a reaction to war should be seen as "abnormal". No one likes to be seen as abnormal, or that they have a psychological "disorder".

Perhaps by redefining it from a disorder to a condition, more vets would be willing to ask for help before "the wheels fall off". After all, I think the objective is to help our veterans, not to label them as abnormal.

OUTSTANDING!

The comment that was made about PTSD being a very common (maybe even "normal") reaction that people returning from war experience, got me thinking. Perhaps the VA would have more success if PTSD was renamed Post Traumatic Stress CONDITION, rather than disorder. Redefining the condition this way would let sufferers know that their reaction is normal, and in fact, perhaps people who don't have a reaction to war should be seen as "abnormal". No one likes to be seen as abnormal, or that they have a psychological "disorder".

Perhaps by redefining it from a disorder to a condition, more vets would be willing to ask for help before "the wheels fall off". After all, I think the objective is to help our veterans, not to label them as abnormal.

The way I came to look at it was "Post Traumatic Stress RESPONSE" or in a lot of cases "Post PROLONGED-Stress Response".

We accept the teaching on physiological responses to "instant stress" like the "fight or flight response" and acknowledge that shaking hands, loss of fine motor control, tunnel vision, are PHYSICAL responses of the body to a stimulus. However, going back to the terms "shell-shocked" or "battle-fatigued" and now "PTSD", we see those responses as mental/psychological. Once it's a mental/emotional problem, then it carries a connotation of weakness for having it. We accept that an "incident" that may only have a 1 or 2 second duration results in certain physical responses by the body, but for some reason we don't see living in near constant threat of death or maiming for 7mos to a year at a time has PHYSICAL effects on the body (night-sweats, sexual impotence, nightmares, etc).

The 'coming home' portion of this video and some of the dialogue in the main portion discuss what it's like to do dismounts in some of these areas. The only analogy I could ever come up with for people was going out every morning and walking through a 3-dimensional minefield (3d in that the IEDs weren't just buried, they were behind the walls, strung up in trees, etc). EVERY DAY you wake up knowing that you are going to encounter IEDs that day and you hope you find them first. Then once you make it back from patrol (hopefully with everyone you went out with, but not always), you know that you're going back out again into that same environment either again that day or the next day. Your mind NEVER gets the opportunity to "relax". You are in a CONSTANT state of "stress".

Where I really think "PTSD" is misused is with the troops that come home that saw ZERO enemy activity whatsoever. I mean NONE. They were safer on KAF than they were in their home neighborhoods but come home with "PTSD". That to me was more "Post DEPLOYMENT Stress" where living like a prisoner under GO1 and all the other ASSININE rules of conduct; being treated like toddlers and having all of their normal "freedoms" taken away causes a ton of adjustment problems once they get home.

It was funny when they talked about "keeping your balls", I think EVERYONE had that conversation. You hear people "at home" say shit like "man, if I lost both my legs, just shoot me" etc. When there's a VERY real chance it's going to happen, and HAS happened to your friends, your brain adjusts the "sliding scale" and that's where it inevitably stopped for EVERYONE. Some guys said they'd "be okay with" one, two. or even three traumatic amputations. I don't remember anyone saying they'd be okay living with quadruple amputation and NO ONE said they'd be okay without their dick (several of us agreed that we'd be okay losing our balls if we could keep our dicks, especially if that meant we could keep an extra leg or something in the bargain).

It was funny when they talked about "keeping your balls", I think EVERYONE had that conversation. You hear people "at home" say shit like "man, if I lost both my legs, just shoot me" etc. When there's a VERY real chance it's going to happen, and HAS happened to your friends, your brain adjusts the "sliding scale" and that's where it inevitably stopped for EVERYONE. Some guys said they'd "be okay with" one, two. or even three traumatic amputations. I don't remember anyone saying they'd be okay living with quadruple amputation and NO ONE said they'd be okay without their dick (several of us agreed that we'd be okay losing our balls if we could keep our dicks, especially if that meant we could keep an extra leg or something in the bargain).

Imagine how little enthusiasm for war there would be if those that sent soldiers into battle actually had to contemplate these mathematics of subtraction. Oh well guess it wouldnt matter as they lack the unnegotiable quotient.

We that have never served have ZERO idea what it was like and no movie, interview, or personal testimony will ever be able to reach us as to the depths our fighting men go thru to protect this country and our rights. To live at deaths door daily and then be thrown back into civilian live would have an effect on everyone in that situation, even the strongest minded men in the world. I was turned down when I tried to enlist 36 years ago, ( broken bones ) but I've got family that have served from secret service at the White House to an active duty sniper nephew and another nephew in the Color Guard currently. I have been to a military funeral of a friends nephew, a sniper that lost his legs, his balls and half his entrails on an i.e.d. I never met the man, his uncle is my friend and I went to pay my respects. My sniper nephew spoke at his best friends funeral, the guy he enlisted with, his best friend growing up. I was out of state and couldn't attend.
This country does NOT take care of it's warriors upon return. This is the most horrible thank you imaginable. I don't know what the answer is to that situation, but a man that protects me and my family deserves better than he's given here. I've secretly paid for military mens meals at restaurants and I'm ashamed to admit I got a little feeling of satisfaction for "helping" an active duty G.I.. Shame on me, that was nothing. Watching this video showed me just how horrible we are as a nation when it comes to our vets. God help us.
The sniper mentioned above, had a Schmidt and Bender scope on order but was k.i.a. before he received it. His brother, also a sniper, contacted the company and told them to cancel the order, he was deceased. In their appreciation, they sent the living brother the scope and refunded all monies put down on it. That spoke volumes to me as to the kind of company they are, and no, I'm in no way affiliated with them, nor do I own 1. Can't afford it, I own a used Night Force I bought for $1,300.00 from a member of this board.
Sorry for such a long response to this video, but it affected me more than any "movie" on war I've ever seen. They were all actors, these men are real.
Let me also say, at the risk of being banned for talking politics........I'm a 54 year old high school teacher. If confronted by a gunman at school, I am confident I would do everything and I mean everything possible to protect my kids, even the sorry gang banger pieces of crap that will end up dead or in prison. But there's not a snowballs chance in hell that I would take a bullet for the man in the White House currently ruining this once great nation.
I would LOVE to see him sent to walk in these mens shoes for a week !!!!!!!

Imagine how little enthusiasm for war there would be if those that sent soldiers into battle actually had to contemplate these mathematics of subtraction. Oh well guess it wouldnt matter as they lack the unnegotiable quotient.

Yeah, no shit. You don't generally get a "do over" with IEDs, and I'm convinced the guys that DID get that "do over" (broken wire on a pressure-plate, partial det on the HME, etc) were MORE fucked in the head than the guys who took a full blast.

Wow, thank guys like this for your freedom every single day. It sickens me to see some of the pieces of shit that walk the streets of our Country and that these guys are fighting and dying for. How about taking all criminals and sending them overseas instead of to jail where they get a free ride from us!

The 1st few days out having 10 of your guys go down, just sets you up straight - right now. I like the joking comment to get yall some relief for the moment. Scout Sniper is definitely the top of the valor pole.

Thank you for putting your life on the line for ALL OF US.

Snip 10,
I hear where you are coming from, but to fight for your country is an honor, not well served with criminals. Think about it? Do you want a bunch of dirtbags serving in combat? I know that Chesty Puller said "take the brig rats", but I strongly disagree.
Semper Fidelis,
Terry