• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition For the Houston FTR shooters

Re: For the Houston FTR shooters

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ray in Houston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well hey Guys.... looks like I just might be joining you in a couple of weeks... I just picked up a G. McMillian Palma rifle.. I shot XTC match's back in the early 80's up till 1986 and them got out of the sport.... Looking forward to shooting some 1000 yard... </div></div>

Excellent, we look forward to seeing you on December 2nd.

FYI.... Gen 2 Bipod shipped today from N. Fla.... UPS brought my NEW shooting mat to the house.... and ammo from S/W Ammo should be here in a couple of days... Next week range time... Week from this Sunday spent @ the mid course match.........I might break out my XTC Mod. 70 and set it up for Mid Course match's ONLY... 22" barrle.........Getting PUMPED...........

Well good for you. Now you have no excuses for not showing up at a match.

This coming Sunday is the final 1000 yard match of the year. Then next Sunday is an Across the Course match, I believe. The Sunday after that is the final Mid-Range match of the year and it's a 300 yard match. Not sure what you mean by mid-course match, but I think it's the Across the Course. Have fun.

DOH........... mid range,,,,,,,,,,,,see you Sunday... I'll be wareing a Buyou Shooters shirt........

This weekend, we give out the Club Championship Awards, plus there will be an added bonus after that award ceremony. Should be fun.

My ammo is loaded.

Say buddy.... I made the match and even talked to a couple of guys WE shot with 25 years ago.... We had to leave when the third relay was coming out of the pit's....... See you @ the 300 yard match...........

Big thanks to Denys who helped me make it through my first match. He assigned me to his target position so I could watch and learn. He put up with my bad target pulling / scoring.

Didn't expect 33 shooters, it was a crowd. And a typical Houston winter day of 82 degrees.

I only had 1 'X' all day but given the way the wind kept switching from side to side and back, I was happy to have my rounds in the black. Finished 175/173/175.

I don't normally shoot prone and it showed, glad I have Tylenol in the house! Learned a lot and hope to be back again soon.

Joe, you did just fine. Your target pulling will improve with practice. At Bayou, it's best to just simply watch the berm and observe the impact there. After a little while you will be able to figure out where the hit is on the target just by seeing the impact on the berm and that really helps find the hit on the target and speed up pit service.

Yes, there were a lot of people at the match yesterday; we had more first time competitors and out-of-town folks show up at one time than I have ever seen. It was great.

After the first match the wind just went wicked on us, but that's our typical south twitchy wind; it's famous for wreaking havoc with scores.

I sure hope you will come back and play with us again; I think you could be a fierce competitor with some experience and good ammo. Your bullets were barely supersonic at the target and some of them were definitely subsonic. It was interesting to notice the wide variations in sonic crack from shot to shot.

Denys, Thanks for a continued job WELL done and the extra effort involved for the end of year awards, that was cool.
Must try harder next year.
It was interesting with target 17 and 18 going subsonic. while 18 was still hitting ok, the crack was definitly not there and 17 was keyholing and bouncing off the berm. A challenging day it was.
2 friends shot their 1st long range that day and I am sure, unfortunatly for their significant others... they are hooked.
(one just needs to work on his premature um..discharges)

Joe

The math said I should have stayed supersonic but I don't doubt what you guys were experiencing in the pits. I may load for the .308 but I'm waiting on Stiller to send me my 300 win mag barreled action.

Of course, my shoulder was sore today from the .308, I'm guessing the win mag would make that a little worse.
eek.gif

WTF: Thanks Joe. I finished the "official" scores yesterday, they should be going out via email during the day today.

jiwilliams: 300 Win Mag? You're going over to the dark side (F-Open) now? You are going to play with guys like Marc Walker and their fancy-schamsy 7mm rifles? And here I thought you liked us F-TRashers.

Yeah, the math says one thing and the reality says something else. Who knew? Just remember, that in theory, everything works.

I have heard enough bullets going by at 1000 yards over the years to know when bullets are coming out of warp speed. Some of your shots were definitely subsonic, but the bullets were stable; no keyholes. There were a couple times when you guys had to call for a mark, and I had not heard the bullet. The impact of your bullets moved very little dirt and it was still damp, so it was hard to detect at times. I do remember a few of your shots were actually as loud as "normal" supersonic shots are, and it those cases, the hits were high on the target. As I said before the range of the hits was quite wide. I think you were shooting factory Federal GMM ammo, is that correct?

At any rate, I thought you did quite well in spite of the short barrel and the ammo. The wind was quite wicked for matches 2 and 3 and it got me several times.

On the second match after my third round for record came up an X, I detected in my spotting scope that the mirage had turned completely around and was now coming from the left just before I was going to shoot #4. The flags showed wind from the right but they were dropping. So, I said to myself "good catch, make sure to hold left of the target, the switch has just occured." So I held 3 lines to the left and broke the shot.

That's when you scored my shot as a 6, almost a 5, perfectly on the waterline a 9 o'clock. I had not shot a 6 for record in a few years.

My spotting scope was focused on the wrong distance and the wind that mattered was still going right to left and I detected the wrong mirage.

Just when you think you have it figured out...

Denys,

I'm still disgusted with myself for missing the match I was hoping to meet you at the 600yard prone match held last month, but i'll have to catch you another time.

When is the next 1,000yd match an or Feb?

I missed the match in part because i still have yet to develop a load around 208AMAX and my new preferred powder, AR-comp. I was afraid that my 175gr load w 40.6gr AR-comp would be subsonic at 1,000yards and i would get pulled off the line...however, from reading the exchange with Jiwillaims, it seems my fear was unfounded.

Were there many sling shooters on the line? I would have been shooting my M110 build with irons a la highpower.

Lastly, what barrel length and ammo was Jiwilliams shooting?

I heard you mention Federal GMM...the 175gr variety i suppose?

Ok Flyboy. Just so you know, I usually do not attend the mid-range matches. I have enough honeydos and daddydos to keep me busy every weekend; it's all I can do to get away for the LR matches.

The next LR match is on January 6th.

Joe's bullet were mostly (barely) supersonic and did not keyhole on the target the few times they came in silently. He kept them under control and was on paper for every shot; that's all I worried about.

We always have sling shooters and there were 8 this weekend.

I will let Joe answer your other questions, as I do not want to presume anything. I think I know the answers, but one can't judge ammo by the box cover; anything could be in there.

Yep.. factory 175gr, the Federal GM762M2 loading.

Here is the data sheet GM762M2

I ran the 175gr over a chronograph and got 2720 out of my barrel which seemed about right as I usually get 2770 out of the 168gr loading. (Federal claims 2600 for the 175 and 2650 for the 168 from a test barrel). My rifle has a 24" 11.27 twist Mike Rock barrel. Elevation matched my ballistic calculator which was 10 mils (360 inches)above my 100 yd zero.

I guess my next project will be to load something up that can go a little faster a little longer.

The datasheet to which you linked shows their advertised velocity to be 2600FPS. My 180gr bullets come out of my 32 inch barrel a little above 2800FPS using a near max load of Varget.

sorry Denys...my little 223 mouse gun just can't keep up with you any more.... i tried, but 80s@3000 just won't cut it against 180s@2800
frown.gif

Yeah, the conditions were really wicked with fast wind switches after match #1. It was like shooting in totally different conditions.

You're a great shot and if you do get a .308 you will do very well. If you want, next time you can borrow my other .308 F-TR rifle; I even have ammo loaded for it, plenty for a match.

jiwilliams,

How are you getting 120+ft/s faster than box velocity?

Those velocities were obtained from 24" test barrel.

I can understand a 20-40ft/s gain, but not 120ft/s...

If your rounds were subsonic, then perhaps your MV is not 2720ft/s afterall...

I hear you on the measured velocity versus published. I would just blame a bad chrono but in this case it was two separate chronos and two different days.

This <span style="font-style: italic">IS</span> a GAP built gun with a Rock barrel... They sprinkle magic pixie dust on them before they ship them out.... Ok, I can't prove that.

You are fitting right in with the other delusional competitors at Bayou Rifles. It's great to have you aboard.

I want to come out to the 300 yard match on Feb. 17, 2013 @ bayou rifles. Anyone have the match directors number? I have a few questions to ask.

Rob

Rob,
We have rotating match directors....what are the questions...i am sure we can answer them here

or just PM me

Snafubar,

I talked to Mark ( I think it was his name). He got me all sorted out.... This rain really puts a damper on me. Was hoping to get to the range in the morning and zero my new scope...... Looks like rain or shine for me in the morning, gotta get it zeroed for the 300 yards match in a few weeks. I do have a quick question...What bullet weight do most of the competitors shoot at 300 yards?

Rob

Rob,
It depends on what caliber you are shooting.
If you are shooting F-TR class (restricted to 223 or 308) most folks shoot 155g to 180g for 308, 62 to 80g for 223.
If you are shooting F-Open class (any other caliber) then there are a multitude of options....300y is not very far, so just find what shoots best in your rifle and come on out.

anyone have a physical address for bayou rifles? Or just directions will do.. I'll be coming from Houston down 288.

Thanks,
Rob

From 288 South
Turn right or west on County road 57
Once the pavement ends, the front gate of Bayou Rifles is the first right you can make...

Can't get much easier than that!

Good luck!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Walker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From 288 South
Turn right or west on County road 57
Once the pavement ends, the front gate of Bayou Rifles is the first right you can make...

Can't get much easier than that!

Good luck!! </div></div>

Thanks Mark!

What time do most people show up? I was thinking about getting there around 6:30 ish. Too early? or Too late?

Do you have to preregister for f-class events and do you have to be a member to compete?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: medium rare</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to preregister for f-class events and do you have to be a member to compete?</div></div>

I didnt pre-register, I do believe you can though. I'm showing up tomorrow and I'll sign up there. No, you do not have to be a member to compete.

Are you thinking about coming out? It will be my first time....sounds like so much fun!

Rob

there is no pre-registration....non members are welcome.
Sign-up closes promptly at 7:30
see yall there
smile.gif

SNAFUBAR did well today. He hit the target several times and won the match in F-TR. Well done, SNAFUBAR.

I also did not miss the target! LOL...... Had a blast and as soon as I left, I went and put a deposit down on a Savage 12 F/TR in .308( probably have it in a week or two). Selling the REM 700 LTR to fund the addiction. Cant wait to shoot the next match. I thought I could shoot all day, but man....my shoulder is a little tender tonight.
Thanks for all the help guys, I had a blast and learned a lot. Now if I can figure out the wind.............

Cheers,
Rob

I really wanted to find a LR solution in the Houston area a year (if not more) ago. Bayou site said the same thing then as it does now... No new members, waiting list.. Is it really that hard to get on out there?

Is it ok for non members to observe? If so, I think I'll try to drop in on a match to check it out. I've always wondered what the range is like outside of pictures.

Ouch! I'm in the hour drive time I guess as well. I'm right north of Denys.

There's another range in the Baytown area but they are not accepting members until the Oct. time frame from what I'm told. I'm on that list now. I've been watching Bayou for a year and it's always a waiting list so I had to look to alternatives as well and found this one. Web site is here.

L

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaboom nuggets</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really wanted to find a LR solution in the Houston area a year (if not more) ago. Bayou site said the same thing then as it does now... No new members, waiting list.. Is it really that hard to get on out there?

Is it ok for non members to observe? If so, I think I'll try to drop in on a match to check it out. I've always wondered what the range is like outside of pictures.

Ouch! I'm in the hour drive time I guess as well. I'm right north of Denys.</div></div>

You do not have to be a member to come shoot with us in matches, everyone is welcome. And we have people who come shoot with us who live a lot further from the range than I do. 1000 yard ranges are few and far between. The next match is March 3rd, it's a registered match and the following weekend is TSRA LR. (I get to drive a lot that weekend.)

Denys, is the 1000y range open on the weekends or only during the week?

Regards,
Layton

The 600-1000 yard range is behind a locked gate and only people who have qualified shooting at long range have the combination. On LR match days (usually Sundays) the gate is open and anyone can come shoot in the matches. If they are able to qualify and are members, they will be issued the super-secret combination to the gate so they can come shoot outside of competitions.

nice to meet you on Sunday, Denys. For the 600 and 1000 yard matches, do I need to qualify at those ranges before the match?

Oh, so YOU're scissorhands. Yes, nice to have met you. You qualify at the match. If you are able to get on target within 7 rounds and stay on target for the match, you are qualified for that distance and I make a note of it in my files, stamp your membership card accordingly and I can give you the super-secret squirrel gate code then and there.

Scissorhands

You did well for a first attempt at playing this game, tricky breeze and all. Also gotta commend you on the best newbie pit service Ever. Thanks for doing your homework so well. When you get the wind figured out......let the rest of us know, too. We'll be lookin' forward to shooting with you again.

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's another range in the Baytown area but they are not accepting members until the Oct. time frame from what I'm told. I'm on that list now. I've been watching Bayou for a year and it's always a waiting list so I had to look to alternatives as well and found this one. Web site is here.

L </div></div>

Thanks for the heads up

I know this is draging up an old thread, but are they shooting next weekend?

Sunday 03 Mar signup ends at 0730. Last chance to shoot at 1K before the TSRA Long Range Championship the following weekend unless you can make the sight-in day on Thurs, 07 Mar.

Paul

Paul,

Nice shooting with you at the last match. I'll probably show up and watch/learn/ask questions. Still waiting on my new rings and base for the new Savage. oh... and I'm out of SMK 175 gn bullets.......ARGHH....... Any Houston area guys have any bullets?

That's right, it is next week. I need to get the paperwork ready. I hope it's not too windy.