• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? for the model 70 fans.

prodigalson

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2012
Butler, PA
If I were wanting to build a long action magnum rifle, is there any pros or cons when it comes to selecting between a CRF model 70 and a PF model 70? Thanks.

I have owned push feed M70 30-06 rifles in both target and hunting configurations and have never had any issues.

I have heard that pf can be more accurate from my gunsmith. Not really sure why though. I have a crf and love mine

I have a CRF in S/A for a 6.5 x 47 Lapua, and a CRF in L/A for a .338-06, I know I'll not ever have to worry about extraction issues, but then again you probably wouldn't with a push feed either. If you're going to hunt dangerous game with your rifle while hanging upside down from a tree opt for the CRF.

He's wrong or he is lying. He probably doesn't know how to true up/accurize CRF rifles, or know but does not like to do the work.

Have to admit, I've never heard that before either. But I wouldn't know one way or the other. I will offer to the OP that FN's SPR A3g, which is their approved FBI bolt rifle, is CRF Model 70. They guarantee 1/2 MOA or better for 10,000 rounds.

Mine has a test target of .315.

CRF.

In the end, it's whatever floats your boat.

For me, Model 70, I always would choose CRF. But that's me.

TTR

I have a CRF Model 70 but to tell the truth when I had McBros build it many years ago I didn't know that there was a differance. I do know that if you look at a McBros/McMillan G30 CRF action it's definately based on the Model 70 CRF action. I'm not a builder but if Gale McMillan designed a CRF type action then I'd think there must be something to it ...

ETA: I was just looking at McMillan's site and they also make the G30 in a push feed version. They have the specs for both actions that give good descriptions of the differances between CRF and PF ...

Last edited:
It seems like people prefer the CRF action by strongly associating it (mentally) with the pre-'64 M70. By all accounts the pre-'64 was machined better and probably had some better metalurgical qualities than the more ecnomically (efficiently?) manufactured later models but that doesn't apply as much anymore owing to efficient, high quality machining and excellent metalurgical standard enforcement.

I have one thing which I believe recommends the PF action (in general) over the CRF and that is single loading options and ease of loading from a detachable mag. Granted, properly setup guns will work well all the time.

In a theoretical sense the tendency for PF guns to have a more fully encapsulating bolt/breach/case head relationship than their CRF siblings is an advantage as well. However, this presumes very bad loading practices or barrel obstructions which would inspire pressures sufficient to blow a case head out--which is a lot.

The point about CRF advantages on dangerous game guns cannot be understated though--despite my PF preference, I would still opt for a CRF on such a rifle.

I have a CRF Model 70 but to tell the truth when I had McBros build it many years ago I didn't know that there was a differance. I do know that if you look at a McBros/McMillan G30 CRF action it's definately based on the Model 70 CRF action. I'm not a builder but if Gale McMillan designed a CRF type action then I'd think there must be something to it ...

ETA: I was just looking at McMillan's site and they also make the G30 in a push feed version. They have the specs for both actions that give good descriptions of the differances between CRF and PF ...

That G30CRF is reminiscent of the Winchester M70 CRPF, which are essentially PF actions with the bottom of the boltface machined away to allow the cartridge rim to ride up under the extractor, coming out of the magazine. I think Savage did a similar setup on their M110CRF's.

This is all great info. Albeit, some I don't understand, but still interesting. To clear things up a tad, I won't be hunting dangerous game with this rifle. I am planning my next build, and I want to get into ELR shooting. Probably a 7 Rem Mag, and definitely a model 70, that is why I ask if there is a big difference between the two types. Currently there are both types available at one of my local shops, both in long action magnum. Mainly I was looking for reasons to convince myself of one over the other.

All my Winchesters have and will have the CRF Claw. Just my personal preference. Was raised on Winchesters and its just kinda stuck.

Mainly I was looking for reasons to convince myself of one over the other.

I think the most notable difference could be the trigger. If it's a more recently produced CRF model it probably has the M.O.A. trigger which I would avoid, only because the older style has such a stellar reputation. FN kept the older style trigger for their SPR which to me is a little suspect. There was a period where the CRF models were made with the older style trigger, they were usually had the word "classic" somewhere in their model name.

CRF models feed best from the magazine, but you can drop a round into the chamber and the extractor will snap over the rim. I prefer the fixed ejector of the CRF models. The CRF models have much better resale and usually cost a bit more than their PF counterparts. Both can use the same scope bases, bottom metal, and stocks. It may cost slightly more to re-barrel a CRF model.

I would always choose a CRF model over a PF one, as long as they have the same trigger. But I think both actions have the same potential where it matters with regards to precision shooting.

As said above push feed rifles seem to cost a little less.
I've owned a push feed Model 70 for over 30 years and it has been very reliable and quite accurate.

Last edited: