• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those who have done OCW testing

Slim Chance

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2014
Adairsville, Ga
I have noticed a trend in several calibers for an excellent shooting load to be found at a half to full grain under published maximum. I did not start out looking for this result, but it seems to crop up a lot. My question then, is this: Does anyone notice with the OCW method? I previously assumed this was related to either peak pressure or consistency in pressure until I started reading about nodes.

Being far from any sort of expert on the subject, I will say that the 3 different rifles I worked up loads for using OCW, I was actually over listed max. So therefore I agree that there must be a node we stumble upon. Using Varget for my .308 bolt gun I ended up over max listed but just under a compressed load. For my AR and .233 bolt gun using H335, I ended up over as well, but just slightly. Never did run into any pressure issues, but found some sweet shootin' loads!

I don't often chronograph my rifle ammo. I know some of you gasped at that. Most of my shots are 200 yards and under due to geography and terrain. I also find a great deal of satisfaction in chasing ever smaller groups at 100 yards. Node? Load density? Maybe both, or maybe the innate perversity of the universe.

I've seen exactly what the OP described. My most accurate loads come in just under max and when performing an OCW test I generally get 2 nodes, one low charge weight load, one high charge weight load. I always go with the high charge weight load.

I've always started my load development at 1.5grains under max and run my first ladder on a barrel with .1gn increments up to max. This was what my dad told me to do 20 years ago when I started rolling my own and it's been the single best advice I've gotten on the matter. I uniformly get the same kind of results with every new barrel. Somewhere between .5 under max and 1 under max nets the best group and I end up with 2 or 3 loads that are good for further development. That's just picking and delivering a powder charge though which is only the tiniest part of load development.

Just like the OP, I am seeing the same thing in my load development. So far my best loads are coming in a little under max.