• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

? for those who have used the M9 in the Desert

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
What is the best mags for the Beretta, I want the best "sand proof" mags I can get? Don't really care about the price. I want the BEST.

Re: ? for those who have used the M9 in the Desert

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the best mags for the Beretta, I want the best "sand proof" mags I can get? Don't really care about the price. I want the BEST. </div></div>

Whats wrong with the stock ones?

I was stationed in Twentynine Palms, CA (Mojave Desert) and I never had an issue with the stock magazines that were issued with the weapon. Nor did I ever hear of anyone else having a problem with them.

I took factory Beretta mags with me... factory mags are fine, it's the contract mags that the Army issues that suck ass

Ditto. Don't use issued mags, buy some factory mags and you'll be good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats wrong with the stock ones?</div></div>

Don't know, that's why I'm asking. Never fired a M9.

The thing is when the M9s came out I was in the guard, and being a stubborn cuss I refused to give up my 1911a1 and I was in the position where no one would question me.

So now I'm going to "never never land" and need to qualify and carry a M9. I've heard about problems with the mags so that's why I'm asking.

One thing that helps with any mag is taking them apart and cleaning them, then use some kinda dry lube on the inside and follower.

HK usp was to replace 1911.
Less parts, and strip easy in the dark.
XD 40 was easy too.

Never truly tested M-9's.

Stuff that needs to be clean is either open or closed.
Would rather keep clean, than have to.

See what I can find out about the mags.

If you have the chance.....

Get the Beretta mags that say "Beretta" on them. They should be the ones with the plastic wedge shaped butt on them. The ones w/ the metal butt have a tendency to "grenade" given certain circumstances.

The biggest problem is w/ spring tension. Load 3 rounds and hold it in the position of function and smack it down on the palm of your other hand. If it sh!t's or jumbles the rounds, toss it for another one. Spring rebuild kits are good fixes for this.

Clean is good, oil is bad, canned air is your friend.

Walking around in the rear / chow hall / HQ etc. you will be required to have your sidearm but will not be allowed to be in condition 1 or have a magazine (empty or full or training (blue)) inserted. See the line above. Lanyards may or may not be required, GET ONE!!! You can tie off a bit of 550 cord and attach a bit of rag. With a little futzing you can get it so that the rag will be in the butt of the pistol but if you draw and bring it around to feed it, the 550 cord on the telephone line (Blackhawk type lanyard) will pull the rag out.

Just some remembrances.

Cheers,

Doc

OBTW, stay safe!

I have two ITALIAN made mags for the Beretta, and I have about a dozen military mags.

The Italian mags are painted or powdercoated and are a FINE FINE magazine.

But the Beretta factory mags made in USA are just as good.

Never had any issues but I do know the military mags are not painted and a bit stickier...

the beretta elite mags have a small cutout near the bottom so sand and grit and fall or be shaken out of them

Used both factory and after market mags, never had problems with either, on the other hand bring lots of spare parts, espically the little springs....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> bring lots of spare parts, espically the little springs</div></div>

What parts, what springs.

By the way, my concern of qualifying with the Beretta went out the window. Like I said, I never fired on so I want out and bought a 92 FS, shot the heck out of it and found its about the easiest gun to shoot I've ever shot. (Hope my 1911s don't bite me for saying that). Even shot some junk cast bullet loads which went off without a hitch.

So what springs should I get?

Kraig,

I've shot LOTS of 92s and M9s -- I've shot them a lot, I shoot them well, and I still don't like nor trust them.

I have a Dave Sams bullseye-tricked Brigadier strictly for the National Match Course and EIC matches.

I would find some good commercial <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000099">polished blue</span></span> Italian Beretta mags (or whoever made their OEM magazines) and send them to Robbie Barkmann down in Arizona to have them NP3 coated. I suppose Ion-Bond does the same thing -- I don't know for sure.

AVOID LIKE HELL any parkerized GI magazines you may run across or get issued. Uncle Sam specified parkerizing for a while and those magazines are ABSOLUTELY USELESS -- YOU RISK A STOPPAGE AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME, ESPECIALLY IN SANDY/DUSTY/GRITTY AREAS.

I shot them because they were issued guns, not for any preference. I bought one to practice the All-Army and AFSAM/Wilson combat-format, and traded it off as soon as I retired and was no longer able to compete in uniformed-class.

Good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kraig,

I've shot LOTS of 92s and M9s -- I've shot them a lot, I shoot them well, and I still don't like nor trust them.

I have a Dave Sams bullseye-tricked Brigadier strictly for the National Match Course and EIC matches.

I would find some good commercial <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #000099">polished blue</span></span> Italian Beretta mags (or whoever made their OEM magazines) and send them to Robbie Barkmann down in Arizona to have them NP3 coated. I suppose Ion-Bond does the same thing -- I don't know for sure.

AVOID LIKE HELL any parkerized GI magazines you may run across or get issued. Uncle Sam specified parkerizing for a while and those magazines are ABSOLUTELY USELESS -- YOU RISK A STOPPAGE AT THE WORST POSSIBLE TIME, ESPECIALLY IN SANDY/DUSTY/GRITTY AREAS.

I shot them because they were issued guns, not for any preference. I bought one to practice the All-Army and AFSAM/Wilson combat-format, and traded it off as soon as I retired and was no longer able to compete in uniformed-class.

Good luck to you.
</div></div>

Have you ever gotten the parkerized one's finished in a polished blue? I have a bunch and wondered if it would help them.

As I mentioned above, I came across two italian made mags during the Klinton era, some guy on e-bay missspelled Beretta and I went looking for that - gave $15 for both of them, during the ban...and I still kept those two even after I sold hte 92F. I have a Brigadier now as well, damn good pistol, stainless slide...

Thanks, got them ordered. Don't know if I'll need 'em, but I'll have them.

It would have been a lot simpler if I could take a 1911a1. Didn't need all those spares for that sucker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">trigger bar spring is the spring you MIGHT want to carry a spare of </div></div> +1 for extras of those, personally had one break on me first day in country, good thing we hadn't moved out to our fob yet

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eric0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">trigger bar spring is the spring you MIGHT want to carry a spare of </div></div> +1 for extras of those, personally had one break on me first day in country, good thing we hadn't moved out to our fob yet </div></div>

I forgot about that little bastard, it will bring your weapon to a total STOP. If that isn't bad enough when you open the slide and look down in the mag well you can see it (on the left side IIRC).

Cheers,

Doc

Right side actually and yes, it can be a pain. Downed my M9 once during a school.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, got them ordered. Don't know if I'll need 'em, but I'll have them.

It would have been a lot simpler if I could take a 1911a1. Didn't need all those spares for that sucker.</div></div> You may find bringing/mailing your own mags overseas isn't always feasible.

I've had 2 packages of mags seized by Army postal workers scanning mail...they actually sent a nasty-gram to the fella that sent them to me
shocked.gif

If you try to fly with them....you'll find really quickly that you are unpopular in Jordan or Dubai.

Just use the ones they issue you and clean them occasionally.