• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those who use IMPERIAL wax

If you dip the case (neck down) into the wax ~1/16", there will be sufficient lube inside the neck, and also enough on the outside to spread over the rest of the case with your fingers.

My only grief with the product is how quickly the media in the tumbler gets saturated with wax, thus requiring more frequent changes. I've gone back to using Lee case lube.

If you dip the case (neck down) into the wax ~1/16", there will be sufficient lube inside the neck, and also enough on the outside to spread over the rest of the case with your fingers.

My only grief with the product is how quickly the media in the tumbler gets saturated with wax, thus requiring more frequent changes. I've gone back to using Lee case lube.

Not trying to be an ass here but, it's no wonder your media gets saturated with dipping, or putting that much of it on each case. Every fifth one with a quick swipe will usually work around here.
But like you, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff either, but you have to have it around.

I don't lube the inside of the necks since I use bushing dies without an expander ball. Makes neck lube unnecessary.

Not trying to be an ass here but, it's no wonder your media gets saturated with dipping, or putting that much of it on each case. Every fifth one with a quick swipe will usually work around here.
But like you, I'm not a huge fan of the stuff either, but you have to have it around.

It's not as much as it sounds like, as very little actually sticks to the inside or outside of the case. It's not like the case mouth is clogged full of wax. But still, my method might be excessive.

i use the rcbs brass prep station........really handy.............. deburr,chambfer,clean primer pockets,brush inside of neck then use a mop lubed with imperial................

What's all this nasa shit? Is there some joke in another section on here I'm missing or something?

I'm a non-conformist. I don't even own a can of Imperial.

Recently started using Hornady One-Shot Case Lube. A quick spray of the loading block filled with cases at a 45 degree (or so) down angle. One spray up one side, one down the other, then let them dry. No more sticky cases, chattering expander (When I use one) and the lube doesn't have to be removed before loading.

Doesn't foul my cleaning media either. But then that's stainless steel pins so nothing fouls it :)

To answer the OP, a little lube on a q-tip, quickly swirled in the top of the case mouth opening is more than enough. When I used to use Hornady Unique, I'd rub some of it into a q-tip and it would do the job for 25 or so cases before I had to refresh it.

What's all this nasa shit? Is there some joke in another section on here I'm missing or something?
It's more a personal thing. My wife uses it on me when she thinks I'm getting a little too smart for my own good. I threw it out there for you stating the obvious.
But I will warn you, run some new unprepped brass into that bushing and you might have a bigger mess tham you care to contend with.

I bought a pint can of Motor Medic in 1976. It's dry mica powder. Just dip the case neck on about every fifth case.
Amazon has small bags of mica powder
If you are sizing the case neck way down by using a stock die you will see the need to lube the expander ball more than if you use a bushing die and control the neck reduction.

I've not purchased any new brass yet. However, it is my understanding that high end new brass, like lapua, does not require sizing before loading.... ??

I didn't know I had to lube the inside of the necks. I don't. I load 300 WSM - 257 Weatherby Mag. - 6.8 SPC - 308 win and 6.5 Creedmoor.
Am I doing it wrong???

I just put a little denatured alcohol in the top of the tumbler when I load it with sized rounds. I have been using the same media since I started, and it has over 10,000 rounds through it. I just started putting some polish in with the media for the un-sized ones recently.

Edit: I should mention I use walnut shell media for everything so far.

I just put a little denatured alcohol in the top of the tumbler when I load it with sized rounds. I have been using the same media since I started, and it has over 10,000 rounds through it. I just started putting some polish in with the media for the un-sized ones recently.

Edit: I should mention I use walnut shell media for everything so far.

You can get a 40 lb bag of corncob from Grainger pretty cheap. A bag last a long time.

You can get a 40 lb bag of corncob from Grainger pretty cheap. A bag last a long time.

Thanks, Eddie. I have 7lbs of corn cob media that I haven't tried yet. I also saw some one said you could get walnut shell at the pet store, cheap. I have been happy with the walnut shell for the last year, and thought I might try the corn-cob to see if I like it. I want to go the SS-Route, but I can't seem to budget the money for it while I have a workable solution now. I may get a second vibratory tumbler and use one for walnut and one for corn cob for the time being.

this is what I do... the first and about every 20 ill take a q-tip with wax on it to keep the de-primer / head lubed up and from pulling your brass back out.... then I clean all of the brass in water / soap / lemi-shine / stainless steel pin tumbler set up and it gets rid of all wax when it comes to brass prep and dropping powder. just another reason why SS / tumbler brass cleaning method kicks ass.

clean dirty brass just enough with water / soap (can tumble if you want, but it is just another step),,, just enough to spray with lube (air hose comes in handy here for fast dry time).... i'll actually dump all of my brass in a huge popcorn bowl, spray down with lube with some wax in my palm, work the brass with my fingers to cover all of the brass with spray / wax lube, and when time comes to size / de-prime with a q-tip / wax ill do the first and about every 20 or so..... clean in tumbler with SS pins / dish soap / lemi-shine for about 2 to 3 hours.... done.

ive even been reading how some guys don't even use lube anymore and actually use dish soap, which serves to clean the brass when using water / SS media / tumbler set up... if you're not using SS media / tumbler, then you're missing out.... why use any other method, when you never need to purchase media ever again... ever..... ever ever ever? never ever. LOL no more media purchase, primer pockets all clean and done (no friggen primer pocket prep as the SS pins do the work for you!).. A HUGE $1 bottle of concentrated dish soap from the dollar store goes a LONGGGG ways.

I lube up the first and 20th or so using a cotton swab.

Last edited:
this is what I do... the first and about every 20 ill take a q-tip with wax on it to keep the de-primer / head lubed up and from pulling your brass back out.... then I clean all of the brass in water / soap / lemi-shine / stainless steel pin tumbler set up and it gets rid of all wax when it comes to brass prep and dropping powder. just another reason why SS / tumbler brass cleaning method kicks ass.

i'll actually dump all of my dirty brass in a huge popcorn bowl, spray down with lube with some wax in my palm, work the brass with my fingers to cover all of the brass with spray / wax lube, and when time comes to size / de-prime with a q-tip / wax ill do the first and about every 20 or so..... clean in tumbler with SS pins / dish soap / lemi-shine for about 2 to 3 hours.... done.

ive even been reading how some guys don't even use lube anymore and actually use dish soap, which serves to clean the brass with using water / SS media / tumbler set up... if you're not using SS media / tumbler, then you're missing out.

Wait, what?

You actually spent the money to get a SS tumber, and go on about how it kicks ass, and then in the very next sentence you tell us all how you run dirty brass through your dies? /methinks you have your priorities mixed up...

lol,,, I wash all the dirty brass down with water first.. sorry... forgot that step... its going right into the tumbler with water once its done being sized so it doesn't matter... and yes, it kicks ass.... no harm no foul to my dies... the money you invest in the tumbler and SS media will come back ten fold due to no more media you need to purchase.

Wait, what?

You actually spent the money to get a SS tumber, and go on about how it kicks ass, and then in the very next sentence you tell us all how you run dirty brass through your dies? /methinks you have your priorities mixed up...

Last edited: