• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

For those with experience....

Alabusa

Learning
Minuteman
  • Jan 1, 2018
    Muscle Shoals, Alabama
    What does a can do to accuracy of a rifle? Does it improve or reduce muzzle velocity?

Just wondering if a can will be shooting myself in the foot. I have never owned one of any kind. Thanks for your consideration.

It will depend on your set up as to what affects, if any, a can will make. I have no POI shift with or without a can on my CZ 455 varmint barrel but my buddy with his T-Bolt has to come up 2 clicks and left 2 clicks when he puts his can on. It can affect your barrel harmonics but the joy of hearing click ding is worth it.

Reactions: Alabusa
    It varies from Ammo type to Ammo type and suppressor to suppressor so you have to test and test. It DOES make you smile and mess with your cheek weld.

Thanks guys. Have a local dealer that happens to be an indoor range as well. I can shoot the can while it is in jail on their range. Looking at the SilencerCo Sparrow.

Depends on ammo, caliber, barrel length etc. most will have some poi shift as you are adding a nominal amount of FPS.

More likely than not you will have some POI shift but it should always be predictable once you determine what it is, but it's totally worth it. Shooting with a suppressor in general is nice but with subsonic RF it's really cool. The sound of the action then pffft then CLANG. Even hunting is better, the sound of an Eley sub HP hitting squirrel meat is WAY louder than the shot. Grins everywhere.

Y'all have talked me into the investment. Time to put a can in jail.

Fair warning they can be addictive. I started with a rimfire can and now have 3 cans and am thinking of getting a couple more. I enjoy them all. Do your research and ask questions over in the suppressor forum. There are lots of good cans out now you just need to pick what features you want.

The main thing to know about rimfire and cans is that the ammo is filthy, no matter what your buying. The can needs to be constructed in such a way as to keep the fouling away from the outer sleeve so it can be easily disassembled even when very dirty. The first one that comes to mind (just as an example) is the Silencerco Sparrow with the two "clam shell" covers for the monocore baffle. Most rimfire cans these days are made that way, some of the older monocore cans that were just slipped inside a tube were basically welded together after a couple of bricks fired.

I currently have a Sparrow and a Spectre II, don’t get the Sparrow. Just ordered a TBAC TD22 for the new Vudoo, the dead air was a close second for me.

I've got a Surefire Ryder SS that I use on a bull barrelled cz 22lr with no discernible change in POI. I also use it on a Ruger Am. Rimfire in 22mag and find minimal POI change on that gun as well. The big thing is to buy a quality can and make sure your threading is done concenctric to the bore.

Here are some pics to give people and idea of my experience with the TBAC 22S-1. I was testing high-velocity ammo for a "rat hunt". Note that in my case the POI shifted up and with some ammo the precision increased with others it was worse - YMMV:

Moral of the story you have to test and I echo @Hoser comments about the new take-down TBAC .22 suppressor. It is nice to be able to clean them out. After many 1,000's of rounds through my TBAC, the accuracy has fallen off to the point that I no longer use it for matches.

That being said, the TBAC worked really well in 2015 when I shot these groups at 50 and 100 yards (you will note that the gun, ammo and suppressor shoots better than I do ... ):

Last edited:
    Sorry about that. Here is the test of the match ammo that I mentioned above - stupid photobucket:

The target on the left was shot at 50 yards and then moved out to 100 and shot again (note the drop between 50 and 100 ...) the others on the right were shot at 50 through the TBAC. The first shot on the upper right target was high the rest through the same hole. Was it me or was it the dreaded first round pop?

My experience is that if you are worried about accuracy/precision, you have a better chance of it working out with the TBAC cans ...

Last edited:
    Moral of the story you have to test and I echo @Hoser comments about the new take-down TBAC .22 suppressor. It is nice to be able to clean them out. After many 1,000's of rounds through my TBAC, the accuracy has fallen off to the point that I no longer use it for matches.
    The accuracy of the rifle or the suppressor fell off?

Accuracy of the rifle is spot on ... today it holds sub 1/2 MOA between 50 and 200 yards (w Eley). With Sk+ the gun holds sub 1/2 MOA at 50 and Sub 1 MOA at 200.

It can't do that anymore with the suppressor installed. I have between 8 and 10,000 rounds though the TBAC so I ass-u-me that carbon build-up has affected the accuracy of the suppressor.

I went with the Surefire Ryder ss as it is rated for 22mag etc. It takes down very easily. I run it through a sonic cleaner with simple green about every 6-800 rounds and give it a decent scrubbing to about 90% clean.
    I haven't noticed any change in accuracy or effective sound suppression and it's easily got 10k rounds through it. Probably 10-15K 22lr through it and another 1K 22mag through it.
    I've found that a 3/4" fitting brush works great for cleaning BTW

I have between 8 and 10,000 rounds though the TBAC so I ass-u-me that carbon build-up has affected the accuracy of the suppressor.

@300ATT Have you cleaned the can? You make it sound like you've put 10k rounds through it without cleaning it. If that is the case I'd love to see pics of it disassembled before cleaning. It would be like a lead fishing weight.

To the OP, My CZ455 16.5" shoots smaller groups with a sico SpectreII on it, POI shift approx 1/2" at 8 oclock at 50 yards. Anschutz 1712 SS 18" sporter profile DEad air mask POI shift .8" at 3 oclock at 50 yards, group size stays same if can used or can-less. Vudoo 18" kukri with sico sparrow, no change in group size or POI that I can detect, but have recently removed all cans off match 22 bolt rifles due to dumping of debris back into chamber/bolt face when racking rifle vertically after shot strings.

The TBAC 22s-1 cannot be disassembled without a cutoff wheel. It is heavier than when I purchased it and definitely needs a really good cleaning but I have been using it on my pistols and haven’t bothered. Still makes me smile ...

Last edited:
    The TBAC 22s-1 cannot be disassembled without a cutoff wheel. It is heavier than when I purchased it and definitely needs a really good cleaning. Have been using it on my pistols. Still makes me smile.
    I don't want to speak out of line but I'm pretty sure TBAC will clean it for you. Maybe ask @Zak Smith to confirm but I think that's something they can do.

Reactions: -Claybuster-
    @NateVA no worries. This is not a TBAC issue and I am not disparaging them. This is just a "round-to-it" issue on my part. I have heard that TBAC offers one free cleaning/year and will give them a shout.

That being said, if I could do it over I would go with the newer TBAC take down .22 suppressor.

Shooting suppressed is a "slippery slope" (very addicting) and one needs to be very careful as once you start it is hard to shoot without them and hard not to ridicule those that show up without them let alone hate on shooters that show up with muzzle breaks.

You have all been warned ...

My only complaint with suppressors is when used on gas guns. The amount of crud in the blow back is unreal and really adds to the amount of cleaning you have to do. They're still awesome, just a pain to clean up after.