• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For those with short barrels..

hot loads B==D - - -
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2011
Houston, TX
I've asked this on another forum and received limited response. For those that have shorter barrels, are you measuring it from the front of the recoil lug to the crown or are you measuring from bolt face to the crown?
I'm getting my build parts together and want to go 22" in length. I'm not 100% which measuring method would be more appropriate.
GA Precision for example..On the Crusader it states 23" (22" from front of lug) while the FBI HRT says just 22".

Re: For those with short barrels..

I consider the barrel length the actual length of the rifling and would not include the chamber. How ever I would be intrested in how some of the high end smiths do it as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jbell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I consider the barrel length the actual length of the rifling and would not include the chamber. How ever I would be intrested in how some of the high end smiths do it as well. </div></div>

That's what I thought as well. In my mind I was thinking 24" would technically be a 22" barrel. IIRC the case length for .308 is 2" long right? I'm making a leap from 5.56 to .308 so I don't have anything in front of me.

I have always measured from the gas port on a Remington 700 or Winchester 70, it gives me the stated factory length.

ATF measures from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. Most other folks do so as well.

HTH,
DocB

The "real" way to do it is to measure from the bolt face to the muzzle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DocB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">021411,

ATF measures from the bolt face to the end of the barrel. Most other folks do so as well.

HTH,
DocB </div></div>

Thanks. I just wanted to be clear on the "usable" barrel length when it came down to picking an actual size. 22" but from where? ATF standards or rifling length.. I know I'm making it harder than it is but I just want to be clear for my knowledge since I've seen measurements for builds indicating both methods in the example of the GAP rifles.

Bolt face to crown, just the way jbell's 26" TRG barrel is measured.

I have heard of both ways being used / quoted by highly respected smiths. I always like to confirm the measurement method

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 021411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting my build parts together and want to go 22" in length. I'm not 100% which measuring method would be more appropriate. </div></div>Just decide how much rifling you want, and specify the barrel length that way. It will result in an extra 2" when measured to the bolt face.

Realistically what are we looking at as far as velocity on a 22" barrel comparing a bolt face to crown measurement versus 22" from lug to crown? 20-40 fps difference?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 021411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Realistically what are we looking at as far as velocity on a 22" barrel comparing a bolt face to crown measurement versus 22" from lug to crown? 20-40 fps difference? </div></div>It depends.

I'm not hand loading. For sake of discussion I'll be using off the shelf FGMM 175gr SMK. Same barrel (5R, 11.25)..cut two different methods.

When the same exact load is fired in my factory 20" vs my factory 26" barrel I am 90 to 100 fps faster in the longer barrel. (This is with a 308) My custom that has a rock creek 21.75" barrel (bolt face to crown) is at the same velocity as the 26" factory and sometimes slightly faster depending on the bullet weight being compared. This is a guess but... 22 vs 23 inches on a 308 in a custom tube should be somewhere 10-15 fps faster.

But Graham is right, it depends. Some barrels are faster and/or slower than others and the difference could easily be a wash.

You'll never know what kind of velocity to expect until you run through a chronograph. I have a 18" 308 that shoots 2610, my friends 20" 2620, and another friends 20" that shoots 2560 all with the exact same load.

Thanks again for the replies. Yeah I guess it has to come down to actually chrono'ing the rifle when it's done.
Maybe I should start reloading and work up some loads.

I use the bolt face to crown. Remember some barrels are faster than others. The best thing you can do is talk to your smith on what you want or put it in the notes when sending in your parts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pavementends</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So as the throat wears the barrel is considered shorter?</div></div>

I would not think so. It would be if you had your tube set back to get rid of that wear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 021411</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe I should start reloading and work up some loads.
</div></div>

WINNER!