• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s For you Apollo 11 geeks... it's like Christmas!

sirhrmechanic

Command Sgt. Major
Minuteman
In case folks missed it... Tuesday is the 50th Anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. And there are a ton of good documentaries and shows in... and NASA TV is just loaded with really neat documentaries, lectures, films, etc.

I was too young to remember Apollo 11... just four. But I distinctly remember seeing one of the last landings on the TV at a friend's house... 1972 or so. And absolutely remember Apollo-Soyuz and Skylab because we got the TV's wheeled into class in elementary school to see them. (Always the best feeling when the teacher rolled in that big TV!)

For those of us who are space nerds, this is going to be a really interesting week!

How many here 'did' watch the Apollo 11 launch or the moon landing?

Cheers,

Sirhr

Listened to Sputnik on the wireless and watched it passing overhead. Watched everything to do with the Lunar missions. Skylab was of particular interest as we were close to the predicted impact zone, NASA copped a $400 fine for littering from the local council...

I was 5 and remember watching it intently on a black and white TV with poor reception. After the monumental broadcast I went and cleaned out my toy box to make it into a “space module” to simulate what I had witnessed. Cool stuff then and now. Those guys were studs as there were no guarantees. Strap into a V and let the big dogs eat.

I was too young for the Apollo missions (born 74). I’ve been watching the documentaries all week though. It’s staggering what those guys achieved 50 years ago with less computing power than a pocket calculator now.

I think I read somewhere that the pilots knew it was about a 50/50 chance of a successful return but still went anyway. My favourite part was the switch breaking on the console when they were about to launch off the moon. NASA spent 22 hours working the problem and Aldrin just solved it by shoving a pen into the hole and flicking the switch.

Balls, pioneering spirit and an amazing outcome. Why haven’t we gone to Mars yet with the technology available today?

Reactions: Idaho-5R
In case folks missed it... Tuesday is the 50th Anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. And there are a ton of good documentaries and shows in... and NASA TV is just loaded with really neat documentaries, lectures, films, etc.

I was too young to remember Apollo 11... just four. But I distinctly remember seeing one of the last landings on the TV at a friend's house... 1972 or so. And absolutely remember Apollo-Soyuz and Skylab because we got the TV's wheeled into class in elementary school to see them. (Always the best feeling when the teacher rolled in that big TV!)

For those of us who are space nerds, this is going to be a really interesting week!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Born in '56......watched all of them. Everything. Magical time back then. (y) (y) (y)

Born in '56......watched all of them. Everything. Magical time back then. (y) (y) (y)

It was a magical year. After the landing, I later took my telescope out to see if I could spot the lunar module. Not enough magnification. Sometime after the landing, my Dad brought home a model. I spent hours assembling it and made countless landings. I even re-entered earth's atmosphere; made a parachute from a bedsheet and jumped from the roof. Landing was a bit abrupt and the aftermath when Mom got home was epic.

That was also the year I learned sex consisted of more than just playing doctor.
Young.jpg

I watched the moon landing at my girlfriend's birthday party on a Sunday afternoon. It was a few weeks before I was to ship off to Navy boot camp.

It was a good party, with a swimming pool and dancing in a room that had a strobe light her dad made. It was a piece of plywood with a hole in it attached to a motor and mounted in front of a light bulb. Everything stopped in the afternoon and we huddled around the TV to watch the landing. Later that night, the other guests had all left, and I watched the spacemen get out of the spaceship with my GF and her family. It's one of those things that's burned into my memory.

I visited the Parkes tracking station shortly after the landing and met many of those people involved.

Aussie stars reached for the moon
They are the Australian heroes of the 1969 moon landing; staff at our tracking stations who were a vital part of the Apollo mission.
By CHRIS GRIFFITH
David Cooke, now 87, at the CSIRO radio telescope outside Parkes, western NSW. He was the receiver engineer at Parkes during the Apollo 11 mission. Picture: Britta Campion
David Cooke, now 87, at the CSIRO radio telescope outside Parkes, western NSW. He was the receiver engineer at Parkes during the Apollo 11 mission. Picture: Britta Campion
They are the Australian heroes of the 1969 moon landing.
Fifty years ago this month, the men and women who staffed the Parkes, Honeysuckle Creek and Tidbinbilla tracking stations sourced the weak, fragile radio feed emanating from the Apollo 11 Lunar Module on the moon’s surface, and brought the telecasts of man’s first footsteps on an alien body to hundreds of millions around the world.
They also monitored the radio data carrying information about the performance of the Lunar Module and Command Module orbiting the moon, and the astronauts’ health. Sadly, the ranks are thinning of astronomers, physicists, engineers and technicians who worked at those stations. Only around half the astronauts who flew to the moon are alive.
READ NEXT
Nevertheless the 50th anniversary celebration shapes as a chance for amazing stories to be exchanged. Parkes Observatory is holding open days on July 20 and 21, and some staff from the Apollo 11 days will be there, along with mission experts.
Staff at the Parkes telescope at the time of the moon landing. Picture: CSIRO.Staff at the Parkes telescope at the time of the moon landing. Picture: CSIRO.
Parkes radio engineer David Cooke, 87, this week spoke of the intricate planning that took place months before the mission, and the amazing judgment of then director John Bolton to keep the Parkes dish operating during the lunar telecast, despite wind gusts of up to 110km/hr when the dish’s safety rating was 40km/hr. It could have come crashing down on them, but it didn’t.
They were the worst wind gusts that Parkes had experienced since its opening and occurred as the station was readying to relay Apollo 11’s signal to the world. Mr Cooke said the dish was at its most vulnerable angle, on its side, pointing at the horizon as the moon rose.
The storm over Australia can be seen on a photo of Earth taken from the moon by Aldrin.
Parkes radio engineer David Cooke helped beam the lunar vision to the world. Picture: Parkes Observatory.Parkes radio engineer David Cooke helped beam the lunar vision to the world. Picture: Parkes Observatory.
Mr Bolton could have taken Parkes offline to protect its dish, as Honeysuckle Creek and Goldstone Observatory in California both could see the moon and access the feed for the TV pictures.
At 64-metres, Parkes’s dish was larger and it could produce a better TV signal. Mr Cooke said staff didn’t want to lose their chance to make history. “It would be very poor if we gave it away.”
Mr Cooke said staff inside the telescope were far too busy to celebrate. There was some cheering when Armstrong stepped onto lunar soil, and some mild celebrations at day’s end.
He remembers later coming out of the telescope room, looking at the moon, and being amazed that three earthlings were up there. He also remembers coming home to his daughter, who told him excitedly that she had seen the telecast, unaware of the role he played in it.

As was the case with the Apollo 11 mission generally, lots didn’t go according to plan. Astronauts and ground staff were left with hard decisions that could have easily turned Apollo 11 from triumph to disaster if wrong choices were made.
Mr Cooke said Mr Bolton had backup plans for every potential mishap. Staff were taught how to crank the dish by hand should it lose the ability to move. During the landing event, the tracking station shifted to diesel power to circumvent any mains power blackout.
CSIRO present-day operations scientist at Parkes John Sarkissian said there were two TV feeds. Australians viewed the first seven minutes from Honeysuckle Creek as the moon wasn’t high enough in the sky for the Parkes dish to see it. Transmissions then shifted to Parkes.
The international TV feed switched between Honeysuckle Creek, Parkes and Goldstone several times before staying with Parkes. Mr Sarkissian said a fire in the power supply of the transmitter at the Tidbinbilla station just two days beforehand saw it ruled out from the telecasts.
John Sarkissian, Operations Scientist at CSIRO's Parkes radio telescope. Picture: Britta Campion/The Australian.John Sarkissian, Operations Scientist at CSIRO's Parkes radio telescope. Picture: Britta Campion/The Australian.
Mike Dinn, who was Deputy Station Director at Honeysuckle Creek, said he was working at the operations console and Honeysuckle Creek tracked the Lunar Module that day. About 23 staff worked at the centre and people had trained for the landing event for months.
He said Honeysuckle Creek had built up competence and confidence from taking part in earlier Apollo missions. But he said you’d quietly think about the “what ifs”if things went awry.
“My job was to keep the data flowing that was coming down from the spacecraft and ship it out the Houston,” Mr Dinn said. The data comprised the astronaut’s voice, spacecraft performance and astronauts’ biomedical information, and finally the TV feed, Mr Dinn said.
He remembered being worried about an “intermittent problem” with the heart rate feed of one of the astronauts.
The green monitor shows the first vision of Neil Armstrong's historic moon walk. Picture: David Cooke.The green monitor shows the first vision of Neil Armstrong's historic moon walk. Picture: David Cooke.
Mr Sarkissian said the public didn’t realise how hugely risky the moon mission was and how basic equipment was. So much didn’t go according to plan.
He said the computer’s memory on Apollo 11 was only “a few kilobytes”. The memory was stitched together manually. Stitches threaded in one direction represented a “zero” while those threaded the other way were “one”.
As Armstrong and Aldrin descended in the Lunar Module, the computer froze with 1201 and 1202 errors which the pair didn’t know how to interpret. The errors weren’t listed in any manual. Mr Sarkissian said Armstrong wanted to know whether to abort the landing.
Fortunately, the same error had occurred in a simulation weeks earlier with controllers wrongly suggesting an abort. NASA flight director Gene Kranz had told staff to go away and study the codes and their meanings.
Armstrong ignored the issue as he had another huge one. The Lunar Module had overshot the landing spot by about six kilometres and was heading for a boulder field on the side of a crater. Armstrong took manual control and found a flat area beyond the crater. There was only around 20 seconds of fuel left.
Buzz Aldrin's photo of Earth from the Moon captures the storms over southeast Australia at the time of the moon landing. The actual earth is above the Lunar Module. The enlargement is to the right. Picture: Parkes Observatory.Buzz Aldrin's photo of Earth from the Moon captures the storms over southeast Australia at the time of the moon landing. The actual earth is above the Lunar Module. The enlargement is to the right. Picture: Parkes Observatory.
Mr Sarkissian said Armstrong’s landing was softer than NASA bargained for. The module was designed to land harder with the bottom rung of the ladder just above the ground. Instead it was way above it, and Armstrong had to test whether he could climb back in from the lunar surface.
He said Armstrong’s heart rate was measured at 156 beats per minute while landing. “For Neil Armstrong, the test pilot, the real achievement was to land. Coming out and walking later on was the easy part,” he said.
The Australian tracking stations took part in some later Apollo missions. But the Apollo program fell out of favour quickly. NASA had its budget reined in, and three missions were cancelled in a little more than a year after Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon. It wasn’t just money. The failure of Apollo 13 with near tragic consequences disturbed many.
Mr Sarkissian said the Apollo program very much hinged on the politics of 1961 when President John Kennedy announced the US plan for a moon landing. “It was a Cold War exercise and it has to be seen in the context of 1961.”

I visited the Parkes tracking station shortly after the landing and met many of those people involved.

Aussie stars reached for the moon
They are the Australian heroes of the 1969 moon landing; staff at our tracking stations who were a vital part of the Apollo mission.
By CHRIS GRIFFITH
They are the Australian heroes of the 1969 moon landing.
Fifty years ago this month, the men and women who staffed the Parkes, Honeysuckle Creek and Tidbinbilla tracking stations sourced the weak, fragile radio feed emanating from the Apollo 11 Lunar Module on the moon’s surface, and brought the telecasts of man’s first footsteps on an alien body to hundreds of millions around the world.
They also monitored the radio data carrying information about the performance of the Lunar Module and Command Module orbiting the moon, and the astronauts’ health. Sadly, the ranks are thinning of astronomers, physicists, engineers and technicians who worked at those stations. Only around half the astronauts who flew to the moon are alive.
READ NEXT
Nevertheless the 50th anniversary celebration shapes as a chance for amazing stories to be exchanged. Parkes Observatory is holding open days on July 20 and 21, and some staff from the Apollo 11 days will be there, along with mission experts.
Staff at the Parkes telescope at the time of the moon landing. Picture: CSIRO.Staff at the Parkes telescope at the time of the moon landing. Picture: CSIRO.
Parkes radio engineer David Cooke, 87, this week spoke of the intricate planning that took place months before the mission, and the amazing judgment of then director John Bolton to keep the Parkes dish operating during the lunar telecast, despite wind gusts of up to 110km/hr when the dish’s safety rating was 40km/hr. It could have come crashing down on them, but it didn’t.
They were the worst wind gusts that Parkes had experienced since its opening and occurred as the station was readying to relay Apollo 11’s signal to the world. Mr Cooke said the dish was at its most vulnerable angle, on its side, pointing at the horizon as the moon rose.
The storm over Australia can be seen on a photo of Earth taken from the moon by Aldrin.
Parkes radio engineer David Cooke helped beam the lunar vision to the world. Picture: Parkes Observatory.Parkes radio engineer David Cooke helped beam the lunar vision to the world. Picture: Parkes Observatory.
Mr Bolton could have taken Parkes offline to protect its dish, as Honeysuckle Creek and Goldstone Observatory in California both could see the moon and access the feed for the TV pictures.
At 64-metres, Parkes’s dish was larger and it could produce a better TV signal. Mr Cooke said staff didn’t want to lose their chance to make history. “It would be very poor if we gave it away.”
Mr Cooke said staff inside the telescope were far too busy to celebrate. There was some cheering when Armstrong stepped onto lunar soil, and some mild celebrations at day’s end.
He remembers later coming out of the telescope room, looking at the moon, and being amazed that three earthlings were up there. He also remembers coming home to his daughter, who told him excitedly that she had seen the telecast, unaware of the role he played in it.

As was the case with the Apollo 11 mission generally, lots didn’t go according to plan. Astronauts and ground staff were left with hard decisions that could have easily turned Apollo 11 from triumph to disaster if wrong choices were made.
Mr Cooke said Mr Bolton had backup plans for every potential mishap. Staff were taught how to crank the dish by hand should it lose the ability to move. During the landing event, the tracking station shifted to diesel power to circumvent any mains power blackout.
CSIRO present-day operations scientist at Parkes John Sarkissian said there were two TV feeds. Australians viewed the first seven minutes from Honeysuckle Creek as the moon wasn’t high enough in the sky for the Parkes dish to see it. Transmissions then shifted to Parkes.
The international TV feed switched between Honeysuckle Creek, Parkes and Goldstone several times before staying with Parkes. Mr Sarkissian said a fire in the power supply of the transmitter at the Tidbinbilla station just two days beforehand saw it ruled out from the telecasts.
John Sarkissian, Operations Scientist at CSIRO's Parkes radio telescope. Picture: Britta Campion/The Australian.'s Parkes radio telescope. Picture: Britta Campion/The Australian.John Sarkissian, Operations Scientist at CSIRO's Parkes radio telescope. Picture: Britta Campion/The Australian.
Mike Dinn, who was Deputy Station Director at Honeysuckle Creek, said he was working at the operations console and Honeysuckle Creek tracked the Lunar Module that day. About 23 staff worked at the centre and people had trained for the landing event for months.
He said Honeysuckle Creek had built up competence and confidence from taking part in earlier Apollo missions. But he said you’d quietly think about the “what ifs”if things went awry.
“My job was to keep the data flowing that was coming down from the spacecraft and ship it out the Houston,” Mr Dinn said. The data comprised the astronaut’s voice, spacecraft performance and astronauts’ biomedical information, and finally the TV feed, Mr Dinn said.
He remembered being worried about an “intermittent problem” with the heart rate feed of one of the astronauts.
The green monitor shows the first vision of Neil Armstrong's historic moon walk. Picture: David Cooke.'s historic moon walk. Picture: David Cooke.The green monitor shows the first vision of Neil Armstrong's historic moon walk. Picture: David Cooke.
Mr Sarkissian said the public didn’t realise how hugely risky the moon mission was and how basic equipment was. So much didn’t go according to plan.
He said the computer’s memory on Apollo 11 was only “a few kilobytes”. The memory was stitched together manually. Stitches threaded in one direction represented a “zero” while those threaded the other way were “one”.
As Armstrong and Aldrin descended in the Lunar Module, the computer froze with 1201 and 1202 errors which the pair didn’t know how to interpret. The errors weren’t listed in any manual. Mr Sarkissian said Armstrong wanted to know whether to abort the landing.
Fortunately, the same error had occurred in a simulation weeks earlier with controllers wrongly suggesting an abort. NASA flight director Gene Kranz had told staff to go away and study the codes and their meanings.
Armstrong ignored the issue as he had another huge one. The Lunar Module had overshot the landing spot by about six kilometres and was heading for a boulder field on the side of a crater. Armstrong took manual control and found a flat area beyond the crater. There was only around 20 seconds of fuel left.
Buzz Aldrin's photo of Earth from the Moon captures the storms over southeast Australia at the time of the moon landing. The actual earth is above the Lunar Module. The enlargement is to the right. Picture: Parkes Observatory.'s photo of Earth from the Moon captures the storms over southeast Australia at the time of the moon landing. The actual earth is above the Lunar Module. The enlargement is to the right. Picture: Parkes Observatory.Buzz Aldrin's photo of Earth from the Moon captures the storms over southeast Australia at the time of the moon landing. The actual earth is above the Lunar Module. The enlargement is to the right. Picture: Parkes Observatory.
Mr Sarkissian said Armstrong’s landing was softer than NASA bargained for. The module was designed to land harder with the bottom rung of the ladder just above the ground. Instead it was way above it, and Armstrong had to test whether he could climb back in from the lunar surface.
He said Armstrong’s heart rate was measured at 156 beats per minute while landing. “For Neil Armstrong, the test pilot, the real achievement was to land. Coming out and walking later on was the easy part,” he said.
The Australian tracking stations took part in some later Apollo missions. But the Apollo program fell out of favour quickly. NASA had its budget reined in, and three missions were cancelled in a little more than a year after Armstrong and Aldrin walked on the moon. It wasn’t just money. The failure of Apollo 13 with near tragic consequences disturbed many.
Mr Sarkissian said the Apollo program very much hinged on the politics of 1961 when President John Kennedy announced the US plan for a moon landing. “It was a Cold War exercise and it has to be seen in the context of 1961.”
Thank you Barney, that is a very cool piece of history that I was not aware of.

...NASA copped a $400 fine for littering from the local council...
That is awesome!

A) I worked on the Apollo Project, Razdow Laboratories (Optical Contractor). Razdow had two NASA contracts, the solar optical tracking system, and the Apollo Command Module Rendezvous windows, the latter was my project.

B) 156 BPM heart rate, wow. My AICD (Implanted Defibrillator) is set to fire at 180 bpm, and it did just that Dec 6 2018. I was unconscious at the time, so I can't give any testimony about the sensations involved. Reporting says my heart rate peaked at 220 BPM.

I was 23 in 1969.

Greg

220 BPM is the max for a one-year-old. I might hit upper 150s under anaerobic load for several minutes. I'm amazed you didn't throw a rod.

My max is 157 +/-. Do the math. My aerobic target 125 -130. A 12 year-old could easily hit 160 aerobically.

I was teasing. I know at what level I stroke out....wife encourages mad dashes regularly! Ever since she saw my life insurance payout, we have a lot of sex.

Gotta brag a little bit, my grandfather was on console for the 11 landing. He was the guy monitoring the fuel. Bob Carlton was his name. Grew up hearing the stories but it wasn’t until I was older I truly appreciated what they all did. He was awesome! I’ll try to find the bbc podcast that has a lot of the interviews of the final few minutes of the landing. He’s in there a lot! Also there was 18 seconds of fuel remaining when they shut the engine down. They never got close to that little amount of fuel left in any of the simulations they ran.

Here it is, a little long but totally awesome!

I went hunting that morning............came home to watch the landing but the reception was real bad.
NASA couldn't figure out how to send the video to the news cameras so the TV people just aimed their TV
cameras at the monitor at mission control. That's why the picture was so bad. The actual video taken on the moon
was crystal clear.

My Father worked on the set of Apollo 11 out in area 51 , he was in charge of lighting to make sure the shadows and alike looked correct for when they took the video and photos. The only thing they couldn't control was the wind when the flag started to wave after they planted it.

Man! I was a bit for the space program as a kid. From the Mercury Seven on. Some kids collected comics or baseball cards. I had space stuff. My dad worked for a company called Nooter Corporation and did some mechanical design work on the Gemini test capsule. So I even had some little bits and pieces with NASA's logo on them. It was a magical time.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Reactions: dinc3
Born in 1959, and I remember watching with my family and my mom's sister and her family. They kept telling us how monumental this would be and that we'd remember it forever. So far, so good.

I also remember that Citgo gas stations (I think it was Citgo, a neighbor owned one) gave out these cardboard cut-out things that could be folded and assembled into a model Lunar Excursion Module (L.E.M.). Me and all my buddies make them, which took days, and we'd lower one down on string through my buddie's laundry chute into his basement, pretending like we were landing on the moon. We improvised matchbox cars for the lunar rovers, even before we knew there actually was a lunar rover.

Edit: It was Gulf Oil, here's one of the sheets that you popped out the perforated parts from:

Very cool!

Last edited:
Grew up with the men of Mercury, Gemini and Apollo as my heros.
Was to young to remember the moon landing.
Have the National Geographic with the moon landing cover.

R

Reactions: 12Bravo
220 BPM is the max for a one-year-old. I might hit upper 150s under anaerobic load for several minutes. I'm amazed you didn't throw a rod.

As I was about lose consciousness, I yelled to Celia to call EMS (They are a few blocks away). My Grandson (19 at the time) was here and is experienced riding with EMT as a trained first responder (casualty assessment, triage..., with additional training for evaluating Geriatrics and Pediatrics), and he ran up to me just when the ICD fired.

I came out of it pissed off and everything was flailing.

EMT rolled up a minute or two later, and got me right on O2 and the EKG. They gave me a copy printout for the VA Cardiologist, but the diagnosis was normal sinus rhythm.

I'm on Beta Blockers, and on the Rehab/Treadmill, I can't get my heart rate over 110BPM, no matter what I do.

Two days later the VA Pacemaker Lab called to notify me that the ICD had fired. I hadn't a clue about that until they called

MY ICD also paces me when HR goes below 50, records a simplified EKG on me 24/7, with a separate monitor interrogating the record via RF, dialing the VA Pacemaker Clinic every night around 3:00 AM, and does a complete 24hr data dump at that time.

Oh, well...

Greg

Last edited:
I wonder what was harder to navigate? Getting to the moon or all the spread legs waiting when they got back. :)

Reactions: shootist2004