• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For you Marines.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Stolen from John Murphy.

Never been on the base but Ive driven in the area. rugged, is an understatement.
    1672352194944.png

My daughter is a Doc stationed there right now, she likes it there. Her husband is an MP stationed there right now. He likes it also.
    I was there for 30 days as a Grunt back in 75. I didn’t like it so much😆

Used to be a good 50s style diner not far from there. Good milkshakes and some cool wall art.

I got dumped at 29 Palms in the ghetto barracks on the Wednesday night the Thanksgiving 96 started. Brand new boot from SOI. It was nice because nobody was around but us boots and the duty/aduty.
    When morning came and the sun came out I thought I was on a different planet. Sand and hills and rocks and things lol.
    Good times...

Did CAX there in '95. Headed to Joshua Tree in a couple weeks...may have to stop by see it again.

Reactions: oneshot86
    If you think that place is bad, look at the Orchard Training Center in Idaho in the winter.
    I grew up in north Idaho, just moved away.
    I lived in Mountain Home for 2 years about 15 years ago. I'd have to say that OTC is a real close second suck to 29 palms. I can see where the winter would truly suck just due to the nearly constant wind and associated wind chill. Mountain Home is a suck place to live, for sure.
    That part of Idaho, the high desert, the Owyhees and Bruneau, that is some rough country for sure. It can sure be beautiful at the same time. Big cats, wild horses, deer, elk, sheep, distances only artillery can range...

I built the 'O' course there next to the bowling alley in January of '87. Went to pick up my son for his Christmas leave in 2017, he was in my barracks next door to my old room. Way too many CAX's in my time there. Way too hot or way too cold.

Reactions: oneshot86
    CAX in 2000 was a blast, before that point in my life i had no idea a desert could be that cold! Loved it though!

I grew up in north Idaho, just moved away.
    I lived in Mountain Home for 2 years about 15 years ago. I'd have to say that OTC is a real close second suck to 29 palms. I can see where the winter would truly suck just due to the nearly constant wind and associated wind chill. Mountain Home is a suck place to live, for sure.
    That part of Idaho, the high desert, the Owyhees and Bruneau, that is some rough country for sure. It can sure be beautiful at the same time. Big cats, wild horses, deer, elk, sheep, distances only artillery can range...

1995-1999 for me.
    Hated the area right around the base, but I loved everything else.

1995-1999 for me.
    Hated the area right around the base, but I loved everything else.
    I moved there to see if I could help my younger brother with his PTSD after returning from Iraq. I work in the oilfield so wasn't even there much of the time. Even so, that town is not a fun place to live. Out of town north and northeast and out of town to west and southwest was some real good country, if not rugged. I just don't like that high desert stuff where the wind blows almost constantly much at all.

spent 7 years of my life there. wish i could still live in 29 palms

Shit you guys have never been to NAF El Centro. Straight up butthole of California.

I'd take 29 palms over El Centro or Yuma any day. Joshua Tree is a beautiful place. Mountains in the background is nice to see. El Centro and Yuma have better food, but the drive in from Palm Springs is always fun when I go to 29 palms.

I moved there to see if I could help my younger brother with his PTSD after returning from Iraq. I work in the oilfield so wasn't even there much of the time. Even so, that town is not a fun place to live. Out of town north and northeast and out of town to west and southwest was some real good country, if not rugged. I just don't like that high desert stuff where the wind blows almost constantly much at all.

100% agree. Even driving ten miles southward towards the Snake just opened up a completely different world.
    We spent a lot of time shooting rockchucks along the lava flows and creeks. Pigeons were fair game on the rock out croppings.

My favorite area was the Clearwater

100% agree. Even driving ten miles southward towards the Snake just opened up a completely different world.
    We spent a lot of time shooting rockchucks along the lava flows and creeks. Pigeons were fair game on the rock out crop pings.

My favorite area was the Clearwater
    I just moved away from Lewiston. Sort of grew up in that area. That is definitely a VERY nice place to live. The Clearwater and the Snake confluence there and leave the state. I do think that it is the lowest elevation of the state. The Snake drains land from Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, Washington and Idaho. The Salmon River dumps into the Snake about 50 miles upstream from Lewiston and it drains much of Idaho. The Clearwater River drains most of north Idaho. All that water leaves the state there at Lewiston. Only that stuff north of Lewiston (think Coeur d'Alene) doesn't drain out in Lewiston.
    The Clearwater area has 2 kinds of deer, elk, moose, pheasant, quail, chukar, perch, bass, trout (including steelhead), salmon, catfish, ducks, geese, doves, bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, bobcats....pretty much every sort of game Idaho has is available in that area. Lewiston has MILD winters but can be hot as fuck in the summer.
    I'm definitely going to be missing that area.

I just moved away from Lewiston. Sort of grew up in that area. That is definitely a VERY nice place to live. The Clearwater and the Snake confluence there and leave the state. I do think that it is the lowest elevation of the state. The Snake drains land from Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Oregon, Washington and Idaho. The Salmon River dumps into the Snake about 50 miles upstream from Lewiston and it drains much of Idaho. The Clearwater River drains most of north Idaho. All that water leaves the state there at Lewiston. Only that stuff north of Lewiston (think Coeur d'Alene) doesn't drain out in Lewiston.
    The Clearwater area has 2 kinds of deer, elk, moose, pheasant, quail, chukar, perch, bass, trout (including steelhead), salmon, catfish, ducks, geese, doves, bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, bobcats....pretty much every sort of game Idaho has is available in that area. Lewiston has MILD winters but can be hot as fuck in the summer.
    Beautiful country but
    Fucking
    Cold

I left there and did a tour in Korea. Followed on back to South Dakota.

I've told Rebecca that I'd move back to Idaho in a nanosecond. It just wouldn't be anywhere near Boise. Or Mountain Home either.

Did your move to MH help your brother

I'd take 29 palms over El Centro or Yuma any day. Joshua Tree is a beautiful place. Mountains in the background is nice to see. El Centro and Yuma have better food, but the drive in from Palm Springs is always fun when I go to 29 palms.
    I almost flipped a 7ton over the long exit from the 10…..that long left overpass.

A strong gust grabbed me and my B driver said “bro….I now understand butthole pucker”

Never should have given Doc a license. Lol

I was there for CAX 2000. Im from MN originally and froze may ass off in that damn desert!
    Nice! I was with 2/6 working up for 22 MEU. Weapons Company. CAX was blast but the only thing colder that that desert was the Quonset huts where we slept. I was convinced they were refrigerated.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    '89-'93 for me. Not a bad place if you have a car. Four hours to Phoenix, a couple hours to LA area or San Diego, Vegas too. Spring break at Lake Havasu.
    I should have bought one of those "Lake Bandini Swim Club" t-shirts they had at the PX.

I left there and did a tour in Korea. Followed on back to South Dakota.

I've told Rebecca that I'd move back to Idaho in a nanosecond. It just wouldn't be anywhere near Boise. Or Mountain Home either.

Did your move to MH help your brother
    Not at all. Just like with addictions, you gotta want to change yourself. He uses his past as a crutch, an excuse, to continue his self destruction. He's always been that way. After Bosnia, I thought he might change. He got married, had some kids, reverted right back to being his victim self. At least now he has the VA sending him a check to help fund the barstool.

Went to radio school there back in the mid to late 80's. I didn't mind it until they removed the old Tanker quonset hut that had the good chow, and built the crappy food one on the hill. The old tanker one had the best omelettes and chipped beef!

Got the the summer pleasure there Jul/Aug of 2009 with a Mojave Viper. Had a heat snap where it cooled down to a balmy 114 degrees by 2200 at night. Previous summer was in Iraq...no difference.

Turned right around and did it again Jan/Feb of 2010 five months later. Snow on the ground and a week of 34 degree rain. 12 of my platoon came down with a wicked bronchitis.

I love reliving those stories...now that I'm retired. Frigging sucked at the time.

• Haha
    Reactions: Maggot
    My problem is with all this Marine talk, I am stuck with a bit from "Heartbreak Ridge."

Gunney Highway asks Cojones for some marching cadence and all that he has is crude.

Born in Yuma, been to 29 Palms several times.
    Way better now than it used to be.
    MCAS Yuma if I had to choose.

Left for ITX4-19 without any prescription shades and came home with a nice pair of cataracts. Otherwise the stumps was fine.