• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forester Ultra Micrometer Seating Die

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
Can anyone tell me if the seating stem provided with this die is compatible with BERGER VLDs and other secant type bullets ?
Thanks !

On the same subject... I assume this seating stem will work with hornady's new ELD-M bullets such as the 75gr? Can anyone confirm?

They seem to be a secant design although maybe ? not as much as the VLDs so I think Forester may have done a compromise in the design but I really do not know for sure . I do know my B-Inlaw is loading both VLDs & ELDXs with no sign of deformation . I sent an e-mail to Forester regarding this subject but have yet to receive a reply !
If Forester replies I will let everyone know !
Patiently waiting .

I had to have them polish my stem for the 308 175g RDF as the bullet kept sticking. That was in Jan though so maybe they have fixed it in the new dies or perhaps mine was just off. The rep at Forster said they had not tested any RDF's but were going to after my issue. I was told, don't recall by whom, that the RDF is more of a hybrid.

I have zero issues with 140 ELD-M's, 73 ELD-M's, 75 ELD-M's, 80 ELD-M's, 130 VLD, 130 AR Hybrids, 140 Hybrids in my Forster Ultra's.

Anyone know where to find a fosters seating die for a 338LM? My three go to places on the net have been on backorder for months. Midway just changed the status from backorder ok to NO backorder.

On the same subject... I assume this seating stem will work with hornady's new ELD-M bullets such as the 75gr? Can anyone confirm?

My benchrest seater seats 77 grain Nosler CC ok, but leaves a slight ring below the plastic tip on 75 grain ELD-M's in .223 Rem. I have not loaded 70 grain RDF's yet.

(Not the micrometer top, just the standard Benchrest seating die) I have also emailed Forster, and am waiting impatiently to hear back.

If your seating step is marring your bullets, then fix it. Take one of your bullets, chuck it up in a drill, take your stem out, put a little lapping compound on the bullet, insert in the stem and turn on the drill. In just a moment or two your stem is ground to fit your bullets to perfection. Basically, all your doing is increasing the contact surface of the stem so it doesn’t put pressure on a small area. That’s what causes the stem to marr them.

Wayne