• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forgot how stupid people are.

SIG700

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2012
Pottstown, PA
Decided to go to the local game land that has a rifle range on it instead of the club I belong to (NHRPC) today... Big mistake. I only went to the game land because its 15 mins vs an hour, and I was only going to sight in a rifle and leave, so it made more sense to go to the game lands. I arrive and 10 mins later a bench opens up so I go put my rifle there and wait for the range to go cold to set up a target. Guy 1 (we'll call him asshole) who arrived a few mins after me comes up and says that if I'm not going to shoot to leave so he can shoot. I tell Asshole that I'm going to shoot as soon as the range goes cold and I can set up a target. He goes off saying there are tons of targets up (all other peoples) and storms off. Few mins later they call clear, and I notice about half of the people there (we'll call them all Douche bags) believe that "clear" means that you just set your gun down. Actions closed, guns loaded. Feeling pretty uneasy but still go down range with everyone else, put up a target and come back. Some of the Douche bags that got back from the targets early than proceed to handle their guns (remember loaded with closed actions) while the slower Douche bags are still down range. Range goes hot, I fire 3 rounds, I'm zero'd now. Fire the other 17... well just because. Guy to my left (was one of the Douche bags, now we'll call him King Douche) asks me about my rifle. I begin to tell him its a 700 with this stock and these rings/scope/dbm/etc and King Douche than proceeds to tell me all of the "gunsmithing" he's done to his AR. (DPMS oriacle) When I tell him that his Crane-O ring instillation, foregrip swap, and BSA red dot instillation don't really qualify as "gunsmithing", he proceeds to tell me that I have no clue what I'm talking about, my gun is junk, etc. At this point they call clear again, I figure my life is not worth going down range a second time, pack up and leave as some ~10year old kid (we'll call him Douche Jr.) is watching people put up targets thru the scope of his fathers (presumably loaded) rifle (with the action closed). I'm shocked no one had died at that range. Makes the drive to my club so much more worth the gas. Rant mode off.

Re: Forgot how stupid people are.

So many assholes (and douchebags)...so few bullets!!
wink.gif

I know what you mean...going to any public range this time of year (with deer season on the horizon) is an exercise in taking your life in your own hands, as well as in patience with some of the dumbest @$%^ing idiots that have been deposited on this earth! While I mostly shoot on private land and at a members-only range at other times, the "public"/State-run range is roughly a 20min drive versus a good bit longer for the other shooting areas. I'd take the longer drive 10 times out of 10 versus having to frequent the public range...especially this time of year! Your life is worth the extra time/effort/gasoline to make the longer drive and be safe on the line when you get there!

And the scary part...? All these people own guns. Now, don't get my wrong, I would not be on this site if I was not a gun nut, but would you not agree that there are some people out there that should not own a gun? Makes us all look bad.
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChaosKid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would that range be French Creek? </div></div>

Ya Chaos, PA State Game Lands 43/French Creek S.P.

Sounds like par for the course with most gun ranges!!!

I've seen plenty of bad stuff there.
I thought they were now requiring either a valid permit or a valid hunting license to shoot there.
Either way, I belong to Atglen and Southern Chester County, so there's no need for me to risk my life at FC. It's a forty mile drive from home but I do it nearly every week.

New Holland is a bit further out, but I'd consider that if the rumors are true about stretching out to 1000 yards.
Any truth to that?

There have been blue prints to stretch NHRPC out to 1000 since 1989 I believe. They come out like every other club meeting. Last time I listened to a conversation about it (which I ususally just ignore) they said they should have the $ to do it around 2014. If that actually happens only time will tell. However we currently run out to 600 (furthest steel is actually ~625 yards) with pistol pits, etc. Most important, every member I've shot with has been extremely safety conscious, as well as very friendly and courteous. Chaos if you want to try NHRPC out- send me a PM and we'll find a time that I'll take you as a guest.

Never ever for any reason underestimate the stupidity of people. Most of all at a gun range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the scary part...? All these people own guns. Now, don't get my wrong, I would not be on this site if I was not a gun nut, but would you not agree that there are some people out there that should not own a gun? Makes us all look bad.
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Not everyone should drive a car, have children or own firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longguntoter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And the scary part...? All these people own guns. Now, don't get my wrong, I would not be on this site if I was not a gun nut, but would you not agree that there are some people out there that should not own a gun? Makes us all look bad.
whistle.gif
</div></div>

Not everyone should drive a car, have children or own firearms. </div></div>

Just wait a few more years...

I won't even use our local gun club from Oct. 15th to Nov. 16th. Too many idiots and no RSO. Deer season opens on Nov. 15th.

I won't go to my local range either for the same reasons listed. To bad someone will pay dearly someday for an accident that could have been prevented with little effort.

I once witnessed some fat idiot start walking out to place targets at the 50yd backstops while people were firing at the 100yd lanes at French Creek.

Its pretty much exactly the same on the other side of the state near Pittsburgh. It's quite scary going to the game lands shooting ranges. The only reason to go there is to pick up everyone elses .223 and pistol brass..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DanGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's disgusting, really makes me appreciate the range where I shoot. NONE of that idiocy would be tolerated for a second. So here's to a safe range, the Cresap range in Frederick, Md.

http://cresaprifleclub.com/ </div></div>

Double tap on that. Well run, safe and respectable.

The local DNR range is about 25 minutes from my house; it has four benches and a max of 100yd available to shoot.

I go out there to plink, sight in rifles or do short-range load development but generally hate it because there are so many people out there that go full retard once you put a loaded weapon in their hands.

I've seen one hangfire in a Mosin that nearly killed the dumbass 19 year old that started to look down the barrel after the gun didn't fire (!!!), and another time I called RANGE COLD and was about 60yd downrange to change targets when a dumbass started popping off with a revolver of some sort. Nevermind I was wearing a bright red shirt, or had looked this fool in the eye when I called range cold.

Then the brass vultures, who make it a hobby/job/sport to pick up other's brass and seem to get pissed when you tell them you save your brass to reload yourself.

Yet I keep going, because its convenient to me...

I've had no problem yelling at idiots (or their children if necessary) to unload and never EVER handle a firearm while others are downrange. My statement(s) usually consists of their thoughts on having a loaded firearm pointed at them, and it tends to do the job.

I typically go to DelMarVa sporting clays on the MD Eastern Shore, and more often than not the folks there are all squared away, safe, and respectful. I've only had to really get on people at Myrtle Grove WMA in southern MD.

What's even more frustrating is that from time to time the local astronomy clubs drive right onto that range (F.C.) while it's still pretty much daylight and start setting up telescopes. I've been there once. Never again.

As much as I hate the rules of my public (Well county run) range, it's stories like the above that makes me appreciate it too.

1 round at a time, actions open, no one on the line when cease fire is called, hearing protection etc, etc. Range officers are actually County parks employees hired by the other range officers out of the "regular crowd" by that I mean the shooters that go there often and volunteer. NRA courses for certification and you've got yourself a part time job.

Out of my ten years going there I've only seen two incidents of unsafe behavior. One guy who blew up his AR-15 because he thought reloading his own ammo meant filling the case with powder and jamming a bullet on top, and another younger "gentleman" who was angry and threw his loaded AK-47 on the ground because "It didn't keep firing when he held down the trigger"

The majority of the people who go there shoot the old bolt actions like me, you get some guys with the AR's and the AK's, there's a crew often who long range varmint hunt and pull in with 4 or 5 rifles, nightforce scopes and nearly full pallets of different brands of ammo to test which guns like what.

Still, couldn't pay me to go there around hunting season, usually too crowded and too many people who I don't know that come in, fire 10 rounds and leave.

I highly envy those of you with enough land to go ahead and do what you want, when you want lol

yep. our ranges are same way. cant trust a MF with a gun in his hand. Same here with hunting season, dont know whats worse, hunters getting ready in winter or summer gun shows and gang banger wannabes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: John L</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I won't even use our local gun club from Oct. 15th to Nov. 16th. Too many idiots and no RSO. Deer season opens on Nov. 15th. </div></div>

Guys from NYC and the Tri-State Area flood the woods in my part of NY during hunting season, it's beyond scary.

Wow glad I live where I do. Any of the above gets you a suspension at my gun club's range. Only problem there is the range only goes to 200 yards and the days you can shoot are kind of funky.