• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Form 1 50bmg can

Jimmym40a2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
Colorado
Form 1 50bmg suppressor

After making my 408 can I was ready to make a can for my 50bmg. 50’s are fun to shoot but the muzzle blast is horrendous.
After seeing this video I wanted one similar in size. And decited to make it 18x3inches dia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxYpVIMYmCU
I wanted to make it out of stainless and I ordered materials from online metals.com.
I wanted to make it light as possible so I ordered the thinner wall .065 in 3inch dia.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm...2&top_cat=1
and the bar material to make the baffles

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm...6&top_cat=1
I wanted the weight to come in at 6-7 pounds and thought the thinner wall would work and using aluminum spacers to cut the weight and provide more strength for the walls. I found some tubing that fit perfectly.
101B1210.jpg

This would hold the baffles straight and make it lighter.
Baffles:
I went for a simple “tac16” design. 6 baffles and spacers. I thought more complicated ones would be heavier and harder to make.I originally was going to have 7 but dropped one to save weight. I back cut the holes to let the gas expand before hitting the next baffle and save weight.
101B1190.jpg

I started with a .57 hole and ended with a .61 hole in the end. I “tapered” it to help avoid baffle strikes.
101_0752.jpg

The baffles were simple but heavy to I turned off the “rim” of each one but the first one and it saved me half a pound in weight. The can still ended up being 8 pounds but being 18 inches long and 3 inches dia. I feel it came out pretty good.
I had a friend of mine tig weld it together:
tig2.jpg

It looked like he was working on a drive shaft not a suppressor!
It was now ready to me fired. My fired has a 55 gallon drum buried in his shop filled with sand and has rubber layers over it to set weapons so I fired a shot to see how she worked! I have to admit I was a little nervous before firing it but I was confident it would work.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inhjxDfRxwA
I was pleasantly supprised with how well it sounded. Didn’t ring my hears and had a good tone. I fired a few more to make sure nothing was coming apart then drove out to on open area to see how it sounded away from the metal buildings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATmYBmz8lx0
It was very pleasant to shoot with no muzzle blast and recoil was not bad at all.
The gun: Original Cheytac intervention (made by EDM arms) with 50bmg barrel conversion from EDM arms. (Switch barrel)
form1can.jpg

I have some more detail work to do on the can before I coat it but I’m psyched how well it came out and works. I have about 280$ into it and only about 10 hours of lathe work. The baffles were done on a CNC machine and after programmed took 7 minutes to make each. I love the fact that I made it my self and how well it works.
did I mention this is huge. I'm 6'7"....
photo3.jpg

Re: Form 1 50bmg can

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That, sir, is awesome.</div></div> +100000
You could beat someone to death with that can if you ran out of ammo...I LOVE IT!
grin.gif

Nice work. Im going to be submitting my paperwork for my first form 1 this week.

Great job!!! That is awesome.

The shoes however.......well I am gonna leave that alone.

Great job. Thanks for posting all the details.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it not beat you to death w/o the brake? </div></div>

I think the suppressor plus the weight of it is the same if not better than the brake

I dunno. I have a damn near 40 pound AR50 that hits less than a .308. I can't imagine how 8 more pounds would make that much of a difference, and it's been my experience with cans that they don't really lessen the recoil much over running a rifle w/o them. On .308's at least.

Jimmy.... Witch way do your baffles sit,? It sounds like the cut out part points away from the muzzle blast ??
If so wouldent it be better other ways around

Do you have a link for the aluminum stock at onlinemetals

Zevdogs the baffles point to the muzzle.I didn't get the alum from on line metals but from a local supplier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it not beat you to death w/o the brake?</div></div>
Watch the video. The recoil is not bad at all and it gets rid of the blast which is huge.

I can't tell if this is a reflex can....(goes over the barrel) ore just screws on the end

Jimmy -

That thing ROCKS! Nicely done - can't wait to shoot it with you.

I haz a jealous. Not only because you can have a can and I can't but because you can make a can. How many cans is that?

HERES MY ?

Can a Form 1 build these... then sell them to a civilian for a legal transfer?

You could make some money!!!

Matt.

A person is not supposed to make cans on a form 1 to sell. A license is required for that just like making title 1 guns for resale.

A person can sell their form 1 can, but if the person is another state, then there are two $200 taxes to be paid. One to transfer to the dealer on a form 4, then dealer to dealer on a form 3, then dealer to buyer on a form 4.

Ranb