• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Form 1 SBR additional configurations, where to mail?

Ape_Factory

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
Curious if you're adding an additional configuration, do you mail it to the Martinsburg, WV, to Portland or to somewhere else entirely?

I look online and most of the articles date back more than five years so I want to make sure the information is correct and up to date. Searching the ATF site for that answer is impossible.

Thanks!

Curious if you're adding an additional configuration, do you mail it to the Martinsburg, WV, to Portland or to somewhere else entirely?

I look online and most of the articles date back more than five years so I want to make sure the information is correct and up to date. Searching the ATF site for that answer is impossible.

Thanks!

Are you looking to permanently change the upper?

You can throw whatever upper you want on it as long as you still have the original. And btw the original meaning an upper with that length barrel and caliber. There isn't a specific upper tied to your lower.

It's currently a 10.5", going to 8.5" 300 blackout unless it doesn't work as well as the 10.5 did at which point I'd go back to the old barrel.. I could theoretically keep the old barrel around but I was going to add an additional configuration and send the notice in to the ATF.

I would not have an extra upper receiver, gas block and hand guard with the 10.5" barrel, that'd all be swapped over to the 8.5" barrel.

Waiting for one of the experts to start quoting regs. But, my understanding is as long as you have a legit SBR lower, you can have as many uppers for it as you want. It is hard to imply intent to create something illegal when you have a clear and legal purpose for them.

Read here...https://www.guntrustguru.com/how-do-i-change-the-registered-configuration-of-my-short-barreled-rifle.html

Just curious if the address in WV is still correct.

Read here...https://www.guntrustguru.com/how-do-i-change-the-registered-configuration-of-my-short-barreled-rifle.html

Just curious if the address in WV is still correct.

From the ATF 5320.1

Change of Description or Address: The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing, of any change to the description of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant.

Tbh even if you just kept the barrel it's probably enough. But its not a huge deal to send a notice. Don't describe it as a permanent change. Just an additional configuration as you've stated here.

Reactions: Ape_Factory