• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Form 4 question

PKRobbins

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Southern MO
Decided to get a suppressor for my rifle, went next door to the CLEO and asked him if he'd sign off on it. His answer was "Sure, I'd love to shoot it when you get it."
cool.gif

So I download BATFE form 4 and start filling it out. Here are my questions:

Do I have to pick out the can before I apply? I was hoping to have the 6 month wait time to make up my mind.
Does the Class III dealer fill out his part before I apply?
Will most places make me pay for it at that time or when I get my stamp?
What are reasonable reasons to own it (see section 15)? I want it to reduce noise and recoil and because I can. Anyone ever had any trouble on this one?

Re: Form 4 question

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Decided to get a suppressor for my rifle, went next door to the CLEO and asked him if he'd sign off on it. His answer was "Sure, I'd love to shoot it when you get it."
cool.gif

So I download BATFE form 4 and start filling it out. Here are my questions:

Do I have to pick out the can before I apply? I was hoping to have the 6 month wait time to make up my mind. <span style="color: #FF6600">Yes. On application you need make/model/serial number etc...</span>
Does the Class III dealer fill out his part before I apply?<span style="color: #FF0000">Yes. They should fill it all out & you sign </span>
Will most places make me pay for it at that time or when I get my stamp?<span style="color: #FF6600">Yes. It's technically yours & you're just waiting for approval to take it home. </span>
What are reasonable reasons to own it (see section 15)? I want it to reduce noise and recoil and because I can. Anyone ever had any trouble on this one? </div></div><span style="color: #CC0000">I always put "To enhance collection and for all lawful purposes."</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PKR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I download BATFE form 4 and start filling it out. Here are my questions:

Do I have to pick out the can before I apply? <span style="color: #990000">Yes you will need the serial # for the form 4</span>

Does the Class III dealer fill out his part before I apply? <span style="color: #FF0000">The form is usually filled out by the dealer so he can put his information</span>

Will most places make me pay for it at that time or when I get my stamp? <span style="color: #CC0000">The suppressor is paid for prior to form4, or else the dealer would have a suppressor that he can't sell in his safe for 4-6 months</span>

What are reasonable reasons to own it (see section 15)? <span style="color: #CC0000">Hearing preservation is what I put on all three of mine</span></div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KaneK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="color: #CC0000">I always put "To enhance collection and for all lawful purposes."</span> </div></div>
that's a good one, i usually put "Collective Purpose" as well.

You must pick out the suppressor and purchase it before filling out the form 4 since the form requests the details on the suppressor including its description and serial number. Your dealer will fill out the front of the form. Sellers and dealers will require cash up front on a suppressor sale. They won't wait the 4 months it takes to get the form 4 approved. I put "collector of firearms" on my form 4's as the purpose for the acquisition.

I have one that says anti squirrel patrol and another that says zombie patrol. They were both prepared by my dealer and went through.

Whenever you go to buy a suppressor I would make sure that you can find one in stock if at all possible. If not, it takes time to manufacturer that suppressor (TBD on time), then it has to be transferred to the dealer (4-6 weeks), and then you start your paperwork. If you find it in stock you get to forego the first portion of 4-6 weeks of waiting. If you did the whole cycle from scratch it could be close a year before you get it all done. That is worst case but it can happen.