• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Former Scout Sniper to receive Medal of Honor

Lazlo

Janitor
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 22, 2008
    Upstate SC
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/07/marine-dakota-meyer-medal-of-honor-071911w/

A Marine who repeatedly braved enemy fire in eastern Afghanistan attempting to find and save fellow members of his embedded training team will receive the Medal of Honor, Marine Corps Times has confirmed.

Dakota Meyer was contacted by President Obama on Monday, according to sources with knowledge of the award. He will be the first living Marine recipient of the nation’s highest award for valor since now-retired Sgt. Maj. Allan Kellogg received the medal for actions 41 years ago in Vietnam.

Only two living recipients — both soldiers — have received the award for actions in Iraq and Afghanistan: Staff Sgt. Salvatore Giunta and Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Petry. Cpl. Jason Dunham is the only Marine to receive the medal for current conflicts, and he received it posthumously after throwing himself on a grenade in Husaybah, Iraq, in 2004 to save the lives of fellow Marines.

It’s unclear when Meyer, a scout sniper, will receive the medal. Officials at the White House and Marine Corps headquarters declined to comment.

The news was first reported Tuesday night on the website of Leatherneck, a publication produced by the Marine Corps Association. Marine Corps Times reported exclusively Nov. 8 that the Corps had nominated Meyer for the award.

Meyer, who left active-duty service in June 2010 as a corporal, will be honored for his actions Sept. 8, 2009. He charged into a kill zone on foot and alone to find three missing Marines and a Navy corpsman, who had been pinned down under intense enemy fire in Ganjgal, a remote village near the Pakistan border in violent Kunar province.

Already wounded by shrapnel, Meyer found them dead and stripped of their gear and weapons, and helped carry them from the kill zone, according to military documents obtained by Marine Corps Times.

Meyer — who now lives in Austin, Texas — could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday night. In interviews with Marine Corps Times in November, he said he felt “like the furthest thing from a hero” because he did not find his fellow Marines alive.

“Whatever comes out of it, it’s for those guys,” he said at the time. “I feel like I let my guys down because I didn’t bring them home alive.”

PAINFUL MEMORIES
    The ambush conjures painful memories for many of those involved.

Killed in the battle were Gunnery Sgts. Edwin Johnson, 31, and Aaron Kenefick, 30; 1st Lt. Michael Johnson, 25; and Hospitalman 3rd Class James Layton, 22; and an Afghan interpreter and at least eight Afghan security forces. Army Sgt. 1st Class Kenneth Westbrook, 41, died Oct. 7, 2009, at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington from medical complications related to wounds he sustained in the attack.

The attack occurred during an early morning mission to meet with tribal elders in a village with a known insurgent presence. Thirteen U.S. service members, including Meyer, came under attack by at least 50 well-fortified insurgents armed with machine guns, assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades. The Marines were with Embedded Training Team 2-8, out of Okinawa, Japan, while soldiers on the mission came from the 10th Mountain Division, out of Fort Drum, N.Y.

In February 2010, Army officials announced that “negligent” leadership contributed “directly to the loss of life” on the battlefield that day by refusing repeated pleas for artillery support from U.S. forces on the ground and failing to notify higher commands that they had troops in trouble. Three unidentified officers were recommended for letters of reprimand, and Army officials later said they were delivered to two of them.

Two investigations of the incident were conducted, with the first headed by an Army major in the first few days after the ambush. The second, focusing primarily on command post failure, was overseen by Army Col. Richard Hooker and Marine Col. James Werth in November 2009, military officials said.

A full copy report of the investigation obtained by Marine Corps Times includes first-person statements from more than 35 U.S. service members, describing in grisly detail the chaos on the battlefield and in the operations center, based at Forward Operating Base Joyce and overseen by Task Force Chosin, an Army unit comprising soldiers from 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division.

Meyer, then 21, went into the kill zone on foot after helicopter pilots called on to respond said they could not help retrieve the four missing service members because the fighting on the ground was too fierce, according to a witness statement he provided the military. He found his buddies in a trench where pilots had spotted them.

“I checked them all for a pulse. There [sic] bodies were already stiff,” Meyer said in a sworn statement he was asked to provide military investigators. “I found SSgt Kenefick facedown in the trench w/ his GPS in his hand. His face appeared as if he were screaming. He had been shot in the head.”

OTHER AWARDS
    Several other service members involved in the battle already have received valor awards, including the four casualties that Meyer helped recover. The fallen Marines and corpsman were honored with Bronze Stars with “V” device a year after their death for working together after they were pinned down to hold off the enemy, allowing a group of Afghan troops they were training to rejoin a larger group of coalition forces nearby. They fought until the death despite a barrage of fire.

Last month, Navy Secretary Ray Mabus awarded two other ETT 2-8 Marines who survived with the Navy Cross, the nation’s second highest award for valor. Capt. Ademola Fabayo, 30, and Staff Sgt. Juan Rodriguez-Chavez, 34, were honored for acting heroically when “the world became fire,” Mabus said in a ceremony at the National Museum of the Marine Corps, near Quantico, Va.

Fabayo, then a first lieutenant, is credited with braving enemy fire on foot to re-establish contact with the four missing service members, engaging insurgents at close range with his M4 carbine, and carrying Westbrook several hundred yards under fire to safety after the soldier had been shot in the neck and cheek.

Fabayo then drove back into the kill zone with another military adviser, Army Capt. Will Swenson, in an unarmored truck in an attempt to reach the missing four-man team, which had led the element of U.S. service members on foot that day. Fabayo and Swenson were unable to reach them the first time, but evacuated and treated several wounded Afghan forces. Fayabo took the gunner’s position in another vehicle and re-entered the kill zone again to help recover the bodies of the missing team, which at that point had been found by Meyer.

Rodriguez-Chavez was assigned to the unit’s security element with Meyer. After hearing that U.S. forces were pinned down in the front of the element, he drove a Humvee into the kill zone three times to cover the withdrawal of U.S. and Afghan forces, while Meyer manned a machine gun turret on the vehicle. Meyer charged into the kill zone on foot afterward, despite sustaining a shrapnel wound to the arm while in the turret.

Once Meyer found the bodies, he joined Fabayo, Rodriguez-Chavez and Swenson for yet another mounted dash into the kill zone. Rodriguez-Chavez, the driver, positioned the vehicle to shield his fellow service members as they left the gun truck to retrieve the bodies. It was not clear whether Swenson is up for any high-valor award.

The Corps also honored Gunnery Sgt. Chad Miller with the Bronze Star with “V” in a June 29 ceremony at Camp Lejeune, N.C. He is credited with manning an overwatch position for more than six hours, spotting targets for Afghan National Army counterparts and marking targets for aerial fire once helicopter air support arrived.

During the June 10 ceremony honoring Fabayo and Rodriguez-Chavez, Mabus referenced Meyer and Swenson directly, and said the Ganjgal story will be retold for ages at boot camp to new recruits.

“That story doesn’t need any other explanation,” Mabus said. “Whatever words there are, they’re not adequate in adding anything to the actions of that day.”

Re: Former Scout Sniper to receive Medal of Honor

+1 on this guy!

Ran into a kill zone several times to help Marines and a Corpsman. And though he couldn't save their lives, he brought them out -- he left noone behind.

News earlier today said he'es currently a contractor, but thinking about re-enlisting in the Marines.

He is the stuff heros are made of.

That he is a Sniper is just a bonus for this community!

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that man is a guy you want on your side -a truely brave man!!</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Justin2360</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that man is a guy you want on your side -a truely brave man!!</div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Couldn't of said it better.

OK Ban this cock sucker. He posted on the wrong thread and is a fucktard in general.

Cheers,

Doc

Question: Was he serving in a Scout/Sniper billet when this occured. he was a Cpl on EAS, so I guess he did one enlistment. After completing S/S school it is highly unlikely a expensively trained individual who took a rare and desirable slot in S/S school would go back to the Grunts.

IMO, this was a toatl clusterfuck. Over 6 hours under enemy fire, with dead and wounded cut off from the main body, and senior officer and enlisted leadership shot to pieces and or killed because they were all "leading from the front". Then there is the issue of the refusal of the Army FOD and FDC to give them any FS for hours while americans bled and died, because they didn't want to inflict any "collateral damage" even when they were repeatedly assured there were no innocent civilians anywhere near the targets (who cares!).
    So they hand out a basket of medals, including the MOH and multiple NC's and BZ's at least, as well as a bushel of Purple Hearts. A couple Army Officers get "Letters of Reprimand" that will result in them retiring as lowly LtCol's now, instead of Brigadiers (They should have been Courts-martialed or resigned alnd lost all benifits including pensions).
    This was a piss poor mission. Shit Intelligence, Shit FS Coordination, heavy casualties, and total incompeyencd by leadership in the mission and at the FSB.
    So when things go down the shitter they throw out medals that they wouldn't have even considered for a "successful" battle to try to take the stink off it.
    Even the recipient doesn't feel he deserves it. A Silver Star maybe, but if this hadn't been such a disaster on so many levels we never would have heard about it, and we wouldn't be talking about any MOH. This is just like that Football Player that got shot by his own, and they covered that up with bullshit and medals too.
    I saw lots of Officers who had no business being in the ranks and roles they were in during my time. Unfortunately it is others that bleed and die for their incompetence and bad judgement.
    This whole story makes me sick, as I expect it does to everybody who was in that battle, including Meyer. It never should have happened.

the answer to your question is no he was not in a S/S billet at the moment. He was working in a security element for the embedded training teams. The Embeds were on their way to a Key leader Engagement when they got ambushed by over 50 Taliban and the rest is history. He was one brave individual but I am sure he would say that he was doing his job, which in sense he was. He was an individual out under extreme conditions and did a very brave act. Great story and great American Marine.

Doc,

I attempted to ask this question via PM, but your inbox is full.

If this was directed at me, do you care to explain this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK Ban this cock sucker. He posted on the wrong thread and is a fucktard in general.</div></div>

Respectfully,
    Lazlo

Lazlo,

It would appear that the thread I was referring to has disappeared, the guy was posting something for sale on any thread on every forum topic. It was not meant for you and by the way thank you for posting the link. I'll clear out the in box.

Cheers,

Doc

Hopefully they can get him to re-enlist

No harm done Doc, thanks for clarifying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Question: Was he serving in a Scout/Sniper billet when this occured. he was a Cpl on EAS, so I guess he did one enlistment. After completing S/S school it is highly unlikely a expensively trained individual who took a rare and desirable slot in S/S school would go back to the Grunts.

IMO, this was a toatl clusterfuck. Over 6 hours under enemy fire, with dead and wounded cut off from the main body, and senior officer and enlisted leadership shot to pieces and or killed because they were all "leading from the front". Then there is the issue of the refusal of the Army FOD and FDC to give them any FS for hours while americans bled and died, because they didn't want to inflict any "collateral damage" even when they were repeatedly assured there were no innocent civilians anywhere near the targets (who cares!).
    So they hand out a basket of medals, including the MOH and multiple NC's and BZ's at least, as well as a bushel of Purple Hearts. A couple Army Officers get "Letters of Reprimand" that will result in them retiring as lowly LtCol's now, instead of Brigadiers (They should have been Courts-martialed or resigned alnd lost all benifits including pensions).
    This was a piss poor mission. Shit Intelligence, Shit FS Coordination, heavy casualties, and total incompeyencd by leadership in the mission and at the FSB.
    So when things go down the shitter they throw out medals that they wouldn't have even considered for a "successful" battle to try to take the stink off it.
    Even the recipient doesn't feel he deserves it. A Silver Star maybe, but if this hadn't been such a disaster on so many levels we never would have heard about it, and we wouldn't be talking about any MOH. This is just like that Football Player that got shot by his own, and they covered that up with bullshit and medals too.
    I saw lots of Officers who had no business being in the ranks and roles they were in during my time. Unfortunately it is others that bleed and die for their incompetence and bad judgement.
    This whole story makes me sick, as I expect it does to everybody who was in that battle, including Meyer. It never should have happened.</div></div>

This takes nothing away from Meyer's bravery through the situation. Slicking up a f#@k-up of this magnitude with medals does indeed turn ones stomach, though.

As much as I don't want to say it, and this man is definitely braver than most and would've gone anywhere for most if the same situation was to come about, he didn't meet the 'criteria' of the MOH. The MOH criteria not only states the level of bravery one must show, but also, that their actions turned the tide of the battle. This didn't turn the tide of the battle on the battlefield. Instead it's a whitewash by the brass-asses who want to cover their asses. I agree the Army officers supposed to give fire support should have sent it directly when first called for. This crap of "I'm afraid if I wake up the Col. for permission to fire on the enemy, he'll get mad at me." needs to go. When ANY patrol leaves the wire, fire support is locked and loaded and ready to roll (permission already granted) or the patrol don't leave.

My hat is off to Cpl Meyer. That took a lot of guts. And no matter how stupid it got above you, you did what most of us always have to gut check ourselves to even think about doing.

Now, I hope to see some better leadership to report about soon.

What a brave man. Well done Marine, Well done.

I saw a interview a few days ago with him. He got out because he "had a opportuity to work for a contractor".
    He is a intelligent and capable Marine infantryman. he completed S/S school, which is more demanding ow than when I did it in 82, and that was tough (only 11 out of 18 highly qualified, screened, and selected candidates graduated).
    And he gets out to frame houses and hang drywall? He obviously had survivor;s guilt (completely understandable and appropriate) from what happend, and admitted he didn't like to talk about it because he had to think about it and relive it each time.
    But he said he realizes by doing that, and using the names of the dead and wounded comrades, he sees they are remembered and appreciated. For him it is cathartic, which is understandable and healthy. Lots don't get the opportunity like he does, and will. People just don't understand, or react in a negative way. You can't talk to civilians about that stuff. you gotta hang out at the VFW if you desire a sympathetic and understanding ear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a interview a few days ago with him. He got out because he "had a opportuity to work for a contractor".
    He is a intelligent and capable Marine infantryman. he completed S/S school, which is more demanding ow than when I did it in 82, and that was tough (only 11 out of 18 highly qualified, screened, and selected candidates graduated).
    And he gets out to frame houses and hang drywall? He obviously had survivor;s guilt (completely understandable and appropriate) from what happend, and admitted he didn't like to talk about it because he had to think about it and relive it each time.
    But he said he realizes by doing that, and using the names of the dead and wounded comrades, he sees they are remembered and appreciated. For him it is cathartic, which is understandable and healthy. Lots don't get the opportunity like he does, and will. People just don't understand, or react in a negative way. You can't talk to civilians about that stuff. you gotta hang out at the VFW if you desire a sympathetic and understanding ear.</div></div>

Ahh...the light comes on. When it was said 'contractor', I assumed it was one of the contracting agencies over in A'stan or Iraq, like BW or KBR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ahh...the light comes on. When it was said 'contractor', I assumed it was one of the contracting agencies over in A'stan or Iraq, like BW or KBR. </div></div>
    You were right. He's working for Ausgar, training snipers on optics. But he's staying out of Afghanistan, and doing it here.

www.feraljundi.com/afghanistan/military-news-marine-dakota-meyer-to-receive-the-medal-of-honor