• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Forming 300BLK

bsuabin

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Sorry if that has been answered before. Is there anyone who has taken 5.56 and resized them into 300blk out. Is it worth the time and energy to do it yourself or should you just buy some?

That is precisely what almost everyone that both reloads and shoot a fair amount of 300 AAC does. Try this Google search , there is a ton of information on the web about this, more than can be put in a simple post like this.

Bought 1000 rounds of once fired .223 for $110, that's .11¢ a piece, can't find 300blk brass that cheap.
Check out the 300blktalk.com site, good people there with LOTS of answers

Sorry if that has been answered before. Is there anyone who has taken 5.56 and resized them into 300blk out. Is it worth the time and energy to do it yourself or should you just buy some?

In my opinion, definitely NOT worth forming your own, unless you have the tools already. I've used a dremel, a saw, and the infamous Harbor Freight mini cut-off saw that you have probably found in research of this subject. If you have a Dillon with their motorized trimmer attachment, it may be worth it. If you are forming a few rounds for precision and/or a bolt gun, go for it.

I get sick of forming cases after 20 rounds or so. Much easier to just buy the cases, plus they will already have the primer pocket swaged, which is a PITA in its own right.
-Dan

I've done about 1000 rounds of 300blk. These days I regret chopping up the 5.56 brass, but in October I would have said it is well worth the effort.

With the right tools it is very little more work than loading anything else. I can't imagine trying to do it with a dremel or trimmer. If you don't want to drop the coin on a saw of some sort, I wouldn't recommend giving it a whirl.

Last edited:
I cut about 200pcs of 556 with a drill and a small Ridgid pipe cutter, did it suck? Yes. But I sure didn't have much luck finding any 300 brass on the shelves. As far as the cut goes, I really don't think it's going to reduce brass life much. I FL size everything for my Ar so I really don't expect more than 5-8 times anyway.