• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forming 6.5 PRC out of ???

0002s

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
I can't find, buy or trade for it so guess I can make it.

What would be the best case to cut, size and form from.

I have some 416 Ruger I could use as the base to cut size down. It would basically be a straight walled cartridge being sized down. My guess it I'd have to step it down. I made 300 BLK years a go when you couldn't find it, but a 404 case is going to be moving a lot of brass.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I was able to trade for once fired so I have some to start playing with.

Now I am going to fool around with forming from 416 as a parent to see if it can be done. I do this a lot with obsolete cartridges, but there is going to be a heavy shoulder angle from straight walled case. I am also going to have to make a jig for hold the brass for cutting it down. I am also going to have to step it down.

COVID and time to burn.

Lapua available on backorder from creedmoor sports and euor optic.

As far as forming, the 300 RCM is technically the parent case. I believe it is longer at the shoulder and would require some working and neck turning. By the time you buy the brass and the equipment....well, I'd just wait for a backorder or preorder to come in. In this case the 6.5 PRC is more popular than the parent cartridge, so I see little benefit to forming long term.