• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

prosnippey

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2008
how many different formulas are there?i know there are lots of variables but can some one give me a basic formula and a very advanced formula?

THANK YOU Snippey

Re: formulas?

laugh.gif

Fomulars Ha Ha, cant use a slide rule on the firing line, I just shoot and write down what happens and use the score book for my next shoot.

Hell, I tried to help my 13 year old grandaughter with her math, they are using letters now, WTF

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fomulars Ha Ha, cant use a slide rule on the firing line</div></div>

I use a slide rule on the firing line quite frequently when shooting UKD targets. It's called a Mildot Master.

That stuff will eventually cost you a FORTUNE.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">simalac is one formula i remember well.....</div></div>

Dear Prosnippey:
First by the nature of your question I assume that you are neither a sniper nor a professional marksman. This of course is ok and I am certain you will be welcomed here with open arms. It will be a great place to learn. Your question about formulas is way too generic for anybody to respond without sending you a textbook. If you can be more specific then ask, if not read on through the forums and your answers and even new questions will come to you...

KraigWY...how many shooters here even know what a slide rule is?

Ha Ha
smile.gif

Staff Sergeant: You responded to a question asked 10 months ago by a person who never posted again. That's not a problem, but it probably is a waste of your time. Perhaps someone else will benefit from it.

S/F

Oh great, I get to disagree with you right away. In F-class competition, after you have set your scope according to the sighters, about the last thing you want to do is mess around with the scope for windage. If you have a powerful enough scope, you should hold on the target not twiddle the knobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3,548 give or take 3
tough one
theory of functions of a complex variable
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_analysis
simple one
Fermatts simple theorem
If is a prime number and a natural number, then
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FermatsLittleTheorem.html </div></div>

Funny guy! Cauchy Reiman stuff makes me twitch... I remember that stuff from Grad school.

You should look at what goes into a Singular Integral solution. **hurl**

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stForceRecon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prosnippey,

There are many different formulas; however, though many will argue, the best way to get your dope is by starting at the 100 yd's, moving back every 50 yd's and getting your elevation. All the ballistic software can not substitute for true data at different ranges, different alt, humidity, pressure and so forth. As well, you must ALWAYS document what time you are shooting and where the sun is in reference to your shot, because in the morning you can BZO but in the afternoon with the same dope shooting in the same spot your shot will be off 3 to 6 inces right or left of original impact.

On the other hand, if you want to figure it out yourself, then the formula is:

Bullet drop in inches, divided by distance in hundreds,(example, bullet drop in inches 28" divided by range in hundreds 450 yd's; 28 divided by 4.5 = 6.2 MOA elevation adjustment.

As for wind, you take the range in hundreds, multiply it by the wind velocity and divide it into the range constant (8 mph x 8 [800 yards in hundreds is 8] divided by constant 14 = 4.6 MOA). In other words, 8 x 8 = 64 divided by 14 constant = 4.6.

On the other hand, for wind, we as snipers do not make ANY wind adjustment on our scope, we hold for the wind (unless exceeding 1300 yd's. In other words, the spotter will call out the wind (7 mph from left to right; therefore, hold left, meaning we aim to the left of the target). If the first shot was a miss, then the spotter calls out a wind adjustment such as "hold half mil left, send when ready."

P.S. The most important part of being a sniper (in regards to shooting) is logging in data when you actually fire down range. Practice does NOT make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!!!

Staff Sergeant Jamarino
1st Force Reconnaissance
Marine Scout Sniper </div></div>

Sir I want to thank you. You have, in the first 45min of me being around this forum given me more info then i have gotten in the last 6 months of googleing. I have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out how you guys know how many moa and clicks to adjust. I eagerly look forward to speaking with you and learning far more about long range shooting. I will tell you that i just joined this forum and im quite new to long range shooting. I do have one question for you right now if you find the time (or this post) and can help me out. I'm wondering when you say drop are you talking about drop from muzzle or drop from zero?

load: 30-06 hornady 150Gr sst 58Gr IMR4850 MV about 2900FPS.

Im assuming your talking about drop from zero but I just want to make sure. Once again Im new to this and am still trying to grasp the basics forgive my ignorance.

Thank you for your time and knowledge, Keith

Most always when we talk about drop, we're talking about drop from a short-range zero, usually 100 yards or meters.

Talk a look at the JBM Trajectory calculator, which is here:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.0.cgi

If you look at the bottom of that screen, you will normally want to check both "Elevation correction for zero range" and "Target relative drops".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stForceRecon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As well, you must ALWAYS document what time you are shooting and where the sun is in reference to your shot, because in the morning you can BZO but in the afternoon with the same dope shooting in the same spot your shot will be off 3 to 6 inces right or left of original impact.</div></div>SSGT, I'm not looking for a reason to argue with you, and I understand the concept behind lighting, but, try as I might, by dope doesn't change 3-6" in the afternoons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stForceRecon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As well, you must ALWAYS document what time you are shooting and where the sun is in reference to your shot, because in the morning you can BZO but in the afternoon with the same dope shooting in the same spot your shot will be off 3 to 6 inces right or left of original impact.</div></div>SSGT, I'm not looking for a reason to argue with you, and I understand the concept behind lighting, but, try as I might, by dope doesn't change 3-6" in the afternoons. </div></div>

Mine either....unless he's talking about really long range....??

That 3 to 6 inches is very likely the error inducing lunar drift as explained by our illustrious leader Frank.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gkXqynN_xs&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8gkXqynN_xs&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-Xgoj4pL0Q&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-Xgoj4pL0Q&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most always when we talk about drop, we're talking about drop from a short-range zero, usually 100 yards or meters.

Talk a look at the JBM Trajectory calculator, which is here:

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.0.cgi

If you look at the bottom of that screen, you will normally want to check both "Elevation correction for zero range" and "Target relative drops".
</div></div>

Splendid thank you. gosh so much to learn I don't know where to start lol. If you guys don't mind I have one more question but its a bit off topic.

I'm looking at getting a remington 700 sps varmint to start with and then im looking at putting it in a aics stock with a nightforce scope. Is this a good base to start with or is there anything much better? I always wanted a remington 700. (I love the action) so yeah sorry to go off topic i wont do it again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avgjoekeith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Splendid thank you. gosh so much to learn I don't know where to start lol. If you guys don't mind I have one more question but its a bit off topic.
I'm looking at getting a remington 700 sps varmint to start with and then im looking at putting it in a aics stock with a nightforce scope. Is this a good base to start with or is there anything much better? I always wanted a remington 700. (I love the action) so yeah sorry to go off topic i wont do it again. </div></div>

Yes, that is a very good base and yes, there is much better but it will cost you a lot more coin.

okie

thanks okie. im trying to keep the whole thing at or below 5K. seeing as im unemployed right now im not going to be getting anything but i really want to make goals. Say you wouldn't be able to point me to some more info about the AICS and just how much better it is could you? i mean is it really worth a 900 bucks im just wanting to stay sub moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avgjoekeith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks okie. im trying to keep the whole thing at or below 5K. seeing as im unemployed right now im not going to be getting anything but i really want to make goals. Say you wouldn't be able to point me to some more info about the AICS and just how much better it is could you? i mean is it really worth a 900 bucks im just wanting to stay sub moa. </div></div>

Not really up on the AICS. I've handled a couple but never fired. They're very well built but heavy and even with the adjustments, I never could get really comfortable with it. If I had to get something high dollar, I think I'd go with a McMillan or Manners. Hell, I'm a lot more comfortable behind my B&C Tactical.

For 5K you can get a full blown custom, your options would be many. I'm sure some of these guys and gals could suggest some custom shops, I'm sure GAP woild be included. Good luck and have fun with it.

okie

thanks. i think i handled a mcmil and i didn't like the.. palm swel? i think that's the right word and im trying to keep the rifle belo 2 or 2500 im looking at a night force scope and thats 2000. soooo yeah thanks again though

Mr. Jamarino also known as 1st Force Recon, and all who shall see these presents, Greetings,

I have been one of many who have been monitoring your posts on several sites’ forums. We have noticed some inconsistencies with your statements regarding service with 1st Force Reconnaissance. The majority of us having been Recon Marines, have unanimously agreed that your posts just do not make sense. So we’ve taken the time to investigate many of your claims to having been with 1st Force Reconnaissance during 1999, being a Sniper instructor, and the rank you claim to be. Several of us have served at these units during the late 90’s as well as other Reconnaissance or special operations units in different branches.

Since we first emailed you on 1/27/10 you have deleted your Facebook account and have edited your posts on these forums changing what you originally said. One can tell because every one of your posts have been edited around the same time. None of that matters really since screenshots have already been collected. It is quite odd that you refuse to answer your email or these posts.

Not one person who served in 1st Force Reconnaissance during the late 1990’s can recall a “JAMARINO GH” or “Will Jamarino” whether that be a Gunnery Sergeant http://www.sniperinfo.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1341&postcount=1 or a Staff Sergeant http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1479629#Post1479629 We find it quite odd that you would demote yourself. Now, doing a simple search on google for JAMARINO GH leads to this http://www.marines.mil/news/messages/Pages/2005/Messages0516.aspx which appears to be an Inactive Ready Reserve Staff Sergeant selection board announcement. That makes a little sense because your Facebook pictures have you in Dress Blues with Sergeant Chevrons on. Your name can be found next to your Military Occupational Specialty of Motor Transport (3500). You claim to have served in “the same company as Rudy Reyes”, however, he never served with 1st Force Reconnaissance Company and does not know you, nor does he remember you going to dive school with him as you also claim. He was your friend on Facebook before you deleted your account. Searching through all your posts made at www.officer.com is where we find you claim to have been a sniper instructor at 3rd Marine Division. What in fact you mean is 3rd Marine Regiment and no you also are not known there either. Your email address of [email protected] brought us to your Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/Jamarino where it stated you graduated from high school in 1995 and you completed graduate studies at “John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York ‘08” for “Law and Procedure”. However, we have found that the John Jay Graduate School does not offer a concentration in "Law and Procedure". If you had graduated it would have been with a Criminal Justice Ph.D. Likewise, John Jay requires a dissertation for graduation from their Ph.D program. Those dissertations are housed in the Lloyd Sealy Library Special Collections and there is no record of anyone by last-name "Jamarino" having written a dissertation. No record for a dissertation authored by last-name "Jamarino" exists in the CUNY Union Catalog. No record for a dissertation authored by last-name "Jamarino" exists in the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Database. No information exists on the CUNY Graduate Center website for a last-name "Jamarino" having written or defended a dissertation, graduated, attended, or in any other way been involved in the John Jay Criminal Justice Ph.D program. We did find that you graduated from the University of Phoenix Online in summer 2009 with a B.S. How fitting!

Sadly, it does look like you have had some service in the Marine Corps. Most likely with 1st ANGLICO which is why you mention a “Master Sergeant Dillard” in one of your posts, though your description is quite a bit exaggerated from the truth. This also explains why you seem to be knowledgeable about 1st Force since they WERE only about a mile away during the late 1990’s. Additionally, your youtube channel, http://www.youtube.com/user/JamarinoG#p/f has quite a bit of Recon training videos on it. You’ve removed the video you had posted of yourself shooting a rifle while wearing your utilities with Jump wings and a Scuba bubble but that doesn’t matter. It is quite possible that from these videos you have learned enough to bullshit with the average guy who doesn’t know any better. You have also taken some civilian sniper courses offered here, http://www.sniperschool.com/ ,so that is why you appear to be knowledgeable while posting at www.sniperinfo.com and www.snipershide.com

You see, what people like you fail to understand is that the Marine Corps is a very small community and there is no better example of the “six degrees of separation” than among Marines. However, within Marine Reconnaissance this separation is more like one or two degrees. That means that if you are a Recon Marine and you run into another guy claiming to be a Recon Marine, between the two of you there will be someone that you both know personally. With this wealth of lies you have built up it begs to question if you have been truthful with these agencies you have applied to. I guess you think that these sites are either run by wanna-bes like yourself or people with no power to search records, but I assure you they are not. There are people who have served with recon, sniper, and special operations units and are now high level civilian, federal, and military employees. Your actions here can have devastating effects on your future, if in fact you are seeking a Federal position.
So I will close with this one last statement; People like you are the leeches of society sucking blood from the sacrifices of braver men than yourself, and soon you will find that you fucked with the wrong group of people.

What do you have to say for yourself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wtf? </div></div>

I believe that was a public service announcement that the Poser posting under the name "1stForceRecon" was never a Reconnaissance Marine and certainly never served with the 1st Force Reconnaissance Company.

There are enough Veterans here that I'm sure his horseshit would have been spotted and eventually drown him. His screw-up was he allowed this trash to dribble from his pie hole to a real Reconnaissance Marine who spotted his B.S. from a mile away.

It was odd when as Lindy stated that he responded to a 10 month old thread that was long dead. I figured something was up when he pointed it out. I guess Lindy has a good B.S. meter.

Don't know why someone would be so uncomfortable in their own mind to need to make that stuff up. I was a Marine in the 80's. No one special just part of the larger machine and was more into firearms before and after the Marine Corps than I was during it. But than again nothing really happened during my time in. Shortly after Granada and was done before the Gulf war.

I went over the posters sites and it kind of makes me want to string the guy up. It appears it is not a wild exaggeration but just an outright lie. Maybe a good sock in the eye may bring him around to an appology?

To be honest, when this thread was running, I thought it was strange that this guy tried to check Lindy into the boards with info that was off. Given his stated experience, he didn't get some very fundamental things. I'm not piling on, just confirming that this didn't pass the smell test along the way. Be interesting to see if it pans out.

I posted this a while back and it really applies here

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the exception of a VERY small handful of guys here, I assume that I am conversing with a 15 year old kid on his laptop at the mall. It matters not as to when he/she/it registered or how many times they had a high opinion of their opinion (posts). And the times I hear, "You don't know who you're talking to...he's the real shit" I just assume that the said 15 year old's 14 year old buddy has chimed in from his mom's computer in the den. </div></div>

Words of wisdom.

I try to evaluate people's arguments, and not depend upon what they say their background is.

I have heard completely bogus arguments from real no-kidding high-speed low-drag hard guys, who were just repeating what they were told.

I have heard new truth from people who have fired fewer rounds than I've eaten hot meals.

One of James A. Michener's characters said, "My father said I should respect his 57 years of experience. What he has is one year of experience repeated 57 times."

It is regrettably possible to become old without becoming wise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What he has is one year of experience repeated 57 times. </div></div>

aint that the sad truth
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Words of wisdom.

I try to evaluate people's arguments, and not depend upon what they say their background is.

I have heard completely bogus arguments from real no-kidding high-speed low-drag hard guys, who were just repeating what they were told.

I have heard new truth from people who have fired fewer rounds than I've eaten hot meals.

One of James A. Michener's characters said, "My father said I should respect his 57 years of experience. What he has is one year of experience repeated 57 times."

It is regrettably possible to become old without becoming wise.
</div></div>

Beautifully put.