• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Forster or RCBS Collet Bullet Puller or Hornady Cam-Lock Bullet Puller

vitalemj

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
The Hornady Cam-Lock looks faster but Forster/RCBS Collet type pullers look like they might do less damage if used carefully. Which do you prefer and why?

I have the RCBS Collet puller and the only damage I see is from where the bullet comes out of the neck. No marks on the bullet from the puller.

I have the rcbs and use it in a coax. Its a pain as you have to torque the rcbs collet down rotationally but the forster allows it to spin so I have to jam a wrench in along the lock ring to keep it from spinning. Once I get it jammed up though it works just fine. The hornady would have been a much better purchase for my set up.

The Hornady Cam-Lock looks faster but Forster/RCBS Collet type pullers look like they might do less damage if used carefully. Which do you prefer and why?

Damage would be a result of neck tension or adherence, I can tell you the Hornady will do less damage than the rcbs, I've had both, No experience with Forster, looks slow, made for the design of their coax press.

Milo 2.5, thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Hornaday looks like a better design, faster and easier to use. Some SLUG on youtube with a chipped up collet was claiming it ruined his bullets. Wanted to make sure it was a result of user error and not something common in the design.

Milo 2.5, thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Hornaday looks like a better design, faster and easier to use. Some SLUG on youtube with a chipped up collet was claiming it ruined his bullets. Wanted to make sure it was a result of user error and not something common in the design.

Setting the Hornady up is the key, I do by hand before inserting it in the press, if you buy it will come to you.

I have Hornady collet pullers in my main rifle calibers and would not dream of using anything else. Once setup, they only need to be screwed down to the stop nut and go. Super fast.

Also a Hornady collet puller fan. I own the Forster and wasn't happy with it. After using the Hornady puller, I won't use any other. The cam lock is great. Yes, it takes a little understanding to set the cam up properly, but it's a user education issue. Once you learn how to use it, it is easy.

I have Hornady collet pullers in my main rifle calibers and would not dream of using anything else. Once setup, they only need to be screwed down to the stop nut and go. Super fast.

Agghh, leaving tension or pressure on the collets full time will render them useless after awhile.

I use the hornady cam lock and it works very well. I leave it threaded into one of the positions on my old Lyman turret press but when not in use Ieave the handle up so there is no pressure on the collet.

Agghh, leaving tension or pressure on the collets full time will render them useless after awhile.

When stored in its original square tube box, the collet handle is up leaving the collet relaxed.

The setup I'm talking about is the setup of the body thread length and collet depth so that the collet mouth doesn't hit the case mouth when the press stroke is at full travel upwards with a cartridge in the shell holder for bullet removal.

This isn't my first rodeo

I used to go with a Forster bullet puller, but replaced it with grip -n- pull. I found it simpler and easier to use
https://grip-n-pull.com/
GRIP-N-PULL-home.png

I was grandfathered a RCBS bullet puller and have been really happy with it in a LNL bushing in a RCBS press. I wouldn't use it in a coax style press.

Have only used the Hornady and see no reason to try anything else as it works very well. The only downside is the need to purchase multiple collets for each caliber.