• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Fort Benning Hunting

joe90

Private
Minuteman
I go to school in MD and am going down to Ft Benning Ga for Collegiate Pistol Nationals in a couple weeks. I was wondering if anyone on here had any information on hunting hogs there. I would probably only get a day in but I've always wanted to give hog hunting a try. I'm not sure how or where to get a permit and I'm guessing I will need a non-resident GA hunting license. Also any tips or good areas to go if anyone on here has hunted there before would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Re: Fort Benning Hunting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Southbreeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are going to be in Rod Pinkston's back yard. If you want a hoot, look him up at www.jagerpro.com Schedule a night thermal hunt with an AR10.

Good luck,
Breeze</div></div>

+1 Just got back with from a hunt with Jagerpro and it was awesome. 1st night we killed 6, second night rained out. But a great trip none the less.

Eddie

That looks absolutely awesome but they are booked up for the week I'm down there. I would love to do that kind of guided hunt but the prices for them all are a little much for my budget. That's why I was looking at getting a non resident license and trying to get a permit for Fort Benning. Maybe next year I can save a little up and plan a little more in advance and do one of those night hunts.

I've done quite a bit of hunting on Benning, both for hogs and deer. It's been a while since I've been there so I can't really tell you any good spots but I can offer a little insight into the base requirements.

You need a GA license with a Ft. Benning sticker to hunt the base. If you are military or retired military getting the sticker is a simple matter of going to the MWR and getting one. I typically just bought my hunting license there and just did it all in one shot. Both the main post MWR and the one at Uchee Creek rec area on the Alabama side of the base can do this.

If you aren't active or retired military you need to find someone who is and hunt as their guest. There were a few regulations on this that I can't remember but I do know there was a limit on number of guests and a time limit (It was a few days if I remember right). The host does have to be with you to hunt.

Benning also has a pretty strict weapons policy pertaining to hunting. You are allowed to have a firearm in your vehicle only if you are going to or from an "approved activity". Hunting is one of those. Firearm must be unloaded and stored either in the trunk of your car or in the backseat storage area of a pickup truck. Ammo must be kept separately. I believe you are supposed to register your firearms with the post too but I'm not sure how that works for a temporary guest.

You are required to check into and out of the hunting area you are in using an automated system. It will also tell you if the area you plan on hunting is open for hunting at the moment (they close some of the areas depending on training on the base) and also how many other hunters are in the area. There are a few archery only areas and I believe there were a couple of shotgun/pistol only areas too. You can find out where the boundaries of these areas are by purchasing a Ft. Benning hunting map when you get your license and sticker. Well worth the $5 or so that it will cost you.

The only other thing I can think of is you are required to wear blaze orange while hunting.

Hope this helps you out and sorry about the long post. Good luck out there.