• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

forward assist .308 bolt carrier.

mjsemtex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
nj meadowlands.
i'm looking specifically in DPMS format for someone who actually makes a forward assist compatible bolt carrier.

there seem to be plenty of uppers out there with the assist but, not so many bolt carriers with the teeth to engage them.

if i'm going to have it on the side of the upper, i'd rather it actually do something.

Re: forward assist .308 bolt carrier.

Unlike the AR-15 where the FA pushes on the side of the carrier through use of the serrations, the DPMS LR-308 rifles do not operate that way.

The FA on the LR-308 pushes on the rear of the BCG, so the serrations are NOT necessary.

This is why many opt for slick-side uppers without the FA because it is nearly useless on the LR-308 since it is only capable of engaging and moving the carrier forward a slight amount.

try the RRA 308. i think thats the only one that has what you seek

cd96b7e4524f9510644b81ae50c67c5b.jpg

understanding how the LR-308 works compared to the AR-15, it makes more sense to me now.

thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjsemtex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so, this is another way that the armalite and dpms formats differ? </div></div>

Yep.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjsemtex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">understanding how the LR-308 works compared to the AR-15, it makes more sense to me now.

thanks. </div></div>

There ARE DPMS/KAC pattern rifles that use a more traditional serrated BCG with the forward assist (like the POF for example).

I had the same question once about the bolt carrier that I purchased from Fulton Armory...why no serrations? I spoke with Clint, and his answer was that " unlike the AR15, if the 308 buffer spring doesn't close the bolt you have no business pounding it shut"
Never forgot it and it makes sense to me....

I am looking into this right now and have the same question. Why would the MA-Ten upper that I'm going to build off of have the forward assist if I can't find a bolt carrier to make use of that feature.

IS the above actually accurate? Does the FA really push on the back of the carrier instead of where the serrations would be on an AR-15?

I.E. If I pushed the FA with a JP low mass 308 carrier installed, what would happen?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I am looking into this right now and have the same question. Why would the MA-Ten upper that I'm going to build off of have the forward assist if I can't find a bolt carrier to make use of that feature.

IS the above actually accurate? Does the FA really push on the back of the carrier instead of where the serrations would be on an AR-15?

I.E. If I pushed the FA with a JP low mass 308 carrier installed, what would happen? </div></div>

What are you talking about? The MA TEN does NOT have a forward assist...just the shell deflector.

As for the rest...YES...the FA on the LR-308 really does engage the rear of the BCG. Other DPMS/KAC rifles employ different FA setups (like the POF as I mentioned before which has the FA in a different position and actually has serrations as found on typical AR-15 carriers).

I can't comment on the JP Low Mass LR-308 compatible carrier and its operation in a FA-equipped LR-308, but I see no reason that it would not operate in a similar manner than the standard carrier as there is still material on the rear of the carrier where the FA would engage. I suggest you getting in touch with someone at JP's tech dep't if you have further questions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What are you talking about? The MA TEN does NOT have a forward assist...just the shell deflector.
</div></div>

Sorry, to clarify. I have the new monolithic upper coming (which as I understand) actually does have a forward assist on it, unlike the non monolithic uppers. Hopefully this will be in the same place as the DPMS FA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JW Snydes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry, to clarify. I have the new monolithic upper coming (which as I understand) actually does have a forward assist on it, unlike the non monolithic uppers. Hopefully this will be in the same place as the DPMS FA. </div></div>

Ah...that makes more sense. Here...if you have not seen these yet, there might be some addt'l info on the FA option for the monolithic upper when it becomes available:

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?2914-MEGA-MA-TEN-.308-Monolithic-Upper

Good luck with your search! If you find anything out, I am sure others here will be interested in finding out as well.

I have purchased a MA TEN monolithic and according to these pictures the FA is non-existent on the production models. Maybe something to update the thread on once it comes in....