• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing found a buck...

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
...while woodchuck / crow hunting yesterday. the pictures are kinda sucky, cell phone through a scope at a moving target.
deerthruscope.jpg

buckthruscope.jpg

buckthruscopecloseup3.jpg

with "real life" stealing my in the field time and scouting time, i was stoked to see him. was with 4 other bucks, he seemed to be the leader.

...perhaps he found me!

lots of turkeys too
turkeythroughscope.jpg

found a set of bear tracks along the other side of the field. looks like it may be a productive year for me, even with my time constraints.

Re: found a buck...

is the top picture about 250 yards away if I am reading your mils correctly?

honestly, i don't recall what power the scope was on at the time, for any of the pictures, just trying to manage the cell camera, focusing, and well finding the darn thing in the scope with the phone blocking my vision.

was more interested in taking a snapshot of the critter than a ranging picture. i thought about that afterward.

so the picture is a bit deceiving on the ranging end of things, but that side of the field is 165 yards from where i was, the pic with the head down was 10 yards further, head up about 10 yards further. as it traveled into the "L" shaped portion of the field.

i gotta lget a digital camera for my pack, it'll make these moments a bit more clear, and offer more time to do the "ranging pic" thing.

I was thinking FFP...anyways it is really cool to see game early in the season. Only three more months to bow season. It is coming up quickly.

yeah, i was an archery purest, not touching a rifle for nearly 15 years. big game, small game, in between game, i always took the bow.

once again with the job, the house, the wife, the kid - can't get out and scout like i used to, or get to get out to hunt like i used to. for that matter, no time to practice either, don't want to end up wounding something.

i actually sold my archery stuff, as i'd be lucky rather than good to harvest something, and i'd rather be good than lucky.

hopefully this buck will make it through to the first monday after thanksgiving, our opening day of "rifle season"

then again, i've been known to pass up on such an "easy" shot with a rifle, so who knows until the moment of truth comes, if it does.

Nice buck, maybe he'll stay in the area so you can get him this fall.

Nice buck, they are getting close with horn development. Some seem to be a little behind on development here. Cant wait to see what we have this year on our farm. Really makes waiting for season hard. Just put out the 5th camera last week should have some good ones soon.