• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Found my old Redfield, no idea what I should use it for.

Newlongrange

Private
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2021
Central Ohio
I finally found that old Redfield 5 star that I mentioned in another thread.

I can’t get a decent picture of the reticule but it’s from early to mid 90’s, so it’s practically an antique by today’s scope standards.

It’s basic crosshairs so no mil dots or anything “ fancy “. Any suggestions as to the best use for this these days? It was my fathers and I remember the death threats he would give me if he seen me messing with it so I would like to find a use for it.

77C259C5-F590-49D8-8281-427AF84E085D.jpeg
F0E364F4-5B14-42B4-82B3-0D44ED413734.jpeg
080F89AF-4D63-45CE-A4B6-5BAB1896A91D.jpeg
1612EDA0-0F4F-4ABE-8750-F40452AB29AF.jpeg

How are the turrets? Can you dial dope for different distances with them and keep track of where you are? I'm sure the elevation has no zero stop.

If you can, it might make an OK varmint scope.

Otherwise it's pretty useless.

Is it still clear? Throw it on any hunting rifle (my opinion wood stock is best) decide which distance Max ord you feel comfortable with and learn where the bullet impacts in between. Hours and hours of fun to be had with Dad's legacy, whether varmint or big game. Maybe pass to your own kids.

It’s crystal clear.

Basically sat in a box ( not original box) for 25 years. Was mounted on an old savage 308 until my father sold it but kept the scope.

What about the turrets? See my previous question.

Likely this one.

Attachments

• IMG_20210616_182455437_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210616_182455437_HDR.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 36
Many years ago i had a Redfield widefield scope and for the time it was a good scope.

Likely this one.

Looks like 0.5 IPHY adjustments.

I guess it'll work alright for a nostalgia build, but that's about it.

If it doesn't have sentimental value, the best thing to do is find out where Redfield collectors hang out and sell it to them.

If you have a rifle of your father's, I'd start there. They were decent for there time, but a bit heavy as I recall.

Is there a decent 30-06 bolt gun or similar handed down? Some of the best family treasures have more sentimental value than real.

If you have a rifle of your father's, I'd start there. They were decent for there time, but a bit heavy as I recall.

Is there a decent 30-06 bolt gun or similar handed down? Some of the best family treasures have more sentimental value than real.
An old enfield, would look odd though but might be the best route.

I have an old Redfield Golden Five Star in 3-9x that still sits on my first rifle I ever bought at 14. Took me 7-1/2 months of yard work around the neighborhood to pay for that rifle (700 BDL) and scope. I still have that setup and still use it, although I keep the scope on 6x and don't touch a thing. It is still plenty bright for normal use, and for nostalgic reasons I'll never mess with it (although I do have other hunting rigs).