• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Found this bolt in the woods…. Help w/ ID?

Megastink

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Eastern PA, USA
Found this bolt while deer hunting. Can someone help me ID it? Could be the start of an unexpected build!

Attachments

• 4042A857-3B2E-46BD-9132-547255623833.jpeg
    4042A857-3B2E-46BD-9132-547255623833.jpeg
    642.6 KB · Views: 425
  • CEC00B15-5CE0-465C-A5AA-E5A49BFC3729.jpeg
    CEC00B15-5CE0-465C-A5AA-E5A49BFC3729.jpeg
    684.5 KB · Views: 420
I’d agree with the consensus- identical to my Weatherby Vanguard bolt.

Losing a bolt out of a rifle in the woods? I......suppose......it`s possible for a bolt to fall out? Just wondering. Then again, there`s probably enough stuff lost in the woods and fields every year to stock a small sporting goods store! Turkey hunters are notorious for losing stuff!

Reactions: lash
Losing a bolt out of a rifle in the woods? I......suppose......it`s possible for a bolt to fall out? Just wondering. Then again, there`s probably enough stuff lost in the woods and fields every year to stock a small sporting goods store! Turkey hunters are notorious for losing stuff!
Many places walking in and out of your stand before and after shooting hours requires your gun to be unloaded. Loaded gun is considered hunting walking through woods

Likely guy had his bolt open to show empty or forgot to close it after unloading. Walking out with a sling rifle and hit the release for the bolt. Out she comes

I know on my Tikka it wouldn’t be hard to bump the release when slung

Reactions: Taylorbok
Many places walking in and out of your stand before and after shooting hours requires your gun to be unloaded. Loaded gun is considered hunting walking through woods

Likely guy had his bolt open to show empty or forgot to close it after unloading. Walking out with a sling rifle and hit the release for the bolt. Out she comes

I know on my Tikka it wouldn’t be hard to bump the release when slung
Is it Illegal to hunt while walking through the woods? That sounds crazy to me.

In Louisiana, if you are walking along a recognized road, with a loaded rifle (or shotgun) during hunting season, you can be cited for hunting within 50 feet of the centerline of the road. Recognized roads are just about anything that has two parallel tracks that are not on a someone’s farm.

While this may sound unreasonable. I can kinda understand. In the old days, when deer were really scarce, the only productive method to deer hunting for most was to hunt with dogs. The dogs would be turned loose in a patch of woods and hunters would be stationed along a road opposite of the patch. Well people use those roads for transportation and getting a bullet intended for a deer though your windshield while driving along can be somewhat disconcerting.

When we had our farm at Downsville, Big groups of dog hunters, would congregate with loaded rifles just across the road. Did not feel our picture windows would do much to protect our then toddler aged son from stray bullets as he played in our living room. So, I tend to agree.

Funny part of the story. They were sitting out on the road waiting for their dogs to chase deer that might be coming from the east, I would head out to my little patch of woods and see plenty of deer (jsut to the west) but, the area was heavily fenced on the road side and protected on the opposite side by a large area of private, posted land so the dog hunters never could access it.

Me, I hunt in the woods on a private tract, but since I have to walk along a logging road, to get to the hunting area, I carry my heavy revolver, depending on my Conceal Carry license for protection against the stray hog I might cross paths with and my hunting rifle unloaded (and usually cased)

Reactions: lash
Okay, that makes sense. I guess that I wasn’t thinking of walking along a road. I totally understand and appreciate the hunting from a road issue.

I agree best bet option is to try and find the owner, like mentioned doesn't look like it was there long. Plus I don't see it being beneficial to try and get an action with out a bolt, unless you stumble on one at a garage sale or something.

No

I’m specifically referring to a hunter walking into his blind before daylight or out after dark. Where one would be carrying the gun outside of legal shooting hours so they can be set up at daylight or leave the stand at night

Reactions: lash and Taylorbok
Call Weatherby and let them know you found it and where, I'm sure the owner of the bolt may call Weatherby trying to find a replacement.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick