• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

found this on gun broker

Re: found this on gun broker

i bought a gun once from some whacko that went by SonOfSam, strange feller

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i bought a gun once from some whacko that went by SonOfSam, strange feller</div></div>
Was it a .44?

Looks like you've started a "POS Wallhanger of the Week" thread!
laugh.gif

That cheek rest looks like a giant set of ass cheeks.

Not to my taste but probably of value to someone into such things. Geez, the economy is getting that bad that the Leupold family is having a yard sale? I thought guns and gun stuff were selling well.

Actually a pretty spectacular rifle going for cheap.

The style is not for everyone, but the Schuetzen rifles are incredibly accurate and have a great following. The workmanship in making these rifles (which were often fitted to owners who used some very unorthodox shooting positions) is amazing. The Swiss Martini action is first rate.

The rifles were used for Saturday competitions all over Germany, Austria and Switzerland during the 19th and early 20th century. The tradition came to America and there are still a lot of Schuetzen matches held around the country. And these guys can SHOOT!

If it doesn't bump up, I'll be bidding on this as I've always wanted a Schuetzen. Other than the fact that some clownshoes carved their name in the stock and the finish is faded, this is a primo example for about 1/4 of market price.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i bought a gun once from some whacko that went by SonOfSam, strange feller </div></div>

huh...I wonder if it was that Charter Arms .44 bulldog I sold to a guy by the same name :p

--Wintermute

I would love a Schuetzen. Have a buddy who's grandfather has one as a wall hanger. Its a shame.

There are a couple of guys at my range that are big into single shots. See them there every Sat morning. They wear them out at 200 yards.

Breach seat, decap/prime the case at the bench, throw the charge, put in a cork plug, load, close and shoot. repeat often.

They use the same piece of brass 1000s of times.

8.15x46R, rimmed ctg. I have a Oberndorf Mauser single shot 98 made for the '36 Olympics in that cal, so it was considered very accurate. The Mauser is odd, as the action has a built in cover with just a small RH port. Very stiff, solid bottom action. Cool stuff.

In 1928 the U.S. International shooting team actually used Martini's with stocks similar to the one pictured besides 1903 Springfields. Swiss Hammerli firm produced the Martini action for some of the team members and guess what caliber it was? .30-06.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sirhrmechanic,

I AM IMPRESSED . . . !!! Good depth and breadth of knowledge.</div></div>

These rifles really speak to me...

I followed this one up to about $800 and quit. It was still a bargain, but went beyond what I wanted to pay for its condition, which was probably GI bringback. I'll have one someday! I shoot Tactical Tupperware for work... but for collecting, I like cold-rust-blued steel, hand carved wood, Rose and scroll-engraving and fine lines. Been collecting 'the good stuff' for more than 30 years.

The display of Scheutzen rifles at the NRA's National Firearms Museum is just breathtaking if you ever get down there. And there are great photos of positional shooting as part of the display.

Cheers,

Sirhr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually a pretty spectacular rifle going for cheap.

The style is not for everyone, but the Schuetzen rifles are incredibly accurate and have a great following. The workmanship in making these rifles (which were often fitted to owners who used some very unorthodox shooting positions) is amazing. The Swiss Martini action is first rate.

The rifles were used for Saturday competitions all over Germany, Austria and Switzerland during the 19th and early 20th century. The tradition came to America and there are still a lot of Schuetzen matches held around the country. And these guys can SHOOT!

If it doesn't bump up, I'll be bidding on this as I've always wanted a Schuetzen. Other than the fact that some clownshoes carved their name in the stock and the finish is faded, this is a primo example for about 1/4 of market price.

Cheers,

Sirhr</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">+1!</span>

Many of you might not know how popular these were back in the day but they could shoot some pretty damn good circles! For those who have older longtime heros in the gun world, like I do in Ned Roberts, you might understand what these are all about. Ned Roberts, for whom the .257 Roberts is named, was a huge fan of Scheutzen rifles and matches with them. In fact he has a book on that very subject.

Edit:

Most were in 8.15x46. there were also a lot of .38-40's, .38-45's and .38-55's

I make my brass from 30-30 cases. Projectiles from buffalo bullets. They are fun. My rear aperture even zooms in like an adjustable scope
91ea79e5.jpg

plastikosmd,

That is one beautiful rifle!

For those of you who may not see it. Some great things about these:

The stocks on these were very much customized to the shooter. Length of pull and the 'cup' of the cheekrest and even the length and thickness of the 'hook'. It all goes to making the shooter the most comfortable he/she could be.

The cocking/hadhold on these was customized to the shooter as well. Note that the grip drops straight down (same position as new tactical styles) and is held in many cases like a pistol grip. The bare metal ribbon allows easier working to make the metal perfectly fit the hand.

The hook allows the off hand to come in close and let the weight forward to weigh down and the hook naturally balances that weight into the armpit. When the offhand is brought closer to the body it gives a straight down structural support to the rifle. Thereby, letting the bone structure support the rifle instead of the muscles.

Every detail of these is thought out and quite a useable system.

Now, I have to ask, What action is yours plastikosmd?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plastikosmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make my brass from 30-30 cases. Projectiles from buffalo bullets. They are fun. My rear aperture even zooms in like an adjustable scope
91ea79e5.jpg
</div></div>

Utterly gorgeous. Did you have it refitted to you? Detailed pictures?

Amazing piece of kit.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Haenel Aydt

Not made for me but it fits well. The trigger is the most sensitive of all of my guns. Once u have it 'set' there is a bar to rest your finger on. You never touch the firing trigger as any pressure at all will set it off. You can see the stainless piece that I am talking about below. Not a safe queen by any means.
23777798.jpg

Bore
cbf12b94.jpg

Sight
c715e8b1.jpg

WOW, that is beautiful. What is the range of a 30-30 case with buffalo bullets?

The rear aperture zooms like a scope, could you describe this please?

Range, I usually shoot at 100-200 yards. I use smokeless, 4227, 13-14.5 grains. The aperture has lenses in it. It has a zoom like feature. Not much, a couple of x but it is nice as it effectively changes the front sight appearance/size for different range distances/target sizes.

To put the skills of the Schutzen shooters in a bit of historical context...

Morgans Riflemen (U.S. Revolutionary War) were largely Pennsylvania Dutch, Swiss and German immigrants... and they brought their rifles into a war dominated by smooth-bore muskets.

In the Civil War, Berdans Sharpshooters were heavily recruited from Schutzen and rifle marksmen. Especially the NY, VT, NH and Wisconsin companies. Most used their own rifles and dressed in their own green uniforms.

WW1, Germany made heavy use of snipers and schutzen-jager (shooter hunters)... they even had a whole batallion called the Garde-Schützen-Bataillon... heavily recruited from schutzen marksmen.

Today's military sniper and LE marksmen can trace their lineage directly to the shooters (and gunsmiths) involved in this sport and who developed these rifles and skills.

In the video, the narrator says that gunsmiths "lavished attention onto these guns." He wasn't kidding. These were the GAP/TRG/AI/etc. of their day. If you ever get to handle one at a gun show or shop... look closely. The workmanship is unreal.

And I would bet that out to 200 yds, the Schutzen rifles shoot just as accurately as anything today's finest precision rifle 'smiths can build. And that's not a slam on today's smiths... but a compliment!

Again, someday, I want one of these!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Thank u for the video. Sadly, My only shooting partner for schutzen and my benchrest Blackpowder guns is the Internet.I learned some things from the video. I have a new schuetzen coming and will update w pics for those interested

The new one
pix552634285.jpg

pix544030975.jpg

pix955786819.jpg

Variable aperture rear sight with 1.5 x mag. Built 1909. 8.15x46

Fantastic!! Those old guys loved shooting and were great shots. thanks for the skinny, photos. I know a lot of shooters today that can not hit a bull in the ass at 50 yards freehanded.

Looks like the rifle the Doc used in Back to the Future III

I have to say that the engraving is awesome, but that is one ugly rifle and I would not want to touch it, it's kinda creepy.

You guys that think that rifle is ugly dont appreciate fine German craftsmanship.That rifle was built by hand for a certain person to fit him like a glove for off hand target shooting . It was liberated by some soldier most likely . Arnie

That's not ugly...the Scheutzen stock I made for a Winchester 1885 single shot back 25 years ago, now THAT was ugly! Decided that I had no talent for carving fancy curlicues on wood. Finally took it off, and made a normal Winchester 1885 style stock last year. The hook buttplate weighed about 2 lbs.

I don't think I liked the way they looked at first either. Hold one and shoot one, that changed my mind. Frankly I don't think there is a more comfortable way to precision shoot while standing. It makes it easy

I wonder who was stock maker. Never seen stock exactly like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plastikosmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make my brass from 30-30 cases. Projectiles from buffalo bullets. They are fun. My rear aperture even zooms in like an adjustable scope
91ea79e5.jpg
</div></div>

Pistol grip ... old style

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RogueHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yuck</div></div>

Hi Rogue... appreciate your meaningful comments on a spectactuar modern Scheutzen.

What's that today... 20+ worthless posts in a single day... dredging up old threads and on your 101st post, you are selling garbage in the PX and trolling for bumps?

Nice.

Sirhr

Very interesting rifles, I was at a gun show once in Fort Dodge IA, and it was dominated by these types of rifles.Probably 200+ They are all works of art. I dont know if Ill ever own one. I would shoot one given the chance. But I do respect the craftsmanship.